Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

The NZA

Issue 100 wasn't as groundshaking as I expected but I think we officially have a worse bad guy than the governor.

That was nasty fucking end for poor Glenn. I was genuinely bummed to see him die so horribly. I eagerly anticipate Ricks retribution. Rather than the end of the community, I'll wager Glenns death will galvanise them and send the community on the warpath. Another possibility is they bend over and take Negans "taxes" for a while. That could also be interesting.

I was thinking Andrea or Michonne, they both were telegraphing a horrible death. (And I have a feeling they still may be.) But when Glenn started talking about the future, well that's like when the old cop starts talking about how he's two weeks away from retirement. Andrew Dice-Clay Negan is an evil fuck and I have a feeling that he's going to be put through worse than the governor was.

Major.Fucking.Disappointment.

If Kirkman hadn't hyped the ever loving hell out of this issue (contests, websites, interviews, etc.) then I'd likely be very pleased w/ the issue as a whole, but we get one major moment and the rest is filler. Maddening, uneventful, filler. I was expecting spectacle, something monumental, hell, at least some extra pages. I was expecting a Walking Dead S2 type ending in terms of action. Nope.

What I did like about the issue though was the suspense Kirkman created preceding the reveal of Neagan. It was masterful...

We start of w/ three Neganheads planning on an attack. We assume they're talking about at the community b/c we next see Andrea perched atop the wall, just waiting to die. We get a few panels around the community and then cut to our group of travelers heading to The Hilltop.

Right away astute readers know the community is safe this issue,those first few pages were a red herring (filler), and someone/everyone in the van is fucked. How do we know this? Kirkman employs a weak plot device to put our group in danger.

Rick: Duhh, sowwy, guys. I didn't know it was this far. Let's stop here in a highly vulnerable location for the night.

Everyone: Yeah!

We get a nice character moment between Rick & Michonne. "Uh, oh," thinks the reader. Is this setting up one of our BIG TWO to go down? Rick's capture on guard duty, was again some great suspense. Annnnnd here's where it all goes downhill for me.

Neagan's look is unoriginal and spoiled on the cover. The dialogue Kirkman wrote for him was just awful. He's the type of guy that says fuck every other word yet says "pee-pee pants"? And that wonderful use of suspense Kirkman employed earlier in the issue is just gone, vaporized. Instead Kirkman tries to create suspense of who will die by using 11 panels of "eeny-meeny-miney-mo." Seriously? I know Tarantino did it for Zed back in the 90s and it worked, but it still just came off as lame to me here.

Then both Glen and the reader literally get beaten over the head w/ idiotic exposition form Neagan: "Hey readers Rick, zombies aren't your problem, evil motherfuckers like me are. This is something NEW, NEW, NEW! Everything is gonna CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE! Ignore the fact you realized this very concept 70 issues ago w/ The Governor or . It's gonna be different this time!"

*sigh*

The forthcoming issues have big potential, but the build up was bogus.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Why God Kirkman, why?!

I don't agree with Haku. I think it was well done. Everything has been weak for a while now. Yeah, we had the Abraham death which was crazy. But before that, what? The Carl thing? I don't know, that just felt like forever ago. Finally, some action! And legit buildup. Not great, but legit. Let's get this book back on track :)

he's not the coolest villain, but what he did was pretty gut-wrenching. and shane - what exactly are they gonna do? he had a crew 50 men strong, not including the raiding camp, eevn afer they killed a number of them. "we just got one of our guys mutilated in front of us and coudlnt do anything, let's all unite against them!" isnt going to be a very moving battle cry for the people in jesus' town either.

Retribution?

I think it won't come in a "War." At least not if the Hilltop & Alexandria hope to have any real survival rate. Best bet to get rid of Negan's gang is a small group infiltration of his camp. Sniper Andrea covers the six, and the small group plants explosives and makes 'em all go badaboom.

Will that happen though? Meh, gotta wait and see.

again, i can't see it. they can't hang, even with your bat-plan there. that's kindve the point now.

actually, i was reading about it on another forum and had a few points i was sharing with panch, wanted to post em here too (as well as address some of haku's complaints)

- Neegran is interesting. yeah, he talks like a punk teenager, but he seems like the kind've psycho who could keep this outfit together/behaving, i was kinda knocking the similarities/cycle between governor slowly hacking off Tyrese's head and the brutal shit that went down here with Glenn, but there's some important distinctions: for one, the gov ran a small town of sorts, people who seemed like they reluctantly opted for him vs the wild but weren't really on board with bumrushing the prison. Neg runs what looks like 50-100 fucking monsters, so let's say Rick magically ninjas his way in & gets revenge: what then? all those dogs are off the leash, that's not something that ties up as we leave the prison.

