Hondo's Bar

Arrested Development

I just saw the Maeby episode and it was hilarious. I always forget how funny Maeby is. The story structure they are doing is super impressive on this season, the way all the episodes more or less retread over the same events, revealing easter eggs from the previous times we've seen them. I'll withhold finale judgment until I've finished the season, but I don't understand why you guys are saying it's not as good as the first three seasons.

I'm only two eps in so my opinion will probably change, but it feels like they're making the jokes and hell, the format more accessible to a wider audience. Seasons 1-3 from ep one to last had jokes of varying degrees of thinking or connecting info involved which for better or worse was why it didn't spin a lot of cash.. Michael's & George Sr's eps both seemed hesitant to take any risks with the jokes.

But then it could also be that it's stuffed itself to the gills with cameos and relied-upon comedy relief like Seth Rogan & Kirsten Wig(who by the way just come across to me as Kirsten & Seth doing poor impressions of the Bluths). I hope the Workaholics crew pop up later, but that seemed like a wasted opportunity as well.

I like the format you guys say it's taking though with a shorter timeline, so maybe it'll grow on me.

I enjoyed this season more than any previous season. It felt like a natural progression from season 3 and I lost that "something's different" misgiving about four episodes in. I liked the complexity of the narrative and how each character grew, I liked the knew characters (debrie and marky especially), I liked Ron Howard, I liked all the call-backs that didn't feel to gimmicky, i like that all but a handful of characters returned for at least one good moment (the bob loblaw law bomb was probably my favorite), i like that they turned the dumb Andy ricter quintuplets joke from season 3 into comedy good.

I did not like Kristen wiig and Seth Rogan as you George Sr. And Lucille (though wiig does a decent Lucille), did not care for Michael's story (which is to be expected since I've never cared for the episodes where Michael behaved especially Bluthy, i didn't like how little Buster there was outside of his own episode, and i didn't like how many plot threads were left hanging with the future so uncertain.

Favorite episodes were probably Tobias, Maebe (thank God they decided to give her some character l, she was the most underutilized in prior seasons), and Gob. Also Ann was great in this, i never expected her parts to be as funny as they were.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Arrested Development season 5 will be a "serialized murder mystery" sez Mitch Hurwitz

Creator Mitch Hurwitz is chomping at the bit and hoping to get Season 5 out before the November Presidential elections, he shared in a party conversation. Working with a team of writers, has the season outlined, but complex negotiations with the cast over scheduling are still ongoing, and it is unclear yet who will be available to come back as all have other commitments. Once he knows which actors are signed, Hurwitz will start writing the scripts. One other reason he is putting that off until the last second — because there has been so much art imitating life over the past months, that he has had to constantly rewrite storyli

Season 5 of Arrested Development is in the vein of Making a Murderer, noted Hurwitz, a big fan of the real-crime documentary series.

Still, there is plenty in the Season 5 storylines to make it feel original yet timely and ripped-from-the-headlines. The key is to start production soon, something Hurwitz is hopeful about.

notsureifwant.jpg

seriously, this show remains in my top 5 comedies, and i couldn't finish season 4. one of its biggest flaws was that the cast couldn't be around in the same eps, and this sounds like more of the same...ehhhhh

• 4 months later...

Mitch Hurwitz: Arrested Development is definitely returning but not before election

It'll happen. It'll definitely happen. Not before the election, but it's definitely going to happen. I say that because the actors want to do it, the studio wants to do it, Netflix wants to do it, I want to do it. It's just making it happen. There's no one resisting. There's a recut, too, of the fourth season, just to make it airable on TV. They're like the old Arrested Developments. We redid all the narration and reshot a few little things. Now we have 22 episodes, and they're delightful to watch and they're much less work than the Netflix series. My hope is we'll find a place to air those.

just read that season 4 is also gonna be recut to show more than 1 point of view per ep (like the prior 3 seasons did), thinking i'm gonna enjoy that a lot more than what we got

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Arrested Development Season 5 episodes are "really close" - whole cast returning

Yes, we have been down this road before, but this time it looks like it is finally happening: a deal for a fifth season of Emmy-winning comedy series Arrested Development on Netflix. Creator Mitch Hurwitz, Netflix and producing companies 20th Century Fox TV and Imagine TV had long expressed their full commitment to doing a fifth installment of the cult comedy. The main stumbling block had been signing the cast as all actors have other engagements.

“We are close,” Arrested Development executive producer Brian Grazer told Deadline at TCA, where Imagine TV is presenting two new Fox drama series, 24: Legacy and Shots Fired. “I think we found a way to create the compensation structure for all the actors and create a work matrix so they can still make movies and do other things and it will all integrate. So we are really close — I think within a couple of weeks at the most.”

my beef with season 4 was mostly that it didn't feel like an ensamble cast, you could clearly tell they had tight filming schedules and the magic felt lost. didn't help that the jokes felt...meaner? i'm looking forward to what hurwitz (sp?) said about releasing it recut to fix a lot of that though.

the show shined during the bush years, i'm excited to see them get another go, much less with the coming administration!

That's true but I'm not going to hold that against it. I didn't feel the jokes were meaner but I do dislike when Michael acts like a Bluth. I can see why it turned a lot of people off, the narrative structure was super complicated but I loved the way it kept showing different angles of the same scene as it grew. My only complaint was that it ended on a very anticlimactic note but the writing was impressive and it had some great jokes (the George Michael/Boy George/George Maharris was such a clever play on a weird coincidence that I didn't even get till later) but there were some ridiculously funny moments throughout.

I liked sea

my beef with season 4 was mostly that it didn't feel like an ensamble cast, you could clearly tell they had tight filming schedules and the magic felt lost. didn't help that the jokes felt...meaner? i'm looking forward to what hurwitz (sp?) said about releasing it recut to fix a lot of that though.

the show shined during the bush years, i'm excited to see them get another go, much less with the coming administration!

Yeah, the ensemble feel was lost in favor of different character arcs. That's a fair criticism. Arguably what made S1-3 so great was having most or all of those characters together in the same room. S4 didn't have them all even in the same episode.

However, I'm more with Ryan in that I dug S4. I didn't love it, but I liked it. Also, it was a real production and storytelling triumph with all the story intersects, overlaps, and flashbacks. I didn't think the ending was anticlimactic either. The crux of this series is the bond between George Michael and his dad. S4 ends with that bond shattered. I'm curious to see if S5 will be another time jump or if it'll pick up there and hopefully see Michael reconnect with his son.

i admittedly bailed about halfway through & never returned, so i gotta ask: no one else thought it was a bit meaner?

baytor pointed out micheal sr being more a bluth, but tobias was no longer tongue-in-cheek gay jokes so much as just flatly saying it; lindsay didn't just flirt, she cheated/got used, etc. i know i'm forgetting stuff but the tone struck me as different in a way i couldn't quite put my finger on

• 2 weeks later...

Arrested Development's Surprising Season 5 Premise/Format Revealed — It's Going to Be Part (Spoiler)!

Although Netflix declined to confirm/comment, TVLine has learned exclusively that Arrested Development‘s long-gestating fifth season will likely have a major prequel element, with potentially half of the action unfolding in flashbacks featuring much younger versions of all the principal characters (played by different actors).

...gonna have to see how this goes, i guess!