Hondo's Bar

The Walking Dead

The NZA

• 5 weeks later...

just got thru 77 and Holy Shit!

So glad Glenn is still, somehow, kickin'. And as crazy Rick is getting, I doubt he'll be trumped out of being the main dude anytime soon. And I have a feeling that we may be meeting Davidson soon. He could still be out there somewhere, right? Never explicitly said the man was dead did it?

Long un-live zombies!

• 3 weeks later...

So im all caught up too. Waiting for #79 to be scanned.... or the balls to buy it...

Im wondering why the zombies have formed in such huge herds now. Are they becoming smarter? Unionised? heh. And why they're not biting so much...

Loris death So glad Rick wouldn't have to deal with her constant. fucking. guilt-tripping. "Dont leave me" / "Why dont you do something" / "Dont go" / We're hungry" / "We're not safe here" / "We're safe here, why are you leaving" UGGGH. Weakest character in TWD IMO. Atleast Carol had the balls to feed herself to a zombie when things got too much. Lori just gave it up for Shane. Zombie apocalypse or not, bang someone other than your husbands best friend. Whore.

Woah. Yeah. Not too fond of Lori. Shame about Shanes kid though.

Jay said Carl was the one to watch out for. How right he was. Hopefully he doesn't crack. I think Lori's death strengthened Rick in a way - Carls death would decimate him.

New people - Meh.

At first I struggled with the black and white aspect, and all the constant character introduction and removal.... Then I hit the alien parody thing and couldn't recognise the characters, and now I kind of welcome all the constant character changes as weak character genocide.

I'm really, really interested and have never read a comic that hadn't ended, so the waiting every month is a completely new thing.

The next one shows I think Glenn being completely surrounded, with a title to match. Cant wait.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

No comments on this new arc yet? Color me disappoint, Hondo's. And issue #83 just dropped a bomb.:blink:

What. The. Fuck. Carl has half his face shot off. Rick stays true to his word and lets his new fuck buddy and her kid become zombie snacks.Douchebag or dedicated father? I dunno. But, fuck, Kirkman. Carl? That's below the belt, yo. And could a kid that young really have half his face blown off and live, let alone still talk? C'mon, man.

it was only a corner of his face, and frankly, that kid is more hardcore than most hondonians. its kirkman, too, so....NO ONE IS SAFE.

ill be honest, its cold as fuck and it shows how far rick's gone to ditch them, but he's a pragmatic/survivalist at heart. look at the scenario again and tell me what he coulda done differently, that wouldn'tve just gotten he/carl killed too?

83 issues in, book still surprises. if comics were people, most of my favorite franchise characters would spot hipster clothes and perms, and this book would have to carry its balls around in a fucking wheelbarrow.

There was nothing Rick could have done for whats-her-name and her dumbass kid, they had the survival instincts of a Kennedy. As for Carl, it's not impossible that he'd live from that wound and be able to talk, but given the state of things and the lack of proper medical care, I'd say Carl isn't going to be with us too much longer. I know anybody can die in this thing, but I honestly think that if Rick died I'd lose my anchor to this book, he's the guy I have the most emotional investment in at this point in spite the fact that pretty everything that humanizes him seems to die in horrible ways and I just couldn't see myself following say: Laurie or Glenn (I think they're the only original cast members left) or even Michonne with as much interest. Also, Morgan's story-arc blew, it sucks that Kirkman brought him back into the book just to do nothing with him and kill him off, Axel got used better than that. You get me?

yeah, can't disagree with much of that. morgan pretty much came back around just to have the rug pulled out from under michonne again the way rick constantly deals with, its as if issue 100 is going to have them fight to see who should be more suicidal.

its funny that i didnt even think about how few of the initial cast were around till you mentioned it, i think kirkman said a while back something along the lines of an almost clean slate at some point? i too would have a hard time shedding rick (given that even the red headed dude that's grown on me is not yet protagonist material) but i commend the fuck out of this book for not for one moment having me think it can't happen at the drop of a hat.

it was only a corner of his face, and frankly, that kid is more hardcore than most hondonians. its kirkman, too, so....NO ONE IS SAFE.

ill be honest, its cold as fuck and it shows how far rick's gone to ditch them, but he's a pragmatic/survivalist at heart. look at the scenario again and tell me what he coulda done differently, that wouldn'tve just gotten he/carl killed too?

