Hondo's Bar

british music

Nanno

Mine's navy with yellow print, mclusky on the front and SHITROCK on the back (I'd imagine it a play on Britrock). On pay days and the like we have a casual day at work, wore that in once, wasn't till after work that someone reminded me that I'd been in work all day with a profanity on my back. Oops! :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I know the one. Was a tough choice between those two tees.

The Music are coming to Boston next morth, same time my sister is visiting. Can't wait to see those guys again, saw them in December and just blew me away. Then bought the new album, Welcome to the North and hasn't left my CD player yet. Brilliant stuff.

• 1 month later...

my god i've just heard the new single from stereophonics' new album. its called 'dakota', and i think its fucking brilliant, was dancing around the sitting room (when sof wasn't there) like a looney.

can't wait for the new album in march, it got a rating of 4 outta 5 in fhm magazine. woohoo!! :D i'm so happy right now

Is that sarcastic or for real? :D

Bet they tour the USA when I'm back in the UK dammit.

Not too upset though as got Dizzee Rascal, Ash (supported by the Bravery) and Trail of Dead all coming to Boston in March and April though!! Wahoo!!!! Gonna kick ass.

The Music were brill by the way. Sold the place out, was pretty suprised. Enjoyed Kasabian as the support as well. Nothing new, reminds me a lot of Primal Scream, but still good at what they do.

Don't get me worng, I'm not an old-skool Idlewild snob (Remote Part is my fave album) but I do hope they haven't gone all R.E.M.'y rock-lite for the entire new album.

Don't really like the new single bit boring, but then again I wasn't a big fan of "You held the world in your arms" when I first heard it, and Remote Part still turned out to be my fave album.

Hope those guys still know how to rock!!! Don't let me down Roddy! :D

Nah man, not being sarcastic, they're an ace band live!!! its gonna be a great night, nice small venue too for that up close and personal feel.

I assumed you were excited SoF, just didnt know if Nanno was genuinely excited or just being dragged along.

As for being an ace live band, I can testify to that. Seen them like 5 times.

I've found a Warnings/Promises torrent (not hard, google searched 'idlewild warnings promises torrent'), may have it tomorrow...

Seen em at least 4 times, once when 100 Broken Windows just came out (Roddy was still in his hiding in the corner phase), once at Witnness (I know you were happy to watch Oasis Wayne but that show was kick ass!), once with Wayne at the Ambassador in Dublin and the acoustic gig in Manchester. I'm sure I've seen em somewhere else...I think...or maybe I just need some sleep.

PS: must post the set list of the acoustic, I'll try and do so tomorrow.

Dizzee Rascal, Ash... all coming to Boston in March and April though!!

Know if either of them are playing anywhere in the tri-state. I've seen Ash 9 times and I'd defintly go for a 10th and Dizzee is the business. If not and you go see 'em in Boston and ya get a strong whiff of stale marlboros and jameson don't turn around....

Got it DLed, I'll have listens on the ways to and from work...

Warnings/Promises - first impressions

Warning: compared to The Remote Part it's a lot easier going, there's nothing like 'A Modern Way Of Letting Go' or 'I Am What I Am Not' in terms of tempo, plus the overall feel and tone of the album doesn't ever go dark like 'Century After Century' or the intense 'Scottish Friction' wail-out. Though I never thought of them as that similar to REM as music journos would say, there are moments on this when you'd think...

However it has promise, it boasts a more mature sound which is not necessarily a bad thing, and while they don't rock out there's a few songs with dirty riffage like 'I Want A Warning', 'The Space Between All Things' or 'Too Long Awake'. And 'El Capitan', I likes a lot.

Possibly more to follow and maybe finally the acoustic setlist that i never have time to type...

Know if either of them are playing anywhere in the tri-state. I've seen Ash 9 times and I'd defintly go for a 10th and Dizzee is the business. If not and you go see 'em in Boston and ya get a strong whiff of stale marlboros and jameson don't turn around....

