Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

The NZA

1) i like that Kirkman's not doing his usual get you comfortable, then pull the rug out from under you thing, so much as making Rick & co the potential villains.

2) is "better than preacher" your new tagline or something? its never gonna catch on like Sexy Hat's review did.

I guess I just have as feeble a read on ASC as you do on me, the way he talks up WD but still poo poos the end of Preacher.

back to WD:

Yeah, Despite Rick not acting out yet, I'm worried they're going to overhear one of his frequent paranoid rants and decide he's too big a liability. Pretty much since Dale first mentioned doubt in Rick's leadership abilities back in the Prison, I've been wondering how the series would fare if Rick were to make the shift to villian & Carl or someone else were to take the lead.

Even more interesting is the sorry tale of Davidson, which I'm pretty sure we're going to already know as the epitaph of Rick Grimes.

• 1 month later...

image solicit for # 75 is...damn.

walkingdead75_cov.jpg

Lines are crossed, rules are broken and the peace and tranquility of the community is shattered. After months of safety and security, are Rick and the crew even prepared for what they now face? As an added bonus: a very special back-up story drawn by RYAN OTTLEY in FULL COLOR--a first for The Walking Dead! This issue is not to be missed!

That was different.

He wasn't a villain. He was too strict. His methods too harsh. He was dealing with civilians, not trained police officers. He stepped down, because he didn't want to cross the line of villain. This time, he's not just crossing the line, but he's enjoying it, too. It's all in the name of survival, though. They've been through too much, but once you go to that place, there's no going back. Kirkman's writing Rick into a corner.

At the time, without the benefit of hindsight

cutting his own arm and uhm, Allen's(?) leg were pretty fucking drastic actions, and then with the beating the shit out of the serial killer guy and fighting with whatsisname black guy,

Kirkman's been leading to this for a while is all I'm saying.

• 3 weeks later...

Lalalala fingersinearsnospoilersplease lalalala!!!

Picked up the first volume when Haku and ASC were in town. Nearly stole it too but that's a different story. Hooked.

Just finished volume 7 when

a semi-truncated Governor philip rides up to the prison with murderous intent and a big fucking tank. Blue balls is not the word...

For those familiar with the Dublin city area you shall spot me as the one with a tent pitched outside Forbidden Planet waiting for them to open.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

*starts to say something*

I'll just leave this here for when you're caught up

Made you look. But since this is a timecapsule joke I'll tell you I'm still wearing suspenders. Ask me if I still think they're 'snappy' when you've caught up and read this

damn you jay. -_-

well, I'm all caught up.

So back on issue 50 it felt like Rick wasn't going to make it and his son would continue on surviving. Where does it end?!? Kirman really does an awesome job humanizing his characters. Every time I read an issue, I think to myself: "what would I do in this situation?" I don't think I would be the type to mutilate another human being, but fuck if I was put in a situation where death was the norm, maybe I would? It's fucking scary world they live in. The living are worse than the dead.

Can't wait to see how it panes out with this new community.

My thoughts on some characters:

Rick: Completely jaded - but not insane. I don't think he's lost it. Remember godamit, dude's been through a horribly traumatic experience. You just can't expect a human being to be completely ok.

Carl: Same as rick and even more so heartbreaking because he is still a kid. But he's interesting because he's been dealt a situation where he's had to make a decision for the sake of either rick's life or the rest of the crew... Currently the kid is having a hard time transitioning from being out in the wilderness to being caged in a place where everything seems alright. issue 50 will always pull at my heart strings. You see carl sitting alone in the dark against the wall looking after a very ill rick, gun in hand in case rick comes back from the dead, and feeling so scared that he doesn't want to live alone without his dad - he'd rather just get eaten. Ah, sadness! I think Carl is the only person that keeps Rick from going insane.

Andrea: love this chick so much. fucking awesome strong female. Wonder if and when she actually hooks up with spencer (Douglas' son) if Douglas himself would go over the edge with jealousy and fuck shit up? He's recently widowed and he did come on to Andrea from the start...

Douglas: At first I didn't trust him and now, I'm starting to... but I'm like Rick - still got my guard up.

Abe: Smart dude, never let's his guard down. He's taken Tyresse role in what he does for Rick as far as muscle and clear headedness (is that even a word?).

Speaking of Tyresse - i totally hated the way he was killed off. And I loved that dude.

Michonne: crazy ass bitch - and i mean that in a good way. She fucked the Governor shit up! But yeah, who doesn't like a crazy bitch sometimes? I certainly do. Speaking of crazy bitches, Carol.

Carol: I loved that she offered herself to Rick and Lori! that was awesome. But I did feel sorry for her. Suicide is to be expected in that depressing situation.

Glenn: I heart him! he's a such good guy and I hope he never dies.

Dale: I got teary eyed at his death. He's been around since the beginning and has always helped Rick stay in check. I certainly felt bad for him when the twins were killed off, he really did grow to care about those kids.

