Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

The NZA

Negan mini is okay, but frustrating as it's being released in 4pg increments each week. I think the story totals 48pgs.

I also saw these mini issues on youtube of all places.

Negan totally fits as a coach before the zombpocalypse. The affair and how it ended was a good bit of character development, too. Interesting to see how he developed his odd code of morality before the dead began walking.

Anybody reading Whisper Wars? Part two just came out today and I'm about to dive into it...

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

Yeah, my bad on that. It's being published monthly.

Image Comics and Diamond Comic Distributors are pleased to announce Image+, an all-new monthly magazine which will feature Image’s upcoming releases, as well as bonus creator-owned comics content. Each issue will be distributed with Diamond’s PREVIEWS Catalog each month, with the first issue of Image+ available in May.

Each of the first twelve issues of Image+ magazine will feature an original, four-page THE WALKING DEAD story concerning Negan’s origins, and created by New York Times bestselling team Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard, for a total of 48 pages of backstory.

So it'll be next May before the origin story is over. I'm guessing Kirkman will publish a standalone collected volume or maybe put half in The Whisper Wars trade and the other half in the trade following after that.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 1 month later...

I think I'm still a few issues behind, but I had to get a little caught up

Just saw Negan cutting off Alpha's head. I'd love to see this be an actual development for him toward a (twisted) path to redemption. It's fun either way, but the reader has seen him alone and he seems legit with wanting to get in good with Rick.

I think I'm still a few issues behind, but I had to get a little caught up

Just saw Negan cutting off Alpha's head. I'd love to see this be an actual development for him toward a (twisted) path to redemption. It's fun either way, but the reader has seen him alone and he seems legit with wanting to get in good with Rick.

After seeing Negan's use of Lucille in living color on TV, I'm hoping Rick makes good on what he said to Negan back when they first met.

Take Michonne's katana and hack him to pieces, Rick! Do iiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Whisper War is over. Issues 163 & 164. Daaaaamn!

Especially #164...

This may be my favorite issue in years. Kirkman really stepped up the writing and gave some fantastic character moments to Rick, Negan, Carl, and even fucking Eugene! Coupled with some well paced action and an ominous cliffhanger, well, what more could you ever ask for from a single issue of a comic?

Color. The answer is color.

But I'm still good with the graytones. Srsly.

• 2 months later...

Issue #167

I admit the deathbed pep talk went on a bit to long and Andrea's toughness to the bitter end was simultaneously frustrating and enjoyable. I was waiting for her to just be vulnerable and show emotion, but you gotta also respect how she was taking car of people even as she died. And no lie, I got a bit misty when Rick walked outta the house and collapsed into Carl then the group shoulder thing was pretty cool. I think the TV show has definitely influenced how they handle "big" deaths in the comic. I swear when I read the letter from Kirkman at the end of the comic I heard Chris Hardwick's voice.

• 1 year later...

Looks like I've been talking to myself in this thread since 2016, so it's time for the yearly update.

So I just caught up on The New World Order arc that ends with issue #180. I really dig where this is heading. First, it's great to get an arc which has Michonne as the A-story lead. It's also a fairly happy arc for her, until #180. Second, Kirkman is expanding the book's scope beyond tribal wars and basic human reactions to extreme survival situations and more into an examination of what makes not just a community but a society function. I dig it.

yeah...honestly, i needed to drop more books a few months back, and this was one of them.  god knows i've dropped it several times over the years & come back later, felt like it was about halfway through new world order and i just realized the cast keeps growing & i don't really care too much.  maybe having Invincible finally tie up this year made me feel this one should as well?  but kirkman's said for ages now he could practically do this one forever, and god knows even after the show $ stops (well, the main series anyway) i don't doubt he will.  

watch some big shit go down for issue # 200 and lure me back in 

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2019 at 12:46 PM, alive she cried said:

Hide contents

Double huh.

I didn't get to read it b/c my local shop sold out day one. Usually they have two or three issues left, but I missed the hoopla over it because I was preoccupied with life. Now I gotta wait for a second printing like some fucking n00b. shitmyhat.

• Like 1

i mean

kirkman wanted out instead of waiting for the big issue #200, and i can't blame him - this could've wrapped up nearly 100 issues back, or he could've dragged it out another 100, it wouldn't have made much of a difference to me.  the formula was stale and the cast so ever-expanding that i kept dropping it, and for being a fan of stories reinventing themselves, this felt like an anime that built towards negan and then had post-game filler forever after that.  

the last issue just jumps into carl's somehow-not-sociopathic future, and hints that heavy is the head that wears his father's crown but he's doing alright, and things will be okay.  it's a fine sendoff i guess but it really did kinda feel like this book limped along until kirkman was done checking out.  

the first page of this thread trips me out now, reading myself hyping this book to everyone 15 years back - but honestly? it didn't need to go 15 years, and i don't say that as much as a slam on kirkman's opus here as the fact that most stories don't need that long, however successful

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2019 at 8:55 AM, alive she cried said:

I'd recommend torrenting it to avoid spoilers.

p.s. Shit all our hats

Luckily I managed to avoid spoilers and torrenting. A friend of mine came through a few weeks back and I got a first print of #193--and a second print that I actually put my greasy fingers on to read. Now I just gotta get that SDCC 2019 variant, right?😉 Seriously though, that SDCC cover just pops so much better. Anyway, as for  issue #193...

I dug it. It was a bit clunky and overly exposition-y in places, but that's Kirkman's writing style anyway. I think the whole Herschel being a post-apocalyptic pseudo Prof. Marvel from Wizard of Oz was an interesting twist. Maggie basically showing the same weakness as the previous  Commonwealth "ruler" in being a pushover for her kid made for some good drama. Seeing Michonne as Uber Judge Judy was also fun--as was Eugene being the great "re-unifier" of America with the re-birth of the railroad. 

But I think the best part of #193 was how it encapsulated one of the book's main themes so beautifully in one issue--society is fragile, and our memories are short and need constant reminding of its fragility. "The Trials" were not a decade or so gone when people started to forget and get too comfortable or "soft," as Maggie says at one point. Carl Grimes needed to remind them--and he did so in true Grimes fashion--like a fuckin' boss. 

As much as I would've like 200 issues of Carl kickin' ass across America, I can dig this ending. Kirkman's explanation for it at the end of the book in his editorial was solid. And as Kevin Smith mentioned in a podcast not long ago, Kirkman left a TON of money on the table by not announcing or soliciting #193 as the final issue. Dude put his art ahead of his pocketbook, which is admittedly easier when you're already a millionaire. But it's still fuckin' baller. Respek. 

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
booyakasha
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1