- Unlike Abraham, Glenn felt safe for being from the OG crew but looking back, the writing was indeed on the wall, as you guys said. still, re-reading that issue, i went from anger to nasuea, that was so fucking brutal. the bit when he cries for maggie is too fucking much for me.

- the expostion was talking directly to the reader about the new direction. i get that haku sees & didnt like this, but its still important we transition from the first to 2nd half of 28 days later and let people know the book is now changed: the world is bigger and the zombies are pretty much not gonna be the problem from here on out, this isnt something that can be resolved in a single arc and go back to safety. i dont even know where rick's people could go now, this could easily be a year or more of them under dude's thumb. that long stretch that some of us felt was losing momentum, while they were planting seeds and securing the town was just to pull the rug out again from this part of the cycle..they've got so many characters left to shed in whatever happens next. if Andrea walks away from the raid, i'll be pretty surprised.

- kinda felt like Kirkman was not-so-subtly putting the future out there with the "who's this future serial killer? his story's way too interesting" bit on Carl: i kept wondering when Rick was gonna address his obviously growing sociopathy, but it's become quite clear that's the least of his worries now. popular theory ive seen elsewhere reminds me of season 4 or so of battlestar: people think we'll fast forward a decade or so at some point and see a hardened Carl lead the only real successful rise up againt this group, not sure if i buy the jump but we're clearly going into some dark territory with the torch-passing, i almost wonder if Carl is the one in the group to get Neg and do something worse than Michonne did with his predecessor.

- i didn't catch it, but the "Something to Fear" covers almost clearly shows Daryl's crossbow - how much you wanna bet he & his brother are in Neg's crew, and one will defect? Panch was saying Kirkman's said he's already inbound, and maybe Abe's death was to pave the way for a new right hand/muscle to Rick.

ill be honest, the book was slow/losing momentum for me too, this has me dying to know what happens at the camp, what rick's plan is, how long i have to wait for smething horrific to happen to Neg, etc. i hate what happend like a motherfucker, but im back on.

...Neg runs what looks like 50-100 fucking monsters, so let's say Rick magically ninjas his way in & gets revenge: what then? all those dogs are off the leash, that's not something that ties up as we leave the prison...

I'm not sure you're understanding the concept of 'splosions here. . .

Jesus, Rick, Michonne, etc. team goes in w/ butt-load of explosives (likely put together by the fat guy that was w/ Abraham when he got toasted) to Negans camp, team sneaks out, sets off charges. Bad guys go boom. BIG badaboom. Andrea and the explosive team surround the perimeter of Negan's camp and pick off the remains. I'm not saying it will happen this way, but it is a feasible plan.

Also, they could load up a few semi trailers full of walkers strapped w/ explosives and kamikaze them into Negan's camp. Likely not as effective as the above plan, but it could be done in addition to the team sneaking in to plant explosives.

let's pretend they both survive the next issue, cause it's not garunteed.

you saw when they took stock of ammo, right? they're dangerously low to be starting with such a large group, and we're also assuming those 50 + the squad waiting to invade the town is everybody...Rick's assumption on their #'s just got Glenn horrifically killed so that feels unwise. also, i know you're a bat-fan but semtex doesn't grow on trees! i don't think ive seen a single plastic explosive i can recall, it's been forever since even a grenade and that's not enough. i can't see that plan as feasible, and zombie-bombs are hard to pull off in non-Millar books.

the bigger point being: in know you didn't seem to dig Neg's speech, but again, it was aimed directly at the reader, letting them know the score from 100 on - to tidy up the situation that quick isn't just a cop-out, it kinda defeats the purpose. i could be wrong but this feels like the new status quo, im thinking Rick's group is enslaved just as hard (if not worse, i forget if half is the going rate for "protection) as Hilltop for at least a year, like the prison arc.

Yeah, but my whole point about that speechifying of the new status quo is that it's not so new (Gov., Cannibals, etc.). So you obviously don't think things will be wrapped up by the end of this arc w/ Negan and more of Rick's ppl will meet the wrath of Lucille?

You could be right. I can see Kirkman writing pretty much all of next issue as people dealing w/ the aftermath of. . .

Glenn's death and coming to grips w/ the threat of Negan. A year or more dealing w/ this Negan gang? Not sure how that could be entertaining. The Road Warrior pretty much had the formula down on a time limit for dealing w/ post-apocalyptic overlords.

true...but then this formula should've really been tired by now, yet here we are, all still reading it. seriously, this team is looking to beat bendis & bagley for longest running on a series.

qJJaK.jpg

ps here's the cover i was talkin bout, that's gotta be Daryl.

