Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

The NZA

Wouldn't matter w/ TWD, crim. It's not a Preacher or Y: The Last Man with a set end in sight. Kirkman has pretty much said he'll be writing this book on his death bed.

Or until people stop buying it. Which has me thinking, what could really happen to fuck this book up so much that it becomes financially unviable?

If the quality stays more or less consistent its tough to see this story going away for quite some time.

If the quality stays more or less consistent its tough to see this story going away for quite some time.

If Spawn can make it for 20+ years, then TWD's half-life has to be no less than that.

Is there any history or precedent on creator-owned titles being continued after the death of the creator-owner? I guessing the inheritor(s) of Kirkman's estate could hire anyone one they'd want to write the book.

That's a very good question. I wonder if Kirkman's ever answered that in an interview, what would become of TWD property if he died or would he ever relinquish writing duties in the distant future?

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, Logan said it. Issues 100-106 have been solid, really great stuff. Issue 107 was filler. It was a big let down coming off of those previous issues.

The big reveal is Negan ain't "totally" crazy? He CAN be reasonable? Whew. That's a relief.

And if you look in the letter's column Kirkman's new editor called him out on the cheeziness of how he ended issue 107. Those first two paragraphs of the letters column w/ Kirkman & Sean's comments to each other was the best part of the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Edit: This is just a reprint of Issue 27 with a few pages in the beginning of a Governor 'origin story' that was originally printed in the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund's Liberty Annual 2012.

So, for those that just pick up the main title issues and might not be aware of it, there is a new Governor Special. Not sure how many issues it'll be. There are two covers.

THE-WALKING-DEAD-Governor-Special-1-666x1024.jpg

2868050-twdgovernorhastings_super.jpg

Edited by Reverend Jax

No, it's neither. Like I said above:

Edit: This is just a reprint of Issue 27 with a few pages in the beginning of a Governor 'origin story' that was originally printed in the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund's Liberty Annual 2012.

I learned it after I posted it, so instead of deleting the original post, I put that edit at the top.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just read issue #112. Damn. Well done, Kirkman.

That flipping of The Untouchables line was pretty great. Not sure what this means for Rick, but it ain't good. Negan keeps on about how reasonable he is, but we already had the false "Wrath of Negan" cliffhanger with Carl. I think Rick is in for some serious ass whoopin'--maybe even a maiming.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 months later...

whoops! shoulda wrote bi-weekly, thrizzle. mah bad. well, it's technically not bi-weekly, but they're putting out 12 issues in roughly 7 months I believe. it was a weird schedule kinda. they published it in the letters section of issue 114. let me look it up...

here it is from ye oulde kirkman's mouth:

With "All Out War" releasing bi-weekly instead of monthly, does this affect the release dates of the trade paperbacks?

It will ramp it up a bit. We'll have three trades out in a year instead of two, so that will be an extra bonus for retailers and fans to be able to get an extra trade in one year. That will also get us to "The Walking Dead: Compendium Three" a little faster.

Was your decision to speed up the release of this arc at all influenced by "The Walking Dead" fans becoming accustomed to seeing an episode of the show weekly on AMC?

Maybe subconsciously, a little. It bugs me to no end that there are people on my Twitter feed who come to the comics from the show and wonder why it takes so long for the comic to come out and ask why we're always late. "The Walking Dead" has been on time for three or four years! We've been doing a minimum of 12 issues every year, more in most years! Ultimately, it's exciting because these people love it and they want more, but they assume the book is late because it's not at pace with the show.

Was ramping up the release schedule something you had planned before you began receiving tweets from fans who discovered the comic via the show?

I've been talking to [series artist] Charlie Adlard about going bi-weekly since issue #10. He's incredibly fast and I knew he could handle it. There was always a plan of getting ahead and eventually getting to a point where we had a bunch of issues banked and could ship bi-weekly. I love telling the story, and the more I can tell, the more excited I am. We're pretty well ahead of schedule right now, and Charlie's always been able to do this. The only thing holding it back was me! I've been committed to doing this and now it's happening!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So this issue...

What a fucking cop-out. Something legitimately scary and game-changing happened, but nope just people disguised as zombies. I know Panch some people are purists that zombies don't talk or use tools properly and all that but I felt chills when the one with the knife was talking to the guy. This issue felt really short, too.

okay but

i mean if that had panned out, as you said, it'd be completely game-changing - and there's a lotta ways it wouldn't execute well at all. i was nervous reading it before the reveal because it really felt like kirkman could be painting himself into a corner, i can see where it's a cop-out for you but i was relieved

Nah

Fast/smart zombies are only a problem when they're a prevalent trend ala Return of the Living Dead/The Rising but when they're a 1 in 500 anomaly they spice things up a bit. We've reached a point where the zombies are little more than background noise. Even a full-on super herd is no longer an issue, this is no longer a horror book it's a SciFi post apocalyptic book about feudal politics and the scary is all gone. Small groups of smart zombies could go a long way toward making it scary again because Kirkman's already painted himself into a corner. These new fuckers are probably Negan's and they're gonna break him out and try and overthrow the system, Rick will most likely die but either that puts a stop to their new idyllic civilization or it doesn't. Either option is going to feel like a copout. The only new angles they really have left is for some remnant of the US government or maybe a foreign military force coming upon the survivors. This is the longest running zombie series ever and if they don't figure out something soon this is going to be more stagnant than the prison arc.