Hondo's Bar

DC All Stars

So I didn't really care about the Morrison/Quietly "Superman" book, 'cause inverness "Superman" sucks a whole lotta cock no matter who does him. Plus I hear that Superman is a dick. However....

Confirming rumors that started on writer Geoff Johns' messageboard, The New York Times reported that Frank Miller will write the previously announced All-Star Batman and Robin, which will join  All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely.

The series will mark Miller’s first return to Batman since The Dark Knight Strikes Again in 2001, and his first take on a more mainstream Batman since 1987’s “Batman: Year One,” which originally ran in DC's regular Batman series. The creator pairing also marks the first time Lee will work with Miller.

AS_Batman.jpg

As Newsarama previously reported, the idea behind the All-Star line isn’t to spin the characters into a new timeline, a new universe, or a new continuity, rather, the creators are telling stories set in a contemporary period that both builds on the histories of the respective characters, while remaining fresh and as timeless as possible. These are books that DC hopes, will pull people in who maybe haven’t read a Batman or Superman story in a while – if ever. These versions and stories, while not “dumbed down” at all, will bring to the page what’s pure about the character – the iconic characteristics.

In the case of All-Star Batman, Robin is Dick Grayson, rather than the current, in-continuity Tim Drake. And Miller’s story will focus on the relationship between Grayson and his mentor.

As Miller said, “This is Dick Grayson's initiation and he's dealing with a very stern teacher. Batman is a hard teacher - unforgiving. Brutal. At the same time, Grayson is watching Batman come into his full power. Me and Jim Lee get to play with all of DC's toys. It'll be a romp. It'll be a lot of fun. I plan on raiding DC's treasury of characters. There won't be a Black Canary or a Wonder Woman unused.”

AS_Robin.jpg

The deal was hammered out by Batman (and now All-Star) Group Editor Bob Schreck, who said: "This is quite an honor and, needless to say, a fairly daunting task that DC has bestowed upon me by handing me the helm of DC All-Stars. Being able to help these incredibly talented creators bring their amazing tales to life on the comics page is going to be one heck of a ride, no doubt. I can't wait until the readers get to see what's in store for them."

And finally, DC's Dan Didio: "Frank was instrumental in redefining Bruce Wayne as Batman for a new generation, and I for one, can't wait to see him bring that same level of clarity and interpretation to Dick Grayson and Robin. With the teams now set for the two All Star books, Batman and Robin and Superman, I think every will agree that they meet the expectations set for these series. All Star creators working on iconic versions of our All Star characters - it doesn' t get much better than this!"

At his blog, Lee wrote:

So the news is out there officially now. Over at the esteemed New York

Times online no less...they are reporting that none other than Frank Miller will be the writer on the new Batman and Robin All-Star book debuting this summer.

To say this is my ultimate, dream project would be an incredible understatement. Back when I was in college from 1982 to 1986, I grew bored and disenchanted with comics, barely perusing my subscriptions when I went home for various holiday breaks. Frank Miller changed all that in 1986 when the Dark Knight Returns blew my mind and lit up my retinas.

I haven't been the same since.

My passion for creating comics comes from this one book and I've embarrassed Frank countless times by repeating this exact same story to him. Being fortunate enough to have as passionate fans, I know how it feels to be told similar tales so I hold back and try and act normal around him now so I don't freak him out. But he is fucking Frank Miller, man.

OK, geek mode off.

Obviously, I have known about this for some time now. I even jetted out to Austin, Texas where Frank was co-directing his incredible Sin City movie with Robert Rodriguez. We went out to dinner and over tequila shots and beer, we talked comics, specifically, Batman and Robin. It's a great fucking story, however, one I can't divulge in the slightest. He even gave me some art tips and feedback.

Lee_B_R.jpg

To say the pressure is on is an friggin' understatement. I am certain I will have to force myself to pull back while I work on this book lest I overwork this mofo to death from enthusiasm.