83 issues in, book still surprises. if comics were people, most of my favorite franchise characters would spot hipster clothes and perms, and this book would have to carry its balls around in a fucking wheelbarrow.

"it was only a corner of his face."

:LOL:

last i checked, the area from your eye to your ear was more than a corner. And I love how you two speak w/ such fucking certainty and authority regarding plausibility of "you-know-who's" face being blown half-off. I'm ready for the pilot episode next season: Nick & Baytor - MDs.

And I'm wondering if Rick will be shoving off soon...

...like maybe around issue 100. Maybe a time jump and we follow Carl as a young man--if he survives issue 84 that is.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

yeah bro ive treated facial trauma but i sure wish i had the medical background of a teacher

it's an important corner/chunk, but it's still that. the kid could live if they got the blood loss under control, but baytor's likely right, the infection (cant imagine much there is sterile) will likely end him, unless kirkman really wants to run his nails across the board & leave us with a nigh-sociopathic, severely disfigured carl.

if/more likely when Rick bites it, carl's not gonna be the next protagonist. he's still too young and im unsure if he'd want to just arbitrariness jump a few years ahead to make it work. years back, in his letter column, he did say there was a lot more coming with michonne, and she's still a prominent character but mostly in the background.

"it was only a corner of his face."

:LOL:

last i checked, the area from your eye to your ear was more than a corner. And I love how you two speak w/ such fucking certainty and authority regarding plausibility of "you-know-who's" face being blown half-off. I'm ready for the pilot episode next season: Nick & Baytor - MDs.

And I'm wondering if Rick will be shoving off soon...

...like maybe around issue 100. Maybe a time jump and we follow Carl as a young man--if he survives issue 84 that is.

Hey, 8th-Grade Teacher, I was raised around EMTs and while I wouldn't trust myself to actually patch someone up I do know that when it comes to the brain, there are pieces you can survive without at least for a small amount of time. I've also seen pictures of soldiers that have survived as bad if not worse so no it's not impossible. Example: THIS

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Downvote 1

Holy shit. This is Tulip Part II (and possibly without the cop out (part III if you count Lori and Judith (and you should))). Gotta agree with ye on Rick, I really don't want him to die.

I don't think I'd stop reading the book, but I can't see myself wanting to follow any character as much as Rick. Fucking hell though, that was some hardcore shit.

Edited by alive she cried

yeah bro ive treated facial trauma but i sure wish i had the medical background of a teacher

Hey, 8th-Grade Teacher, I was raised around EMTs and while I wouldn't trust myself to actually patch someone up I do know that when it comes to the brain, there are pieces you can survive without at least for a small amount of time. I've also seen pictures of soldiers that have survived as bad if not worse so no it's not impossible. Example: THIS

1234340-866301_bwahaha_super_super.jpg

A night watchman and a Wal-Mart employee are lecturing me on their superior medical knowledge w/out a hint of irony. This is too much.

• Downvote 2

QNuDx.jpg

man i keep looking at the louisiana education rates and remind myself i gotta slum it metaphorically, so here goes

paramedic w/ 911 rescue experience :: a newjack teacher on a zombie comic

hakus talkin on star wars' expanded universe :: jar jar fans born after 1990

if you are still desperately vying for my attention this is still somehow less than clear, lemme know, i have prepared some highly edible paste in the event that you're one of those tactile/kinesthetic learners and i'm just shooting over your head or something.

