Hondo's Bar

New Releases and Shows

DA JUDGE

I thought i'd start this thread as a place where we could all recomend future releases of music that tickles our tastebuds! For example, just heard Moby's new 'We are all made of stars' single due out in April and it has to be said that it's a slight departure from Play, but not in a bad way! It's one of these tunes that after the first time i heard it, i could remember it! (which is always a good sign) yes it's a catchy muther! Also managed to get a wee listen of the David Holmes new mix LP 'Come Get It I Got It'. if the rest of the album is anything like the snippet i heard and as good as his previous LP's, it will be well getting purchased in the next couple of days! This music will be mine, oh yes...it will be mine. :D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No contest really. Its gotta be the new Idleiwld album, how much is that going to be the dog's bollocks? The new single 'You held the world in your arms' is amzing, and a bit of a new direction.

Got an interview with them in April for a student mag so I'll ask them about it and give anybody some updates on it if they want it.

Also looking forward to the new McLusky album but don't suppose anyone has heard of them have they?

I can't think of too many new releases because I don't really keep track, I usually just wonder "hmm, isn't band X due for a new cd?" and get really happy when I see it at Best Buy.  I only actually keep track of my absolute favorites.  I only know of a couple that I'm genuinly waiting for.  I know that A Perfect Circle is coming out with something new soon, now that Tool finished touring, Maynard has been spending lots of time in the studio.  Can't wait for this one, Mer de Noms is one of my favorite cds, APC turned out to be much more than a side project, they're their own band, pretty different from Tool.  I'm also waiting on the new Counting Crows album, "Hard Candy."  I know this one's just around the corner, and I just couldn't fathom how great new counting crows would be.  I also really want to hear whatever the now defunct "Civilian" (chris cornell and RATM)  project produced.  THey said they're gonna release what they've got, and it can't be anything but good.

R U interviewing Idlewild MLB? Do me a favour and say to Rabjab the Bassist hello from me, he might not remember who the fuck i am though, likes!!! I used to know him (before Idlewild) from a place called Portobello in Edinburgh where everyone used to hang out on the beach, he might remember me as Brian Greenough or as Judge.

Well I am MLB!

Prodigy's long (really fucking long) awaited album should be out by the end of the year/decade.

Looking forward to Mars Volta and Sparta, the :afro: 's and non- :afro: 's factions of what used to be At the Drive-In.

New Blur and Foo Fighters albums due too. :D

Yeah looking forward to the Foo's new album, hope it takes a step back towards the Colour and the Shape though. :D

Also Prodigy's new album, if it ever comes out should be well worth a look in!! I know they have been doing the festival circuit everywhere except the UK & Ireland!! They're in Las Vegas in April!! :D

Check out the new Prodigy Logo!!

prodlogo.jpg

For more up to date prodigy info and their solo projects go to

Prodigy Stuff

Also looking forward to the new Oasis album, should be good!!  :approve:

oasis.jpg

I know it aint the new album but its still a good one!!

I'm sure Moby's new album will be cool too.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hate to say it MLB, never really been a big fan of Idlewild (don't tell RabJab i said that! LOL). On the new releases front, just bought David Holmes 'Come Get It I Got It', well worth buying btw! Some hard to find rare funk tracks there, nicely mixed by Mr.Holmes, think 'Brainfreeze' by DJ Shadow but with less scratching!?! Also just got Badly Drawn Boy's 'Silent Sigh', if your a fan you won't be dissapointed. It could easily have been on his 'Bewilderbest' album. I recommend getting the 7" as it's apparently a live version (so it says on the sleeve! ) recorded on KRCW's 'Morning Becomes Eclectic' radio show, it may be on the CD single, I don't know. Till next time fellow muso's! :D

Not sure how many fans are out there, but Rush's long awaited new album is on sale on May 14. I've already downloaded all the songs (I'm going to buy the ablum, but I couldn't wait) and they are suberb. Still very much rush, but even heavy than the past 4 albums, almost nu-metalish, but not in any derogitory sense. I'd say this will be a big comebakc for them, but they never released a bad album and never really lost their fan base, but I feel it is going to be huge.

Cool, I knew they were coming out with something new but haven't heard a peep about it for a while, I'll get to DLing those immediately.  So far I just have rush chronicles and I'm really looking into getting their better cds cause I love what I've heard so far.  You know which ones are considered their best?