At the end, he gave me some art tips, and the next day, I even got to see a rough cut of Sin City at Rodriguez's production studios. I signed an NDA so I can't say anything beyond that other than I will be first in line when the movie hits theaters this Spring.

Above are the pencils to a panel from Batman: Hush. It's the only decent shot I could find of Batman and Robin I could find right away that I am allowed to show you. In the series, I went to watercolors on top of this pencil layout.

There will be no doubt, more on Batman and Robin, as time passes including DC's official press release today on the book's creative team.

According to the Times, All-Star Batman is slated to begin in July. Reportedly, the storyline will last six issues.

Frank Miller AND Jim Lee on Batman...this is gonna be the shit (and yeah DK2 wasn't the May West, but have faith if you're gonna hate).

Still think Superman chugs the man-cock.

Yeah, ok, I won't even comment on DK2...

Still, Miller giving another run at Batman sounds great, especially with Lee doing the art (Lee's collaboration with Loeb on Hush was, I think, one of the best things to happen to Batman comics in a decade). The only thing I worry about is when Miller talks about "raiding DC's treasury of characters". It seems like everytime a high-profile writer comes onboard an established series, they feel the need to bring in every single character from that universe that they've always wanted to write. Look at what Kevin Smith did on his first run of Green Arrow (or Daredevil, for that matter). Look at how many characters Loeb and Azarello brought in when they got ahold of Batman. Miller's certainly done it before, too. Who didn't he use in DK2? He even brought in Plastic Man, for godsakes. I didn't even know DC owned Plastic Man! It just seems like overkill sometimes.

• 5 weeks later...

Wizard's article on this last month got me hyped, and theyve certainly got good teams: Miller/Lee on Batman? Morrison/Quitely on Supes? DC's been trying to sign these people to exclusives for a while now; my only complaint is why has this taken so long to pull off...? Ultimate Marvel's been on top for years now, its clear it wasnt a stunt...I mean, i can see why they held out to make sure it wasnt another "Heroes Reborn"

I'm waiting to see more titles, and I hope Green Lantern's next, with Marz or someone better writing.

Newsarama - a DC story leaked through, despite Quesada's week at the helm...

AS_Batman.jpg

A QUICK MILLER MINUTE ON ALL-STAR BATMAN AND ROBIN

by Cliff Biggers, special to Newsarama.com

Last month, word broke of Frank Miller teaming with Jim Lee for All-Star Batman and Robin. Jim Lee took some time to chat about the upcoming project, and now, we have a few words from Frank Miller himself regarding the book, how it came about, and where he hopes to go with it.

What led Miller to sign on as writer of the new series? “It’s Batman & Robin, the Boy Wonder!” Miller replied. “Jim wanted to work with me. It looked like fun. Once Jim said he was ready to run with my notion of featuring a very young Dick Grayson as the story's hero, we were rolling.”

Shortly after the second Dark Knight project came to an end, Miller had told Comic Shop News that he was talking to DC about possibly writing other books that would be set in the “Dark Knight Universe,” as he described it. Will he utilize any of the ideas he had bounced around for that DKU spinoff in this new series? “Anything I come up with about any of these characters is DKU,” Miller said. “DC winds up adopting just about all of it, anyway..

In his Dark Knight work, Miller has given readers a glimpse into the twilight years of Batman’s career. In Batman: Year One, he’s shared the beginning of the Batman saga. So where does All-Star Batman fall in his Batman time-table? “Year Three. Bats is feeling his oats—very young, maybe acting a little crazy, but he knows exactly what he's doing. He's just a bit sloppier about doing it than he's going to eventually get.”

DC has described this book as having a sort of timeless quality, rather than being overtly set in any single era. As far as Miller is concerned, though, is there one Bat-era that’s a personal fave—and will he try to invoke the feel of that era in his stories? “Personal fave? The ‘40s. But who knows where we'll go?”

The last time Miller tackled Batman, his story was seasoned with a heaping helping of sardonic satire; will this series be more straight-ahead and serious in tone? “Wait and see, man!”

