Hondo's Bar

Shenmue

The NZA

• 1 month later...

this is so cool.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9V8T8nkgpU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9V8T8nkgpU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9V8T8nkgpU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

29z1mx1.png

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1EEBTurBTg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1EEBTurBTg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1EEBTurBTg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• 4 months later...
GDC 2011: Yu Suzuki: 'Sega Will Probably Let Me Make Shenmue 3'

March 2, 2011

GDC 2011: Yu Suzuki: 'Sega Will Probably Let Me Make Shenmue 3 '

At a Game Developer's Conference discussion, Yu Suzuki revealed that Sega may allow him to make Shenmue 3 in the future. The question arose from a stack of audience questions, with one audience member inquiring simply, "when will Shenmue 3 be released?"

“Well, I want to make it,” began Suzuki. “About 200 people will buy it, I think. But funding is an issue,” he said. He first cleared up a few facts about the original Shenmue. First of all, the game was to be the Dreamcast's killer app. “We talked about a Virtua Fighter RPG," he said, "with Akira as the character we would use.”

“From the beginning, the new title without using Akira would be more acceptable,” he said, so they went in a different direction. According to Suzuki, the $70 million Sega said it cost was an embellishment. It was "only $47 million," he said. "Well, maybe I shouldn't say only," he joked.

Where did all that money go, in 1999 dollars? “We spent it on development and marketing… actually where did we spend it again?” he joked.

Getting back around to the subject of Shenmue 3, Suzuki finally stated, “Probably Sega will let me make it. I think. It's simply a problem of budget.”

111l8w4.gif

I know, I know...too soon for celebration.

C'mon HD Releases.

• 10 months later...

You get to play as Ryu and Master Chief? I shoulda given it more of a chance!

It wasn't the pacing, I mean I fucking played Deadliest Catch for near on 12 hours, I can do stupid repetative shit no problem, it was just the whole package to me, wasnt interesting in the least. And I didn't play it at launch I played it like 5 years after Shenmue 2 came out so maybe that biased me a little. But still. 2 is ok, 1 was...meh.

I have a feeling that if I tried to play Shenmue these days, I would just pass out.

But I got that shit on launch day, and it was a phenomenon. There wasn't anything like GTA 3 yet, so that sort of 3D sandbox thing was like some fanboy dream. (No, Omikron...you don't really count. But I did love you more than I probably should have).

I would play Super Runabout: San Francisco and drive around in the open world for hours on end, then play Shenmue and walk around and interact with shit, and remember thinking "My god, if they put these two together, I'd never leave the house".

yeah, i think a fair amount of magic - again, specifically part 1, cause part 2 plays like a kung-fu flick - had to do with the era.

it's dirt-slow even if you stay on point with plot stuff, but there's so very much to find & do that's still occasionally being unearthed based on time of day/date on the system's clock, and i argue the attention to detail was still ahead of what we get now - but companies like Rockstar picked up the general idea and dropped said detail/narrative and put something together that appeals a lot more to western crowds, so revisiting it is gonna feel like mexican missions in Red Dead Redemption in slow-mo on a hot sunny day.

i was kinda thinking the same along logans' lines here with Sonic Adventure the other day - it really did feel groundbreaking at launch, but it was such in a way that aged horribly as so many others since showed up & did the hubworld/alternating protagonist/etc thing with better level design.

if someone were to want to check out Shenmue at this point, i'd reluctantly push 1 (because you really gotta be interested in the plot by the time you hit the docks) and would not fault them at all for watching the catch-up movie of major cutscenes and jumping into 2, honestly.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Did he ever track down those sailors?

My favorite part of this thread is the part where Nick snobbishly implies that GTA gamers are incapable of appreciating nuance and detail in the most passive-aggressive way possible. Though the Nietzsche graphic is a close second.

I imagine this is a fun thread for you to re-read, huh Nick?

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Hmmm 1