Hondo's Bar

Arrested Development

• 3 months later...

Arrested Development officially renewed for season 5 on Netflix

The Bluths are returning to Netflix.

The streaming giant has finally confirmed that it's ordered a fifth season of the cult comedy. Creator Mitchell Hurwitz and the entire series regular cast — including Jason Bateman, Michael Cera, Jeffrey Tambor, Jessica Walter, Will Arnett, Tony Hale, Portia de Rossi, David Cross and Alia Shawkat — will return for the new episodes, which will premiere in 2018.

The announcement comes a week after Bateman tweeted that he had closed a deal to star in more episodes of the show. Sources told The Hollywood Reporter at the time that Hurwitz's deal was done weeks ago and that the writers room had already started up.

Arrested Development originally ran on Fox from 2003-2006, and won an Emmy for best comedy series in 2004. The streamer first brought back the comedy in May 2013. The entire nine-person ensemble returned for season four, which consisted of 15 episodes. At the time, Hurwitz said that the fourth season was just the beginning of the show's second act.

“In talks with Netflix we all felt that that stories about a narcissistic, erratically behaving family in the building business -- and their desperate abuses of power -- are really underrepresented on TV these days,” said Hurwitz. “I am so grateful to them and to 20th TV for making this dream of mine come true in bringing the Bluths, George Sr., Lucille and the kids; Michael, Ivanka, Don Jr., Eric, George-Michael, and who am I forgetting, oh Tiffany. Did I say Tiffany? — back to the glorious stream of life.”

4wayQTCh.jpg

Z8hbhna.gif

• 11 months later...

I finished a couple episodes, and it seems to flow better. There are some new jokes here and there to keep it fresh for people who are returning to the series. I can't seem to find the original cut of season 4, but it would be nice to be able to actually compare the two.

I think the original cut is just above the new epsiodes. Like if you select S4, the old episodes appear right above the remix. I'm referencing this from a PS4 though. I dunno how it looks on other devices.

• 3 weeks later...

Well that NYT interview sounded.... Fun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2018/05/24/arrested-development-star-jessica-walter-addresses-jeffrey-tambors-verbal-harassment-her-male-co-stars-defend-him/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a61217adb936

Jason Bateman always seems to come across as a huge douchebag, so this isn't really surprising. Really disappointed in the male cast members here.

Will Arnett seems to have done alright in there.

That said, I read Bateman's apology and he may be the only person I'm inclined to believe.  I'm probably a rube but he at least sounded like he didn't realize what an ass he was being and will try to be better in the future.  We'll see, obviously, but maybe?

nah, haven't gotten around to the remix season 4 yet either 

i saw bateman walked back some of his fuckery but by all accounts, that was david cross doing what he does. can't lie, whenever i do check this out, they put a damper on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally caught the first 8 episodes of S5, and they were...okay. The season was definitely hindered by the casts lack of availability, and the weird shots of actors shot from the back with stand-ins are used so often that they're maybe (Maebe?) meant as an actual gag, but I found them off putting. 

Speaking of Maebe, she's the best part about S5 thus far and got the biggest and most consistent laughs from me. Buster's plotline is a close second. George Michael also has a decent storyline. Tobias & GOB really just had one joke throughout the whole season that kept being repeated in slightly different ways, which sometimes worked but more often didn't. Lucille & George are pretty forgettable. Lindsey is practically non-existent and Michael is still the thread that kind of ties the whole thing together. 

I hope the back 8 episodes of S5can salvage storylines and hopefully send this series out on a high note. It feels like it's reached its expiration date.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

I was really excited about S5. Like, super "let's stay up and watch the trailer and go through the website even though I have to be at work early tomorrow" excited.

That whole thing leading up to the release just...I dunno, deflated it. I can't bring myself to watch it. I don't know if I was that particular event specifically, or just kind of a build up from a bunch of stuff like that (Tambor v. Amazon, etc.)

I dunno...the more I hear about it, the less I'm excited about it. Kinda sucks...

9 hours ago, Stilly said:

That whole thing leading up to the release just...I dunno, deflated it. I can't bring myself to watch it. I don't know if I was that particular event specifically, or just kind of a build up from a bunch of stuff like that (Tambor v. Amazon, etc.)

I dunno...the more I hear about it, the less I'm excited about it. Kinda sucks...

I can see that happening, and while it has to suck as a fan, I honestly hope more fans feel the same way. These people shouldn't get a pass because they're on a beloved show. I told Nick I'd prefer he didn't watch the new episodes on the Netflix I pay for because I refuse to support it. So he'll likely watch it somewhere else. 

But I am glad to hear Maebe was a highlight for you, @Mr. Hakujin. Alia Shawkat is amazing and was the only cast member to defend Jessica Walter (if even with one sentence) in that horrible interview. She's just awesome. I hope she moves on to better things!! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Donatella said:

I can see that happening, and while it has to suck as a fan, I honestly hope more fans feel the same way.

I agree with this (and all the other points). I know there's the whole "separate the art from the artist", but that breaks down at a certain point. I mean, hell, it's not very entertaining to find out that some of your favorite entertainers are pieces of shit. Kinda ruins the experience.

I hate putting it like that because it feels like I'm focusing on me, here. "They should be less shitty so that I can get more enjoyment out of what they do" which really isn't how I mean that. They should be less shitty, because people shouldn't be shitty, but if they are shitty, they should be held accountable for their shitty actions. Etc.

Which sucks.

• Like 1

I didn't know anything about the interview or Tambor's outburst until I was done with the 8 episodes. It certainly doesn't help things when looking back on the episodes. Walters & Tambor have an odd energy in their S5.1 scenes. In the show they're kinda getting divorced, and George (at the risk of spoilers) isn't quite his normal self. However, maybe (Maebe?) their on air weirdness and lack of scenes had more to do with off air occurrences.

It's hard to say if not watching S5 will make any difference whatsoever, @Donatella. Netflix is notorious for keeping their "ratings" a secret. And since they got rid of the star rating system we can't see what other users think of a show/film. The other 8 episodes are ordered and likely being shot. And Netflix already has your money as a subscriber, so probably the best way to show your dislike of what went down would be to cancel and make reasons known on social media or to send an email or both.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Hakujin said:

It's hard to say if not watching S5 will make any difference whatsoever, @Donatella. Netflix is notorious for keeping their "ratings" a secret. And since they got rid of the star rating system we can't see what other users think of a show/film. The other 8 episodes are ordered and likely being shot. And Netflix already has your money as a subscriber, so probably the best way to show your dislike of what went down would be to cancel and make reasons known on social media or to send an email or both.

Oh, I wasn't trying to make a difference or send a message to Netflix. If the outrage after that interview (or the harassment claims against Tambor) doesn't convince them to make changes, I'm sure one person avoiding a show definitely won't. I just don't want it viewed on a subscription I pay for. 

• 1 month later...