1000px-Walking-Dead-101-Cover.jpg

and next up:

Image006.jpg

ps damn, i so didnt catch a bunch of these:

h8YZT.png

oh yeah, shit set a record, too! no idea how that other book held the title before, though.

About that crossbow:

If you recall it was being used by the toolbox with the fucked up face on the three-wheeled bike who attacked the community a few issues back. I'm not saying that Darly won't show up (God knows he'd be great) but I think that's who was on that cover.

oh yeah, shit set a record, too! no idea how that other book held the title before, though.

Yeah, you caught that it was a record for initial orders, right? The headline was misleading. I'm sure the 13 variant covers didn't hurt bulking up those orders. Although on just those initial orders it did outperform DCNU's Justice League by about 20k issues, it seems that Amazing Spidey #583 (Barak meets Spidey) sold almost 600k issues. Thus making Amazing Spidey #583 the best selling single issue of the 21st Century, so far.

About that crossbow:

If you recall it was being used by the toolbox with the fucked up face on the three-wheeled bike who attacked the community a few issues back. I'm not saying that Darly won't show up (God knows he'd be great) but I think that's who was on that cover.

Yeah, you caught that it was a record for initial orders, right? The headline was misleading. I'm sure the 13 variant covers didn't hurt bulking up those orders. Although on just those initial orders it did outperform DCNU's Justice League by about 20k issues, it seems that Amazing Spidey #583 (Barak meets Spidey) sold almost 600k issues. Thus making Amazing Spidey #583 the best selling single issue of the 21st Century, so far.

ah, both good posts, didn't catch either. to the latter - yeah, that's a ton of variants, too. even so, i gotta figure Kirkman's happy, i recall reading it's hard to gain that kinda momentum later on even for hit books, when statistically you don't sell as well as your first few issues...i havent really kept up with image's sales though, i don't know how steady WD's #'s usually are, just that image considers it at hit if it breaks 40k/month.

Sorry Nick, Baytor's right

• Robert Kirkman was asked about the chances of introducing Daryl into the comic book series, but he adamantly stated that it will NOT happen as he has the series planed out well into the future.

• Robert Kirkman: "We open on a scene of I can't tell you, and it quickly transitions into a scene of you'll have to wait and see. We have a prison, that we've built. It's pretty amazing. It doesn't look like a backlot."

• The season will be much faster paced, with those on the panel comparing it to the far more action-packed latter half of season two, with the momentum remaining consistent throughout.

• Greg Nicotero: Every year we want to show and refine and determine what we love about certain zombies. We're always changing the contact lenses and the dentures, we put bald caps on the guys. We really wanna sell this year that they're decomposing, emaciated and hungry. And there's a lot of them. We're going to do some animatronic puppets this season that we didn't get to do before. We're going to keep you guessing."

• Nicotero's directorial debut (episode six) will feature THREE iconic moments from The Walking Dead comic book series.

• Norman Reedus: "He's a guy that's under the thumb of his big brother Merle. Being away from Merle, he's finding himself needed and appreciated, and making bonds with these people. He'd fight to the death for this people. He's kind of growing up. I love playing him."

• Laurie Holden: "At the end of season two, I was saved by this wonderful woman, Michonne. It's a very different season for Andrea. She's met this alpha female and they become very good friends and they watch each other's backs. It's wonderful storytelling as the battle the elements in this apocalyptic world."

• Danai Gurira and David Morrissey talked about being welcomed to the show by their fellow cast members, with the latter stating: "I came into the show as a fan, I've known Andy for a long time, I just loved it. When the opportunity came I was very excited. The thing they can never prepare you for is walking onto set and discovering they have a great crew. People want to be there. They want to work on this show."

• Andrew Lincoln: "Rick has isolated himself from the group and his marriage. That's the way that he is protecting everybody. It's a really interesting way to start the season. I certainly think this season you meet him at a place where he has been pushing people away to protect his son, and in so doing he loses his humanity. Rick has isolated himself from the group and his marriage, and that's the way he's protecting everyone. I'm currently going batshit crazy by the way, the last few weeks [of filming] I'm going bananas."

• During the fan questions, several young girls professed their love for Steven Yeun, leading moderator Chris Hardwick to joke, "We know your demographic now Steven, and we know you should not now be allowed at Legoland."

• Sarah Wayne Callies: "I think Lori did everything she could to handle Shane. She brought it to Rick - she didn't tell him to kill him, she told him to watch his back, which wound up right, because Shane tried to kill him and the right man won that fight."

+1 for the Walken Dead tee, Pancho.

And have you managed to build back up your single issue collection for WD? With the coin you dropped on issue #100 alone I'm sure you could've made a big dent in that project. Or is building back up the collection even a goal of yours any more?