All-Star Batman & Robin is due in stores in July.

• 4 months later...

Newsarama: Frak Miller talks about Batman! http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Batman/AllS...atmanRobin.html

ASBMRCv1b.jpg

Frank Miller Talks All-Star Batman & Robin the Boy Wonder 

by Matt Brady

Easily one of the most anticipated comics of the year finally reaches stores next week: All-Star Batman & Robin The Boy Wonder by Frank Miller and Jim Lee. The first of DC’s “All Star” imprint (and featuring a trade dress and logo designed by Chip Kidd), the ongoing series takes the Batman story back to when Batman was young and relatively inexperienced…and taking on a sidekick named Robin.

We sat down for a conversation with Miller about the series, his views of Batman, Robin, and why he can’t stay away from this particular well.

Newsarama: Let’s start with the obvious question first – what brought you to this project? You’ve said that a lot of it had to do with Jim drawing it – was there much begging or groveling on his part?

Frank Miller: Oh no. Jim doesn’t need to beg or grovel. He’s kind of good at his job [laughs]. Actually, he and I had been talking about doing something together for a long time, and this just felt like the right project. When it was offered by [All-Star imprint editor] Bob Schreck and [DC Executive Editor] Dan DiDio, it just seemed like a natural for the two of us. When I heard Jim was on for sure, that got me on as well. I love the subject, too – Batman is a character I just seem to have to revisit every few years.

I also wanted to do something with Dick Grayson that was a lot different than the bland version that was around at the beginning, or the version that cast him as a quasi-Batman. I wanted Dick to be his own kid. Also, I love the idea of making him even younger than he was before.

NRAMA: How old is he in this story?

FM: He’s only 12 years old. I tell you he’s 12 in almost every third caption, so there’s no doubt.

NRAMA: What is it about Batman that, as you said, draws you back to revisit him every few years? At this point in your career, and with no offense meant to any work you’re planning, I think you could probably say, “I’ve said enough with Batman” and no one would argue with you. What keeps you coming back?

FM: I like him. There are certain characters that just talk to you. I regard Batman as unusual in that I really don’t believe in any single interpretation of him as being carved in stone. I see Batman as a piece of folklore – a huge jewel that you can throw against any wall, and it won’t break, but will show you another way of looking at him. There are at the very least, a dozen different ways to do Batman, and they all work. Everything from Neal Adams/Denny O’Neil to Adam West to Dark Knight – the character is so resilient that he can be interpreted any which way…and work. I, for instance, love Dick Sprang and Jerry Robinson’s depiction, and base a lot of the ways I draw the character on their view of him.

NRAMA: The broad-bodied and barrel-chested guy with short ears on his costume…

FM: Right – if I want to draw a skinny guy, I’ll draw Daredevil.

NRAMA: Going back to the start of this project, how was this pitched to you? Did they say they wanted Batman, or Batman and Robin, or just see what you wanted to do?

FM: They specifically wanted to do Batman and Robin. My first condition was that it would be called Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder. I immediately knew that Robin was going to be the subject of the story. That way, we could play Batman a bit more of the archetype and the stern father, and Robin as the young warrior, learning his way.

NRAMA: That said, your Batman that you’ve shown in previous stories is, if anything, eminently practical, to the point of being methodical and emotionless in his ways. Why in the world would he bring a child into this world of his?

FM: I felt that somebody finally had to explain that, and I worked hard on it.

NRAMA: But still, it does seem to go against his view of protecting innocents, as well as innocence…

ASBR1_08.jpg

FM: No, it makes perfect sense when you think about it. He explains it to Alfred in the story, saying, “I’m a young man, but I won’t always be young, and the mission has to continue.” Robin is his apprentice. He’s training his replacement. That’s the life he intends for Robin.

Of course Alfred’s reaction is, “I’m dyspeptic!” and is horrified that Bruce would do such a thing, and even, if he did something like that, admit it out loud. Alfred already has to deal with this nutcase as a boss, and now he has to worry about a kid as well.