Creepy :D

ASH & THE BRAVERY – co-headlining tour

March 9th - Philadelphia, PA @ Theater of the Living Arts

March 10th - Washington, DC @ Black Cat

March 11th - Carrboro, NC @ Cat's Cradle

March 12th - Atlanta, GA Vinyl Atlanta

March 14th - Houston, TX @ Engine Room

March 15th- San Antonio, TX Sanctuary

March 17-19th - Austin, TX SXSW

March 20th - Dallas, TX @ Tree's

March 22nd- Albuquerque, NM @ Launch Pad

March 23rd - Phoenix, AZ @ Mason Jar

March 25th - San Diego, CA @ Casbah

March 26th - Los Angeles, CA @ Troubadour

March 29th - San Francisco, CA @ Slim's

March 31st - Vancouver, BC @ Richard's on Richards

April 1st - Portland, OR @ Crystal Ballroom

April2nd - Seattle, WA @ El Corazon (formerly Graceland)

April 4th - Salt Lake City, UT @ Lo-Fi Cafe

April 5th - Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theatre

April 7th – Minneapolis, MN – venue TBA

April 8th - Chicago, IL @ Metro - Smart Bar

April 9th – Columbus, OH @ venue TBA

April 10th – Detroit, MI @ venue TBA

April12th - Cleveland, OH @ Agora Ballroom

April 13th - Toronto, ONT @ Opera House

April 14th – Montreal, Canada – venue TBA

April 15th – Boston, MA @ Axis

April 17th – New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom

Dizzee Rascal tour:

Mar 30 - Vancouver BC - Commodore Ballroom

Mar 31 - Portland OR. - Doug Fir Lounge

Apr 1 - Seattle WA. - Neumos Crystal Ballroom

Apr 2 - Eugene OR - Wow Hall

Apr 4 - San Francisco CA - Independant

Apr 5 - Los Angelas CA - El Rey Theater

Apr 6 - San Diego CA - Canes

Apr 8 - Salt Lake City UT - Lo-Fi Cafe

Apr 11 - Dallas TX - Gypsy Tea Room

Apr 12 - Austin TX - Parish (formerly The Mercury)

Apr 14 - Houston TX - Engine Room

Apr 15 - New Orleans LA - Parish

Apr 16 - Atlanta GA - Loft @ Earthlink Live (formerly Vinyl)

Apr 18 - Orlando FL - The Social (formerly Saphire SC)

Apr 19 - Miami FL - I/O Lounge

Apr 21 - Carrboro NC - Cat's Cradle

Apr 26 - Boston MA - Middle East Cafe

Apr 27 - Montreal Quebec - Club Soda

Apr 28 - Toronto Ontario - Opera House

Apr 29 - East Lansing MI - Union Ballroom

Apr 30 - Chicago IL - Double Door

Sweet MH. If you want some hints on songs to give a listen to from both acts just shout.

Also, you have to post reviews if you go let me know what to expect. Seen Ash a bunch of times (always great) but never seen Dizzee so probably most excited about that.

Sweet MH. If you want some hints on songs to give a listen to from both acts just shout.

Also, you have to post reviews if you go let me know what to expect. Seen Ash a bunch of times (always great) but never seen Dizzee so probably most excited about that.

Hell yes! show me the light!

and If I get the chance to go, I'll take pictures and try to BS my way through a review (I'm so horrible at doing one, b/c all that seems to come out of my mouth is "so awesome! I love it! eee

Hell yes! show me the light!

and If I get the chance to go, I'll take pictures and try to BS my way through a review (I'm so horrible at doing one, b/c all that seems to come out of my mouth is "so awesome! I love it! eee

Haha, those gushing reviews are the best. Here's my best picks from both bands (* for my absolute fave song). Correct me 2T et al if you think my lists are wack.

Ash

Girl From Mars

Kung Fu

Burn Baby Burn

Walking Barefoot

Nicole

* Clones *

Orpheus

Renegade Cavalcade

Vampire Love

Dizzee Rascal

I Luv U

Fix Up, Look Sharp

Jus' a Rascal

* Stand Up Tall *

Showtime

Learn

Grils

What I think track by track...