On The prison arc - absolutely amazing. It was a defining moment in the series as far as character developments and shifting gears in directions, at least to me. I really thought they were going to win that battle against the Governor. Kirkman reminds you that in this situation, there is no safe spot. Speaking of the Governor, Michonne should have ended him. -_- But alas, if his threat did not happen, then maybe the original group would be fighting a heard of thousands infiltrating the prison. Looking forward to what's next - the suspense!

...and there you have it, my thoughts in segments.

Edited by Senshik

hmmm...quite astute, m-bears.

this is how it starts...the magic of american comics!

Rick: Completely jaded - but not insane. I don't think he's lost it. Remember godamit, dude's been through a horribly traumatic experience. You just can't expect a human being to be completely ok.

i love rick & wanna agree...but i think they've been showing he's unhinged. still competent, sure, but he's not well, hasn't been for a bit now...

Andrea: love this chick so much. fucking awesome strong female. Wonder if and when she actually hooks up with spencer (Douglas' son) if Douglas himself would go over the edge with jealousy and fuck shit up? He's recently widowed and he did come on to Andrea from the start...

i cant see it...but he's gonna be desperate just having lost his wife last ish. if he throws it all away for a creepy stalker thing...i dunno.

Abe: Smart dude, never let's his guard down. He's taken Tyresse role in what he does for Rick as far as muscle and clear headedness (is that even a word?).

oh, yeah, he's totally the ginger white Tyrese, now that you mention it.

Speaking of Tyresse - i totally hated the way he was killed off. And I loved that dude.

Carol: I loved that she offered herself to Rick and Lori! that was awesome. But I did feel sorry for her. Suicide is to be expected in that depressing situation.

i totally forgot about this. that was some weird alpha-male shit.

Glenn: I heart him! he's a such good guy and I hope he never dies.

he's gonna fall to pieces when whats-her-name succeeds in her next suicide attempt.

Dale: I got teary eyed at his death. He's been around since the beginning and has always helped Rick stay in check. I certainly felt bad for him when the twins were killed off, he really did grow to care about those kids.

speaking of - howd you feel about the twins, and what about what rick's son did?

You were laughing so hard during this point, I wanted to tell you "Um, maybe you shouldn't be laughing so hard, you might, ugh...feel guilty about it later...." I mean, Lori let her down as easy as she could and it still drove her to suicide, imagine how she would've handled your belly laughs.

A few more things...

Nick: Carl killing the twins is hard to describe. To me it wasn't a shock that he killed Shane back then to save Rick's life... it was a reaction. What makes killing Ben (the one that killed his twin Billy) much more shocking is that Carl premeditated it. He took initiative when everyone hesitated. Carl is probably going down a dark path himself but in a non-sucidal/ psycho way... just depression. Poor kid has nightmares about murdering Ben, which is good otherwise I would be much more worried about him going down the wrong dark path the way Ben had mutilating his own tiwn brother. The question is should we kill people that present a liabity or put others in danger...? As harsh as this sounds... i was on board with Rick and Abe back when they thought it necessary to put Ben down. The real issue is that no one wants to say or execute it because it somehow feels less human to do so. Granted the sitaution they are in, the world as they know it isn't going to operate as it used to. Do what is necessary to survive. Fuck what does it even to be human? Damn you Kirkman you've got me questioning my own humanity!!!!

Jax: It was funny! I didn't feel bad she died. She had to go. As insensitive as it sounds, she would have eventually slowed down the group, it was just too much to deal with. She just didn't want to be rejected anymore.

So thoughts on issue 77?

I think we're on the verge of a big arc here. The letters page kind of gave that away though. I wonder how Rick killing Wifey McBeaterson will affect the community on the whole. I mean they've gotten used to living in a bubble for a long time and the reality of the world in which Rick and co lived is lost on them. The practice of killing the few who would destroy the survival chances of the many may well create a divide. Also those biker guys hearing the shot will undoubtedly lead to another Prison/Woodbury type situation.

Apparently the next arc (and trade) will be called No Way Out so I'm thinking the community will be sieged for an extended time. Could be pretty cool.

So thoughts on issue 77?

I think we're on the verge of a big arc here. The letters page kind of gave that away though. I wonder how Rick killing Wifey McBeaterson will affect the community on the whole. I mean they've gotten used to living in a bubble for a long time and the reality of the world in which Rick and co lived is lost on them. The practice of killing the few who would destroy the survival chances of the many may well create a divide. Also those biker guys hearing the shot will undoubtedly lead to another Prison/Woodbury type situation.

Apparently the next arc (and trade) will be called No Way Out so I'm thinking the community will be sieged for an extended time. Could be pretty cool.

Yeah I think you're right on that one. I was astounded that Rick was allowed to stay after what he pulled. Never what you think will happen, happens.

Just loving the shit out of this book and can't wait for the t.v. series.

Edited by alive she cried