NRAMA: The apprentice approach does seem to go towards the ideas that “Batman would never put a child in danger.” Is it that, he would, if that child is his apprentice?

FM: Well, he didn’t want to get Dick Grayson at this age. It was the murder of his parents that forced his hand. Bruce was going to wait, as he puts it, “Until the kid was old enough to shave.”

NRAMA: So Bruce wasn’t going out, shopping for a12 year-old?

FM: No, but he’d been watching Dick Grayson because he was the most talented kid he’d seen yet. He was planning on taking him under his wing in maybe another six years, but instead, he has to do it when the kid is still too young for the job.

NRAMA: How does that play in the story? It seems that would affect the dynamic that Bruce was planning to have when training his apprentice…

FM: it is important in the series. My Robin is snotty. The two do not get along for a long time. There’s always banter back and forth, where Robin thinks that a lot of the stuff Batman does is old fashioned and weird, and kind of odd – and this is Batman, who is all of 24 or 25. But when you’re 12, a 24 or 25 year old is Methuselah.

NRAMA: Speaking of the whole setting in time, you’ve said that this is, at least, unofficially, “Batman: Year Two” for you…

FM: That’s the way I’m thinking of it, the title is definitely Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder. I love having my name on something called that. I always loved the “Boy Wonder” line, before he was turned into the Teen Wonder, and almost a “Grim Robin.” But I just love the idea of a young Robin. That’s why I created Carrie Kelly in Dark Knight - I just loved the contrast between this stocky, tough, dark adult, and a colorful little pixie running around.

Also – if you’re older than 12, are you going to come up wit that costume?

NRAMA: So Robin chose the outfit?

FM: Do you think Bruce would?

NRAMA: Now that you mention it, not really.

FM: Robin creates “Robin,” essentially.

NRAMA: How much so in that regard? Does Bruce even give him the name, or is all of this Dick’s creation?

FM: It’s Dick’s. Bruce hadn’t thought this thing through enough, given that he was somewhat “forced” to take Robin in before he – both Bruce, and Dick – were ready. Bruce is clearly winging it. This is a young Batman who’s trying to figure out what he’s doing. He’s got all the cool toys – he’s got the Batmobile, and is building the cave, but he’s this bachelor. He can solve any murder you want him to, disguise himself as anyone in the world, but handling a kid? That’s kind of outside his purview – somewhere outside of what he trained himself for. So he’s struggling with the whole thing, and it comes down to Robin to pick the identity that he has. I don’t want to reveal it, but it’s pretty cool, the reason he’s called “Robin.” I worked on it for a while, and I don’t want to reveal it now, but I’m pretty happy with it.

NRAMA: What is the effect of bringing Dick in under his wing at this point in time in his career as Batman? Is it the classic, “He humanizes Bruce/Batman?”

FM: I’m playing that as it goes. They’re talking to each other right now. I’ve plotted a lot of this story, but I’m letting these characters talk a lot, back and forth, and they’re defining each other for me. I’m letting them run with the ball right now.

NRAMA: Speaking of Bruce again, in your previous work with him he’s shown different leanings at his different ages in regards to justice, politics, and social issues. He’s not his Dark Knight persona yet, but where do you see him on his continuum?

FM: He’s a man with a mission, He believes that he has, in his own words, in a “holy war,” and is out to save the city. I was very pleasantly surprised to see it phrased the same way in Batman Begins. Batman feels that his mission is to save the city, but yeah, he’s far more idealistic at this point than the beat up Dark Knight we seen in a few decades’ time.

NRAMA: So he still believes the city can be saved at this point?

FM: Yes.

NRAMA: That is idealistic.

FM: One of his key lines is him saying, “Gotham needs me.”

NRAMA: Along those lines, does Batman ever turn, in your eyes? Does he ever realize that the city can’t be saved, and at very best, he can maybe hold it at the brink of chaos, or does that idealism stay with him, even to his dying breath?

