Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

The NZA

That's a big 10-4 Boog. The first artist was a lot tidier. Sure the new/regular guy's messy crap adds ambience in the same way Ben Templesmith does, but there's a lot to be said for clean fucking lines too.

Man, you could snort ink, sneeze all over a piece of paper and still draw better than Templesmith. Liefeld draws better than Templesmith for Chrissakes (God imagine if he'd have drawn 30 Days of Night, Marlow would've been the size of a small bus and the final fight would've involved awkwardly drawn guns spewing lasers)

• 4 weeks later...

That shit was pretty cool! tell 'em well done!

made me miss Moore's art but great nonetheless. Oh, and props on quoting the4thrail at the end, that was the best comic review site i ever found. Did Kirkman comment on it?

• 2 months later...

So, I wanted to tell you what I think about this.

Like a month ago I bought HCs 2 & 3. I enjoyed them, but not as much as the first one. Mainly because i dont like much the direction its taking the character of Rick. And i know, its not supossed to be a comedy or something like it, but... I dont know, he was a fricking cop...

BTW, I loved the

Michonne revenge

in the 3rd HC...hehehe Fucking bloody.

Edited by Boogie

i know, its not supossed to be a comedy or something like it, but... I dont know, he was a fricking cop...

Its not... I was thinking that Rick could have go to a more interesting place, that the one he is now (Im up to the 36 iss now, and waiting for the 4th HC).

Guts walking away, its in my sig...

Its not... I was thinking that Rick could have go to a more interesting place, that the one he is now (Im up to the 36 iss now, and waiting for the 4th HC).

Guts walking away, its in my sig...

I liked Rick up until they met the Governor then his character just became useless and whiny and I got annoyed with it.

was talkin bout this with lindsay the other day.

he's the narrarator, bascially. shit he's been through is crazy, especially in issue # 50. after that - and losing his hand - i dont want Rick the fearless leader anymore, honestly; ive a hard time seeing him stand up straight where he's at. his character's evolved, or rather, devolved. im curious if he'll stay the protagonist, as i woudlnt put it past Kirkman to shed him at some point...though im uncertain who he'd run with after that. Michonne? someone new?

so uh, keep reading.

• 2 months later...

so...

they finally revealed who Michonne is supposedly talking to. makes sense that nobody's entirely stable, with where the series is at.

but big new plotlines this month in # 53! new small team wants to go to DC, and the scientist among em things they know what happened! shit's crazy. This book consistently stays among the must-reads each month.

• 5 weeks later...
The book was by no means gold, but I think it can be taken even slightly more seriously that Kirkman jerking off over some Romero stills & Marvel Team Up back issues(as opposed to Romero stills and hard copies of storylines used in The Bold & the Beautiful ten years ago he jerks off over to write the Walking Dead).

wait, wait - are you comparing Marvel Zombies to Walking Dead? because honestly, there's fights worth picking and then there's those that can end a marriage. think it through.

I'm comparing 'em to the extent that they have the same writer who's obsessed with jerking off over Romero stills. Marvel Zombies is senseless action whereas WD while starting out as a great idea has degraded to senseless drama(I picked up another couple of trades on your bitching that I wasn't read enough to make an opinion- it reinforced my point).

*sigh*

pearl_swine_prw.jpg

Walking Dead is brilliant. thing is, youve gotta take it as a post-apocalyptic tale of the humans trying to get by, not so much a zombie action-fest (though it drops into that once in a while). honestly, how far'd you get, and what really turned you off?

Okay, here's what I say to you: The idea started out novel enough, picking up where zombie movies leave off, but there's a reason for it: That shit is no longer fascinating. It's an intense situation with a bunch of semi-crazed and terribly traumatised people, and Kirkman just doesn't have it in him to convey that madness. Oh, he'll create fucked up situations and give his characters crazy flaws(the killing blow for me and this book was

sending Rick off the deep end

), but it's not remotely immersive. Palahniuk's Haunted conveys group isolation & paranoia in such a fashion that you read it on a train, eyes darting from side to side wondering where the next imaginary attack will come from. Hell, Even Lost has resorted to some Twin Peaks shit to generate some kind of momentum/interest, and if it didn't, it'd be exactly what Walking Dead is.

• 2 months later...

right? its like "so here's a brand new darkness that we somehow hadn't covered yet."

i see what skeet's going for, but its not a psychological horror book in that sense to me at all; its survival horror where you're quickly learning in the last few arcs that shit in a post-apocalyptic society is so very fucked up, the predictable zombies are the least of your worries.

blasphemy!

anyway, nick you were right...last issue was rough.

talk about understatement. i like the new trio, but i'm a bit peeved kirkman hasn't delved into this mysterious "all-knowing" fat guy's past yet. i'm sure he's saving it for the next arc though as kirkman is all about the trades.

yeah..you just know it wont pan out, but since that's the new/current overall direction, i dont expect whatever payoff is to be had there to show up for a while now.

its like when they were at the prison..you knew it woudlnt last, you just didnt know when the end was comin'.

• 5 weeks later...

Issue #58 was pretty good. Morgan and the fate of his son Duane is a bit of a "zombie cliche," I get the feeling this same sequence of events has even transpired before in this very series, but I thought the way it was written/drawn was very compelling. The tension Kirkman created

with the gunshot going off and not knowing if Morgan did himself or his son in then that last lonely shot of the Duane roaming the house unchained was very engaging storytelling. And with the addition of Morgan to the crew

it looks like Kirkman is rounding up a group of murderous mo'fos. This can only mean some truly fucked up shit is on the horizon....I hope.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin