Hondo's Bar

Star Wars: Episode II

...i should import a thread from Preacher's Divinity, a member of this board as well (Johny) is debatin that Lucas' use of new technology is an attempt to bully out indie films, the way Bill Gates did with Microsoft & smaller software companies.

Ill bring the good points over later, just wanted to put it out there & see what anyone else thought.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd want to know more about the arguement over digital vs film.  I've heard that one of Lucas' arguements is that it'll help out indie filmmakers... It's cheaper to use a digital camera than to spend thousands of dollars on film.  If there is a switch, it needs to be more gradual than lucas wants it.  Every great cinematographer and director today is used to film, used to the way the lighting works and how to get a certain texture to it and everything else.  They shouldn't have to relearn everything they know because one guy wants his movie shown a certain way.  I'd like to know the pros and cons to it though.

Here ya go, Junker - Digital debate.

It starts at the bottom of page 1 with Johnny Marr (aka Johny on this board), pretty one-sided from there on out but some fine points, lemme know what ya think....i couldnt honestly say what i thought it'd do to the indie scene.  I can always PM Johny to stop by this thread if ya wanna discuss it, tho.

Pretty interesting way of looking at things.  I could see how it would hurt indie theaters because they make lots of their money by having one screen show a big movie while the other screens show indie stuff, but I don't think that not being able to show star wars will break their bank.  Worst that will happen is that they'll lose some money come episode 3, but they can plan ahead for that.  All of the independant theaters I've been to don't show stuff like star wars at all, so i dont know how "normal" independant theaters work, but all the places down in coral gables and fort lauderdale that never show blockbusters seem to be doing fine. It's certainly unfair for the whole industry to change because lucas wants his film to be seen "the way its intended."  Fuck, if he wants it that goddamned badly, why doesn't he pay to put all of those DP screens up?  It's not the theater's fault he wants to be different.  If I shoot a movie and I intend it only to be seen in theaters where there is a screen on all four walls, I can't hardly expect the whole world to change on my whim.  I'd say that Lucas will get enough of them built that there is at least a couple in every major area, but will give in and let normal theaters project ep 3.  It'd be great if most theaters said "fuck you, without theaters to show your movie, you're nothing" and just refused, forcing him to let them show it on non DP screens...

Lucas has sworn not to make epi3 digitally exclusive. He wants the medium to move that way, but he not going to limit his film to digital only. He doesn't want to be a Bill Gates. I honestly believe he is more concerned with making movie and showing them in the best quality possible, but in order to do that, there have to be digital screens in more locations than just Skywalker Ranch. It's like his arguement about how it's like black and white to color. The first color film was the Wizard of Oz in 1938. People loved it, but tons of movie makers thoguh black and white was more artistic and color looked to intense and this and that. Nobody forced them to change, and even into the 1950s several hollywood studio films were shot in black and white until color basically became the norm. No one's forcing DP on anyone (yet). Digital films can be converted to film and Film films can be converted to digital, so a film maker using digital doesn't have to worry about whether his film can be seen on the majority of projectors and theater don't have to worry that they won't be able to show Film films on there digital projectors. Eventually, the prices of digital projector with go down then we'll see that digital is the standard, and a film shot on film will be like schindler's List being in black and white.

Well i think now that i have seen this movie i feel i am able to post in this thread!! Unlike some of my previous uninformed drunked rants!!!

Well first things first, it was a decent film, but there were a few things that i didn't like.

1st the whole soppy romantic angle with Christian and Portman, the film was slow enough withouth concentrating on their budding romance the way it did.

There was the blatant Bladerunner rip off when Obi Wan & Anakin were chasing the assassin!!

Dodgy script in places, those puns from C3PO don't get better!!

However on a lighter note,

The fight scenes were excellent. I mean come on Yoda in a light sabre fight Kick Ass!!

The big Jedi battle in the middle of the arena which kind of looked like the roman colleseum, that was cool, and especially Jango Fett's death!!!

Then the war with the clone army just class.

However this film didn't warrant the hype, it was AVERAGE!!

btw IMO Episode 1 was better!!  :p

Whoa, wait a sec! Epi1 better than Epi2? How do you figure that. How long has it been since you've seen Epi1? Have you forget how bad it was (by star wars  standards, byt normal movie standards it think it was just okay)? That is a bold Statement. Might as well say that The Godfather Part III was the best in the series.

I understand what you mean when you say it's average, but I think the visual effects push it way above.  Sure, the script isn't too great, the pacing is soso, acting was just blah, but throughout the entire thing there's these insanely cool looking buildings, creatures, and environments to look at.  The script could have been nothing but the characters reading the dictionary in between action scenes and I wouldn't have minded because the screen was always filled with so much cool shit that I was entertained either way.  As far as I'm concerned, ILM was more responsible for my enjoyment of the movie than Lucas was, by far.  I just think that the movie looked good enough to elevate it above any complaints you could have... unless you dont care much about visuals...

Aside:  If Yoda was anywhere near as corny as those freakin' Sayajins, we'd be on Episode 14 right now waiting for him to hit the guy back.  Don't insult him by putting DBZ anywhere near his level.

:hmph:

Eventhough I think Yoda's awesome, make no mistake Vegita would still beath the snot out of him and all the Jedi.

1 attack - 1/8th of the Eath gone.

Perhaps this side topic should continue in Fight Club??? :D

(Artistic, you're welcome for the free promo.)

Well, duh. Of course they are both shit compared to the trilogy. I could say I like Tom Clancy's books better than the writings of Charlie Sheen, but they're both shit compared to Shakespeare. I thought it went without saying that the trilogy is better than these two prequel, but evidently some people think Epi2 is better than some of the trilogy.

I thought Episode II made IV look like watchin grass grow, but i was never really excited bout "A New Hope" anyway, might just be me.

Id agree with many tho, Empire is still the most eventful one of the lot, id prolly call it the best.

>Heh

But going back for a sec, in my opinion AOTC is better than ROTJ, seriously that movie is total and utter pish! The Phantom Menace is even better! Thus, in order of preference so far:

The Empire Strikes Back

Attack Of The Clones

A New Hope

The Phantom Menace

Return Of The Jedi