Hondo's Bar

New Avengers

The NZA

Ok, so, New Avengers was another great issue - I love Lenil Francis Yu, and seeing this team take down the Wrecking Crew was awesome, makes me wanna go back and read The Hood mini-series too.

Do we have a topic for Illuminati? i guess its too late now, just got caught up on that one...holy shit. Im glad were past Planet Hulk, but this war's looking really promising, plus it could easily serve as the deus ex to unite the fractured Avengers - and if we could just get Cap back in it somehow...

But yeah,

we knew Elektra was a Skrull, but Black Bolt, that's fucking huge!

Good job Marvel, i may be as crossover-tired as the next fanboy, but i'm on bored, let's keep it going.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

that sucks.

pretty much all you'd need is the last 4-5 issues of New Avengers, and if youve not read the New Avengers Illuminati mini-series, i recommend it, it was a lotta fun seeing them play in between marvel canon. If nothing else, though, the seeds of the war are planted in issue # 1 of said series, the war seems to start with # 5. That's really all that's relevant & out so far from what ive seen, and those few books're what got me hyped.

• 2 years later...

honestly...that doesn't even look good.

i recall defending JRJR in the past with you on his classic DD: Man without Fear and his run on Amazing Spider-Man; around the clone saga, he nailed drawing mopy spidey in the rain. even his first year or so with JMS' relaunch was great, maybe it just worked 'cause spidey is a good size (not too skinny, not to bulky) and you're encouraged to play loose with the physics...but then by Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D., he was drawing :wolvy: with an elongated torso jumping through the air like a goddamn housecat. some of his panels these days are hard for me look at, especially the "fat broken nose/busted eye" thing he does for uh, punisher, wolvy, like err'body that i feel ive seen a thousand times.

Bends is finally getting (im guessing) his Classic Avengers book, wish they'dve paired him with Copiel, Lenil Yu, hell Deodato or someone else here. I guess im grateful its not Greg Land at least.

PS i guess they're gonna do a teaser every day? next Avenger's been announced. i was normally indifferent to Jessica, but bendis' current book is making me a fan.

1265131043.jpg

ps Jay, i think i asked, but...thoughts on this spidey cover? solid work for your boy here.

JRjr%201.jpg

Yeah true, but maybe the Hawkeye outfit with the Ronin color scheme? Or shit, even just the ronin outfit without the mask like he's been wearing it for a while. Clint's been pretty awesome of late, he's kind of been Bullseye's foil and I like that since Hawkeye never really had a purpose before.

If Beast is an Avenger so too has to be Wonderman. They're the non-lame Marvel version of Blue Beetle & Booster Gold and I miss them.

And Baytor- you being the foremost apologist for Vol 1 of Thunderbolts doesn't see Clint as ever having a purpose? Even when Niciensza(sp) pretty much just had him running the team to fuck with Cap he was about the only readable part of that book. I hate to sound like a hater because Clint's always been my favourite Avenger, but I still haven't nor will I ever buy this return via House of M. He'll turn out to be a Skrull and/or Terminus at some point, mark my words.

a ronin/hawkeye costume mesh could be something.

joel: - you never know, marvel editors could pull a DC and drop the ball again here. i cant rule anything out just yet.

jay - since 2T's not around and i wont get jumped for saying this: Wonder Man is a symbol of what's wrong with the classic avengers. he's boring as hell. i wish he'dve died with janet.

What the fuck have you read, man? I don't quite know how to break this to you, but West Coast Avengers is by no means 'Classic'. The only problem with Simon Williams is his convoluted origin gave hack writers lisense to further complicate matters and fuck with him something fierce. He actually has a pretty cool origin, and did you ever read any of the Beast/Wonderman team ups? Shit was great for what it was.

in all honesty, i totally never read much West Coast, and absolutely no Beast/Wonder-Man team-ups. if anything good went on there, you're gonna have to fill me in.

Simon always struck me as a shit character. yeah, his origin is lamer than his sunglasses/car-coat length jacket thing look, and even that was a step up from the original giant W thing. Modern take on him has him asking his agent before he fights anybody, and i expect he signed up with your cursed registration because the uniforms were so kitsch or something. The Vision seems more interesting, that should tell you something.

2T thought he was better than arsetacos for some reason, too. i'm down to hear why.

And Baytor- you being the foremost apologist for Vol 1 of Thunderbolts doesn't see Clint as ever having a purpose? Even when Niciensza(sp) pretty much just had him running the team to fuck with Cap he was about the only readable part of that book. I hate to sound like a hater because Clint's always been my favourite Avenger, but I still haven't nor will I ever buy this return via House of M. He'll turn out to be a Skrull and/or Terminus at some point, mark my words.

Woah, woah, now don't go putting words in my mouth. I defended the Zemo team that popped up in Volume 3 (after that bizarre diversionary "Thunderbolts in name only" Volume 2) Volume 1 was average bad 90s writing (the fact that it branched off from Onslaught is proof of that.)

Also I was referring to Hawkeye's role as an Avenger. I mean, shit, the JLA find more uses for Green Arrow then the Avengers did for Hawkeye (I daresay that they found more use for Aquaman) and now I've seen how fucking amazing Clint Barton is and I don't want him to go back to the Black Lightning/Apache Chief position on the team.

That pretty much has to be Moon Knight, between the hood, the cape, and just the stature there's no other Marvel hero I could possibly think of that fits that silhouette unless Taskmaster is continuing his Avenger's service (I get the impression that he wont be, since he's kind of on Osbourne's team and is probably fixing to have his face stomped in at an immediate date) Those two are the only ones I can think of. But maybe the Secret Avengers will be the Avengers' version of the new X-Force, only not as poorly written.

x-force started off good/fun, i swear. i dont even know where it fell off, but i think it was after messiah war.

yeah, looking at the sillhouette and tagline again...baytor's right, smart money is indeed on Moon Knight, not sure how they're gonna use him but if its Bendis, ill check it out.

agreed on loving Hawkeye now, i hope he's the :yup: of the team or something. he's already starting that on New Avengers anyway with his whole "let's just go kill him. now" and all.

i forget if we have a thread - which Thunderbolts pre-Ellis was good, now? i heard a lot about Zemo's team but yeah, i seem to recall passing it up for similar reasons.

• 4 weeks later...