FM: If you look at DKII, there’s clearly a lot of idealism there because he was the only one who thought that they could beat the bad guys. Everybody else either fled or became subservient. Idealism doesn’t mean that you can’t be cynical about certain things. For instance, if someone wants me to play Three Card Monte in my neighborhood, I am cynical when I look at them, because I know that’s a scam. But that doesn’t mean I’m cynical about life.

ASBR1_09.jpg

NRAMA: Pulling back from the story and character, let’s talk about your artist on the series…

FM: Yes, please.

NRAMA: How does that work? You’re an artist, he’s an artist, both of you are writers. Is this strictly a writer/artist relationship, or is there more give and take between the two of you?

FM: It’s a lot like it was with David Mazzucchelli. Jim and I don’t talk all that often – we talk now and then; we’re on good terms and everything. But I write a script with panel descriptions and everything in it. My panel descriptions have always been briefer than say, Alan Moore’s…

NRAMA: I think God’s are briefer than Alan Moore’s…

FM: [laughs] Probably. But it’s a difference in style for me. We’re both artists, we’re both writers, but in this project, I am the writer, he’s the artist, and we’re respecting each other’s disciplines. I’ll throw an image at him, but he’ll turn it right around, because we’re very different artists. That’s the pleasure of working with him.

He’s throwing me a lot of curveballs, but they’re all true to the story. It’s wonderful.

NRAMA: Knowing Jim’s strengths, do you find yourself putting things into the script thinking, “Jim’s going to knock this character/panel/image out of the park…”?

FM: Whenever I’m working with another artist, I try to play to them. For instance, when I’m working with Bill Sienkiewicz, he has wonderful powers of being evocative in his art, and he’s also wildly experimental when he wants to be, so I’ll play to that. Working with Dave Gibbons or David Mazzucchelli, I quick realized that these are two artists who are able to make anything believable, so I could make the material more and more complex – or, in the case of working with Dave on Martha Washington, more and more preposterous. He would continue to convince readers that it was true.

With Jim, he has a fine sense of drama, he draws beautifully, and there are certain things that he clearly has proclivity towards – one of them is spectacle, so I’m probably going to be driving him mad with some of the shots I’m calling for. So far, he’s up for it and doing great though.

NRAMA: Tell me a little about the “All Star” setting that this series is in as it’s been described to you. Is it a clean slate type of thing for you to populate as you see fit, or are there established rules of who’s where, when this is set in the larger picture, etc?

FM: If there are rules, no one has told them to me. They wanted me to cut loose with Batman and Robin. I mean, they didn’t want me to turn them into characters they wouldn’t be, but nobody’s every really told this story, as far as I know. I’m taking my time with it, in that it’s a very detailed origin story of Robin. I’m going to be using a lot of DC characters in it. Especially since I’m working with Jim Lee, I’ll be using a lot of the girls…

NRAMA: Are you talking about Batman’s supporting cast, or other heroes, or…

FM: Characters from all over the DC Universe. How am I going to do a Batman comic and not have Jim draw Black Canary? Please.

NRAMA: Knowing you and Jim, I figured Black Canary or a fishnet-era Zatanna would have to be in there somewhere…

FM: [laughs]

NRAMA: Any other names you can drop? After all, it seems that once you start talking about Batman, Superman crops up somewhere along the line…

FM: Oh yeah. I’ve already started writing that part of it. Superman is in it, Lois and Clark are in it. Vicki Vale has a very big part in it as well. I want to reintroduce Batgirl, the original one, and of course, Gordon will be in it. There will probably be an appearance by Wonder Woman as well….and Catwoman, who’s another “must-have” character when you’re talking about Batman.

NRAMA: And Catwoman will be Selina in pretty much the same characterization as she was in Year One?