This book never ceases to throw me a curveball. That's why I love it so much.

I'm not sure if Carl will be killed off. He's the only anchor Rick has emotionally. Carl is his raison d'eitre if you will. If he does kick the bucket then I'll bet we'll see Rick fly off the handle in a big way and possibly go violently insane for a few issues.

This book never ceases to throw me a curveball. That's why I love it so much.

I'm not sure if Carl will be killed off. He's the only anchor Rick has emotionally. Carl is his raison d'eitre if you will. If he does kick the bucket then I'll bet we'll see Rick fly off the handle in a big way and possibly go violently insane for a few issues.

Yeah, he may go violently insane or just start talking to him on an old cell phone he finds...

• 1 month later...

So, no talk of issue 84. I just read it so...

Doesn't look like they've decided to resolve whether Carl is going to survive as a deformed badass motherfucker, or if his death will be drawn out and slow, fucking with Rick's mind even more, which is already taking a turn for the kinda crazy. That monologue he delivered to unconscious Carl about his clarity had me thinking he might be losing it.

Damn, I forgot this thread veered off on that nasty lil' tangent. I guess we did side-step issue 84. I also wonder if the Nick & Baytor - MDs.pilot ever got shot? :2T:

As for issue 84--I've mixed feelings...

...I was a bit surprised Kirkman played the super-hero zombie-shit-stompers card so "early" in the series. Actually saying the zombies are a "manageable threat" kinda takes some of the air out of the sales of the series in my opinion. And that whole speech Rick gives about "humans" being the real threat is kind of un-needed exposition; there's no greater monster than a human being, yadda yadda, yadda.. I mean, isn't that the basic undertone/subtext of ALL zombie movies for the most part? But there were some righteous zombie kills of the week this issue.

It'll be interesting to see if this storyline will directly effect a new direction for the book--possibly leading up to something BIG w/ issue #100???

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

wait, you're telling me hakujin's expert medical advice wasn't right? huh.

Rick's no crazier than he was before for talking to his ailing son, id venture he's a lot more stable than when he needed the phone. it sounded like he's finally again ready to take the leadership spot.

# 84 is not "early in the series", and while he said what's been the subtext for a while, he was going somewhere with it. the entire point of this arc was that zombies have been more or less a background or part of the setting for years now, whereas here they were an actual threat again because the settlement wasn't prepared for them. get better opinions, both of you! :2T:

wait, you're telling me hakujin's expert medical advice wasn't right? huh.

Rick's no crazier than he was before for talking to his ailing son, id venture he's a lot more stable than when he needed the phone. it sounded like he's finally again ready to take the leadership spot.

# 84 is not "early in the series", and while he said what's been the subtext for a while, he was going somewhere with it. the entire point of this arc was that zombies have been more or less a background or part of the setting for years now, whereas here they were an actual threat again because the settlement wasn't prepared for them. get better opinions, both of you! :2T:

Right well, a doctor show where all the doctors are always right is kinda boring. Haven't you every seen House? If he diagnosed people right the first time, every episode would be 3 minutes long, depending on how much pill-popping antics you want to throw in.

As for your comment about issue 84

I didn't mean he was crazy for talking to an unconscious Carl, I'm saying he was crazy for the content of what he was saying.

but it kinda made sense in context of what happened - they now have #s and some stability. the group they hid from (and like he said, fed a family to before they got to be too baggagey) they were able to handle with no injuries or much planning, either. people were the problem that chased them out of the prison, i get the notion that he's done running and sees ways to fortify that town that the old man didn't. i mean, a maze outside for dumb zombies to wander into? brilliant! you just don't respect science, man.

saner than he's been since leaving the prison, i says!

I thought Ricks monologue was him thinking clearer than ever. Guys just tired as fuck of running. You can almost see the cogs turning in his head as he speaks to Carl. His leadership will come back with a vengeance. However, if Carl dies he'll turn into a raving loon.