Idlewild - Warnings/Promises

1. Love Steals Us From Loneliness - great harmony, a major plus of this album over previous offerings, nicely underrated guitar licks and drumming hiding in the background. Has grown on me quite a lot. 4.5/5

2. Welcome Home - Again tapping on the isolation theme of earlier songs, lyrics like "I go outside to find the middle of nowhere, everyone needs their own empty stage, just like the sky with no beginning or ending, or like reading a book without a last page", the chorus takes a few listens to get into as it is a tad twee but it kicks in with a jamming bridge later, fuck the tempo, solos kick ass, this kicks ass. 4/5

3. I Want A Warning - Snarling entwined guitars abound creating a bizarre monster of a tune, reminds a bit of 'Soulwax - E-Talking'. The lyrics are good except for the chorus which rhymes 'warning' with 'warning' and um, 'warnings'. Still as the virtual title track it doesn't disappoint, given its flaws it still gets a 5/5

4. I Understand It - Like trying to follow the Beatles this suffers by it's position on the album. A perfectly good, nice song that picks up pace a little in the middle and has a big ol' chorus of harmonised ohohoh's. Gets interesting just as it's ending... 3.5/5

5. As If I Hadn't Slept - Again great harmony and production, the guitars are perfectly layered, sounds very REM but in the best possible way. 4/5

6. Too Long Awake - Screeching guitars greet your entry and give way to throbbing bass, it's a full 75 seconds of a 3 minute song before Roddy even gets in on the act. The again familiar topic of change comes in in the verses but the chorus is a little inscrutable, "Together, we're younger than you are forever, we're older than we are together, if we have so much to do", still sounds good. It ends abrubtly, and I mean REALLY abrupt, perhaps to do with it's acoustic reprise later? 4.5/5

7. Not Just Sometimes But Always - The lads get the strings in for a bit of a help out, quite like American English though less anthemic. Bit repetitive at the chorus, "Iknow what I know, I know what I know" but overall a strong ballad. 4/5

8. The Space Between All Things - Shows teeth from the beginning, actually a lot like Century after Century, I was a little off with my earlier post. The chorus wouldn't sound out of place on a Big Country album (which I think is a good thing btw), and again with another jam at the bridge, the band get to play around and take over for a little before a chorus reprise. 4.5/5

9. El Capitan - Sounds a bit dodgy at the start, tinkly piano cutting to a bouncy verse but it has an kickass, anthemic chorus, "Stand up, stand up, and stand down, I'll climb El Capitan, and I'll jump off to cheers from the crowd", with a drumline quite alike to 'Doves - Pounding' that should get feet tapping everywhere. Possibly my favorite song on the album. 5/5

10. Blame It On Obvious Ways - A power ballad, pure and simple, but a good one, Roddy gives it a good going. 4/5

11. Disconnected - Repitition again lyrically but it works well here, "But I'm connected to the places I don't feel connected from, I'm connected to the place that I don't feel like I'm from", hating on small town living, another good but unspectacular ballad. 4/5

12. Goodnight/silence/Too Long Awake (Reprise) - It's indicative of the direction they've taken that they finish on an song that starts off acoustic with an echoey vocal, it kicks in afterwards although not majorly. There's literally silence for a couple of minutes then the reprise of Too Long Awake is a country tinged acoustic version of the earlier track. Overall a fitting ending to the album, not great but alright, and for the third track in a row earns a 4/5

So the album as a whole, not as good as The Remote Part but a brave new direction for them to take. Slower in tempo but they have crafted a lot of good songs and are able to show their musical proficiency off. I hope fans of earlier stuff give it enough time to grow on them, and I hope they can finally get the commercial recognition they've deserved for some time.

As for my much promised setlist, helpfully they've posted the setlist of the Manchester (and other acoustic gigs) on their website, useful since I can't remember where I left the piece of paper I'd wrote it on. I've put the album titles on for the benefit of those who might not have heard all of the 'Wild's early stuff.

This is what I was treated to...

1. When I argue I see shapes (Hope Is Important)

2. You held the world in your arms (The Remote Part)

3. Welcome home (Warnings/Promises)

4. Winter is blue (Vashti Bunyan cover)

5. Little discourage (100 Broken Windows)

6. Disconnected (Warnings/Promises)

7. I'm happy to be here tonight (Hope Is Important)

8. El Capitan (Warnings/Promises)

9. Safe and sound (Hope Is Important)

10. Not just sometimes but always (Warnings/Promises)

11. Pleasure and pain (Ben Harper cover)

12. The bronze medal (100 Broken Windows)

13. Live in a hiding place (The Remote Part)

14. Love steals us from loneliness (Warnings/Promises)

--------------

15. Self healer (Captain)

16. Too long awake (Warnings/Promises)

17. American English (The Remote Part)

18. Goodnight (Warnings/Promises)

Archived