Hondo's Bar

Invincible

The NZA

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that was indeed a good take, shame the book kinda ended meh for me.

that said, the very angle youre looking for there...im willing to bet you'd be interested in Invincible if you kept at it. it does a lotta wacky/fun stuff in the meantime, but the meat of it that has to do with that alternate Superman angle...again, that's what hooked me onto the book.

I gotta settle in and finish everything up to 69 or so that I currently have. Man, having ASC of all folks show early mistrust warms my heart, and makes me believe all of Hondos isn't Kirkman's-dick-riding-fuckwanks.

ASC- stick with this one though man, it can get a little Coronation st, but the meat & potatoes are well-substantial.

oh oh look at me go im the fucking prophet up on the mountains because i call mediocre ultimate x-men stories and marvel zombies "shit" god dont you just want to touch me

swear to god, on another comic forum i got another "kirkman is shit on marvel books" dude with less pis & vinegar. he's not entirely wrong (im remembering that the Ultimate Marvel Team-Up shit i liked was mostly bendis), he just doesnt think he's a fanboy's savior for saying so. all im saying is: being a fan of good books and sleeping on Invincible and Walking Dead, for whatever reason, does a disservice to you, not me.

I don't sleep on them, I just don't purchase them.

I slept on WD intentionally for a while because it got boring to the point of coma-inducing. I then caught up to 50 or so and caugth some of the best villianery I've ever seen. My distaste for Kirkman mostly comes from the euphoric joy you people seem to get from his words when he's had two quantifiable hits(in terms of quality, not pop-culture-whorery like Zombies) in a sea of mediocrity right down to absolute shit. I'll admit that his run on Ultimate Xmen(which I still haven't finished it got so damned boring) was more mediocre than awful.

Invincible, I don't recall ever having a bad word to say about in spite of the platform it's given me for this ridiculous self-depricating bullshit he does.

but...ive done nothing but praise mostly these 2 books of his, and they're quality. i dont think i ever gave him my coveted "writer of the year", at that. hell, panch was on his forum for a while, i still dont know where this self-deprivation you rant of comes from. im guessing i should read his letter columns more? i mean, bendis is a huge dick in his, but that's his shtick.

So I'm up in the mid-fifties right now, god this guy loves hawking his other shit. If Invincible weren't so busy crossing over with Wolfman I could dig seeing Rick Grimes show up somewhere. Other than that, it's still a relatively interesting book. Even the boring fucking decomp bits like eating lunch with his mum and fucking Eve are few & far between and there's enough intersting bits spidered through so's to avoid just glossing over entire issues. #50 stands out as a highlight so far.

• 1 month later...

haha...marvel got spoofed.

ggtease1_inv_72dpi_02.jpg

Newsarama: http://www.newsarama.com/comics/imag...er-100315.html

Borrowing generously and intentionally from Marvel’s recent series of Avengers teasers of the last month, on Monday afternoon Image Comics released the following teaser image featuring INVINCIBLE, with the tag lines “I’ve never really been much of a team player, and “I’m a member of the Guardians of the Globe – August 2010”

Post-Image United, is the major superteam of Image Comics finally getting their own series?

• 2 months later...

aw, man - you're gonna regret that. where'd you leave off? you're potentially skipping the road to the Viltrumite (sp?) War, which has been great.

wish i could convince you to shop online, you'd find those issues on ebay or the like with a quickness.

I just wanna enroll at Dogfarts.

I caught up a while ago and can see the newest trade getting into the road to... but when's 71/72 due to drop?

sidenote NZA- have you seen the cover to Deadpool 11? It's embarassing to geekasm that hard in a store

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed. So fucking good. This is the book I've gotten back into the hardest since my hiatus from comics. I've gotten caught up (mostly... missing random issues here and there) and I can't get enough. Kirkman is the MAN! Two issues into this Viltrumite War and CRAZINESS!

fuck, now that was a fight.

cant wait to see how CIA (parking in rear) Cecil answers to this shit. props to Kirkman for genuinely having me think Oliver was gonna eat it there.

oh shit this book's even got arnah reading, nice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GTG_promo.jpg

Image Comics announced Wednesday it has renamed it's upcoming Invincible spin-off series by Robert Kirkman, Benito Cereno and Ransom Getty from "Guardians of the Globe" to Guarding the Globe.

Image did not explain the title change. Newsarama can't help but speculate if the name change has anything to with Marvel's similarly titled "Guardians of the Galaxy."

The full text of the official announcement follows...

WHAT'S IN A NAME?

Guardians of the Globe miniseries now titled GUARDING THE GLOBE

Berkeley, CA - 30 June 2010 - Image Comics announces a name change for the six-issue Guardians of the Globe miniseries: GUARDING THE GLOBE.

The first issue of the six-issue miniseries, cowritten by Robert Kirkman (INVINCIBLE, THE WALKING DEAD) and Benito Cereno (INVINCIBLE PRESENTS: ATOM EVE & REX SPLODE, HECTOR PLASM) and illustrated by newcomer Ransom Getty, will be in stores in August.

In GUARDING THE GLOBE, heroes both familiar and new struggle to protect Earth in Invincible's absence. As the Viltrumite War rages on within the pages of INVINCIBLE, the ranks of the Guardians of the Globe are suddenly depleted. The world is in danger, and the team is in search of new blood. It's the biggest recruitment drive since Omni-Man slaughtered the original members. But will it be in time to stop The Order? This series is a can't-miss action extravaganza, with one-page backups by Chris Giarrusso (G-MAN, Mini-Marvels) featuring the Guardians of the Globe that never were: Invincible, Spawn, Rick Grimes, Barack Obama, and Gary Popper!

GUARDING THE GLOBE #1 (of 6), a 32-page full-color comic featuring a backup story by Chris Giarrusso, will be on sale for $3.50 on August 25, 2010.

Is it me or are they over thinking this a little?

• 4 weeks later...

Man, Invincible... (#74)

So damn good.

Also, Guardians of the Globe Guarding the Globe was cool. Wanna see more. First issue just seemed like a showcase for the artist (pretty fuckin' good).

BONUS!

SCIENCE DOG SPECIAL #!

sciencedogspecial.jpg

I guess, cause Invincible shipped late, Kirkman wanted to give back to the fans with this masterpiece! Nah, seriously though, fun stuff. Too bad it was a one shot...

Still, I see more to come!

• 7 months later...