FM: That’s what I’m planning, yeah. It’s a year later from when she and Bruce first met. Selina though, is as cranky as ever. I love Ed Brubaker’s take on her, don’t get me wrong – he’s done wonderful stuff with her, but my Selina in this story is more of a supporting character while his was a lead character. Ed’s is, as you’ll see, a little more likable than mine in this story. I’m also treating Catwoman as a villain. She hasn’t been a villain in Batman’s world for a long time. She’s a thief. She may be a very sexy thief, but she’s still a thief.

NRAMA: Especially with Jim drawing her…

FM: No, he doesn’t do bad work when it comes to Catwoman.

Also, I’ve got a part for Jimmy Olsen in this too.

NRAMA: Given that you’ve written the later chapters of Batman’s life with Dark Knight, and you’ve written Year One, and this is the unofficial “Year Two,” do you ever entertain fantasies of saying, “F___ it, I’m going to write my Batman from his start to his end. DC, give me ten years, and let me go nuts”?

FM: That kind of fantasy flits through the mind every now and then, but essentially, I write stories when I really have a story I want to tell. I wouldn’t have taken this on if I hadn’t sat down, thought about what they were offering in terms of creative freedom, setting, and everything else. After looking at it all, I realized I had a story here. It does relate to my other stories, but I like the fact that yeah, I’ve done the other bookend, but to show Batman, and more to the point, Dick Grayson becoming a hero…when we first see him, he’s a frightened, traumatized little boy. This is the story I want to tell now.

ASBR1_17.jpg

NRAMA: Traditionally, Robin’s origin and early years have been touched by villains and the costumed freaks of Batman’s world, from Boss Zucco in his 1940 origin to Joker and Two-Face more recently. Are you going to be playing with those themes as well?

FM: Oh yes. I’ve got plans for several of his villains, and they do relate to the overall storyline. It’s not awfully directly, but it is important.

NRAMA: Are you taking the same approach with them that you are with, say, the relationship with Batman and Robin, and making them more logical, at least to you? For instance, getting splashed in the face with acid and going crazy maybe needs a second look?

FM: [laughs] Actually, I find the most terrifying character circling around Batman remains the Joker, and I can’t keep may hands off of him. As I see it, there shouldn’t be anything funny about him. His name should be irony.

NRAMA: What is it with the Joker and you? Is it similar to your attraction to Batman in that you can always find a new facet to him?

FM: The thing is, the Joker is a sociopath and psychopath, but I would rather play up his evilness rather than his craziness. The Joker that I’ve always tried to portray, and now I get a chance to do it when he’s young – he’s satanic. He’s not laughing all the time.

There will be other characters that come climbing into the series as well. I haven’t been on a monthly gig for a long time, and I’ve forgotten how much fun it is. Things just start happening. The pages start coming in, and I see that Jim draws a female character really well, so I want to use her more than I planned. Many things like that happen across the course of the run. It’s almost like doing live theater – you get a feeling of what’s working and what’s not very quickly. It’s one of the really joys of working monthly.

NRAMA: Speaking to that, as you and Jim are looking at it, this is still pretty much open-ended?

FM: The last we talked, I told him that we were sailing past the originally projected six issues, and no one seems to mind. He’s on, I’m on, and we’re going to take this as long as we can. This is back like when we were doing Born Again in Daredevil – we had no idea how many issues it was going to be. It was originally supposed to be four, and then ended up being more than 200 pages long.

One thing you can always count on me for is that I always underestimate the number of pages that I’m going to eat up with my stories.

NRAMA: One could argue that for your fans, that’s not a bad thing.

FM: It is for me and a publisher if it was originally concieved as a 48-page book…[laughs]

NRAMA: Along those lines – how are you fitting this into your schedule? Do you set aside discreet periods where, say, you’re working on Sin City 2, and then stop and do Batman, or does it all just flow as it flows?