I have not heard of this band. Rush you say? I might check 'em out. The only possible explanation I can think of as to why I haven't heard them (ego or what!) is that they have not ventured out of the States yet to this side of the Atlantic. Any more info would be cool?  :D

I'll reply to you both.

First of all, Rush is internationally renowned and well-established. This is their 17th studio album coming out in May, and I think they are inarguably the band with the most consistant staying power in the world. I think just about every person in the world has heard 'Tom Sawyer', even if they don't recognize the name. The drummer, Neil Peart, is often considered one of the greatest and most well-respected drummers of all-time (along with a few others) and tops more 'greatest drummer' list than any one else. The guitarist and bassist (Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee) are not quite as highly regarded in their own fields, but are also among the best in the world.

Once you start getting into them, you get hooked. And as to where to go after you want to move beyond Chronicles (their 2-disc best of), Moving Pictures isn't my personnal favorite, but it's certainly an amazing album, their most commercially successful collection, and their most accessable one, so that's where I'd recommend you go first. Other good choices would be 2112 (if you like progressive concept albums), Permanant Waves (if you want some good solid rock similar to Moving Pictures), Signals (if you want some tasteful 80's style synthesizer with your rock), or Counterparts (if you want something more contempory sounding). Rush should be announcing tour dates soon and I've yet to experience them live, but it's supposed to be the experience of a lifetime.

• 4 weeks later...

IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY GOT IT, BUY BADLY DRAWN BOY'S NEW ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ALBUM 'ABOUT A BOY', YOU WON'T REGRET IT!

Moby's new LP out today too, woohoo! (any one see him acting cheesy on TOTP the other day? LOL)

BE WARNED! Rush have a new album out today too, so i've a feeling JMT will post here soon!  ;)

I thought his TOTP performance was terrible, he just sort of wandered around looking slightly bored. Not like when I saw him at Glasto when the air was filled with the opening notes of 'Porcelain' and he stoof on his keyboard and threw his arms to the sky.

Beautiful.

Anyway, new Moby album should be cool, gotta go check out BDB's latest effort sometime as well.

Rush's long awaited new album, Vapor Trails, is in stores tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised to see in Top the Billboard 200, but I wouldn't be surpised if it didn't either. Either way, except to see it make an impression. All the major music publication have been praising it (naturally). I'm buying it as soon as I get some of that...what's it called? Oh yeah, money.

Ok JMT, I've never heard any Rush songs and they sound a bit dad-rock to me...so here it is, recommend one song of theirs, whether you think it's their best, most accessible or most typical, whichever you want. We'll (well at least I'll) download it and then see if they're to our taste, what do you think?

Guest Yahve
Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

6 years..... must endure.  right around the corner... again. :scared:

Oddly, the most recent albums I've bought are old albums, there's not many good albums out at the moment. I'm not a great fan of Moby's music, he has some good songs but I think he's been overhyped. I'd like to get BDB but the fact it's a soundtrack album has me dubious.

Some good albums out later in the year but for the moment I'll console myself with 'Rocket from the Crypt - RFTC' and 'At the Drive-in - Acrobatic Tenement', apparently both are brilliant earlier albums by both bands, got them on order, RFTC should be in tomorrow, ATDI next week! :D :afro:

Ok KOS, this is a very difficult task seeing as Rush has 17 studio albums and no real bad songs. Like trying to recommend only one Beatles song. So what I'm going to do is setup a bunch of discribtions. Which every best suits you, go for the corresponding song:

Do you like the nu-metal scene (System of a Down, Linkin Park, etc)? Try their new single "One Little Victory".

Do you like classic rock, the kind of music that classic rock radio stations play, stuff you know you've heard before but never really knew the name of? Try their ultra-classic "Tom Sawyer".

Do you like Progressive Rock, long, complex songs, or often suites? Try the full-length version of the seven part epic "2112".

Like songs with heavy use of synthesizers but not goofy stuff? Try the lyrically intense "Subvisions".

Like rap rock, rock songs with sections that have hip-hop style music (Like Faith No More)? Try "Roll The Bones".

Like angry angsty grunge? Try "Stick It Out".

Like Instrumental-Only songs? Try their best instrumental song, "La Villa Strangiato".

That's all I can think of right now. Give Rush a chance and you won't be disappointed (generally speaking anyway, evidently IC has and he doesn't like them, but he's the only one I've every heard who has).

Archived