FM: I find that the more you do, the more you do. Throw yourself completely into whatever story you’re doing, whatever art job you’re doing. When you do that, you find the time. Maybe you don’t have as much leisure time, but I find that if I love what I’m doing, I never feel overworked. I love doing this stuff, and am thoroughly enjoying the collaboration with Jim, and there are a couple of other artists that I’m talking with about working on some stuff, and I’ve got a big art project I’m working on, and yeah, Sin City 2 is on the horizon, so I’m working on some new material for that. But it doesn’t feel burdensome at all.

I mean, I can’t complain if too much work that I love is the worst of my problems.

NRAMA: Lastly, is this the only Batman for the foreseeable future? At one point, you were working on a Batman/terrorist story…

FM: I’m 120 pages into the inks on that, and am working on it concurrently. That will probably be a single piece, somewhere around 150-200 pages long.

If Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder is “Batman Year Two” this is “Batman Year 1 and ½.” It’s quite a young Batman.

NRAMA: Sounds like you’ve got multiple Batman pots simmering on your stove, and you like it that way…

FM: Oh yeah – but there will be more Sin City, there’s a whole new series I’m planning, and life goes on.

For an earlier conversation with Jim Lee on the series, read above.

ASBMRCv1a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not giving up yet; im willing to let Miller finish up his first arc, and have the real goddamn Batman show up by its end, or something kooky.

Quietly (I know IC'll hate but I do dig his work)

Eh..i didnt like his :wolvy: , but its not like Kordey's work on New X-Men shined, either. Besides, i saw his other stuff - like Sandman: Endless Nights book on Destiny - and promptly shut my mouth; the man's talented.

Nah, I may take a look at one more issue being a masochist and all, but guh it shits on everything cool about the robin story while magnifying the creepy pedophile angle. Not to mention didn't they JUST retell this thing again what like 4 years ago in Dark Victory?

The Ultimate line is cool because Marvel is FINALLY retelling their old stuff, All-Stars is less so because well, DC has done the retellings what, 5 times now?

*sigh* and batman/spawn....

Im sayin, ill let a writer get at least an arc in, especially one nearly as accomplished as Miller.

Also, the relaunches are important right now, bishop...industry's still hurting, and with mass media outlets (big movies, new cartoons, games etc) there needs to be a solid jump-on, self-contained title for the public to pick up. The idea, largely, is to recapture some of the #'s they had in the early 90's, back when variant covers & Image shit was treated like a mini-stock market, but writers like Ellis argue its not gonna happen.

Regardless, i dont see how the attempt could be bad....Superman has, wha, 3 or 4 titles going a month? Not one can i read consistently (i.e., when Jim Lee leaves). The idea of a solo, self-contained one with Morisson & Quitely sounds like it has a lot of potential. So did this lineup, which is why I'm gonna ride it out & see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

allstarsuperman1_t.jpg

Eh....

2T: ive come around to Quitely's work, was impressed by his Destiny story in Sandman: Endless Nights, and looking back, his New X-Men was alright, i just didnt like his early work on :)

All-Star Batman..i wanna at least see how the first arc goes before i really say, but it better turn around soon.

Supes was good. They finished # 1 with a bang, i just wanna see if theyre moving too quick - Morrisson looks to be addressing some of the bigger elements all within this first arc, i could be wrong tho.

I'm a bit confused: Bats reads like an Ultimate re-launch; Supes kinda does too, but there's more backstory going already. Anyway, All-Star Suprman is looking more promising so far, which is odd given that the other title has Miller + Lee.

• 1 year later...
That truly is the poor-man's ultimate Marvel...

More like living in the getto poor-man's ultimate Marvel

Not giving up yet; im willing to let Miller finish up his first arc, and have the real goddamn Batman show up by its end, or something kooky.

So Nick. I have to know if you stuck to what you said or did you give up after he tried to make dick eat the rats.

DC heros are nuthin but monke krap, muhc like the NIk.

I mean ,shuperman weras underwear outshide his codtume. What kind of ifdiot wears undwear outdie thier costme?

Wha' that U say?

*I* do?

Well, whas yur point?'

I may be lamer thn suprman, byt the Nck is shtil monky krap for not lettn trplls vote.

Archived