Hondo's Bar

Bob Dylan Vs Johnny Cash

Reverend Jax

Who do you like better?  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love how everyone says the EXACT same thing.

Don't get me wrong, I like "B" alot, but this one is no contest, "A" all the way. I grew up on "A." Have you ever heard "Song by A"? "B" doesn't have any songs that good! Not to take anything away from "B", but "A" is a god!

Bah. Dylan has his Niche cut out but I've never taken to him as an Artist or a personality. Far as I can tell Dylan Vs Cash is just the second tier of the Beatles Vs Elvis arguement.

As I said above, I grew up with Johnny Cash, being a non-father having guy Boy Named Sue's my Cats & Cradles(y'all can stow that & Father & Son along with the wedding Cliche album. Boy Named Sue's the best fucking song ever). And when I hit thirteen I lost my roots in alla flannel & grunge, I found my way back is what matters. Having said that though, I speak only what Hollywood & MTV tell me, so I'll check out this Dlyan Doco & who knows what'll happen. :arty:

Skeet: ignore jax and the cash-haters. Youre maing the right decision here.

Dont get me wrong, Dylan's done some amazing shit, switched his style up more than once and made really great music (when you can understand it), no doubt, but its like Hicks says: first impression, and youre right, walk on by.

• 6 months later...

Hmmm.

DAVID BOWIE!!!

haha.

Dylan.

Cash is great, but lyrical depth and kicking ass should go hand in hand.

Cash-kicks ass, has some good songs, but overall is more of a crowd pleaser.

Dylan-More people have been touched by his music than Cash. Covered more, and you can actually find more of his lyrics in other people's songs than anyone else, as well as subtle hints. Dylan's reach has even influnced the man in Black himself, not only being close friends but Cash himself has bowed down to the lyrical genuis of Dylan.

i can't vote though. It stands against everything I've learned about the two.

now shall will pit Joan Biaz against Joni Mitchell??

Joni Mitchell, but that's hardly a fair fight. It's like Grace Slick Vs Janis Joplin. Why would you put Grace in a fight she can't win? Now Billie Holiday Vs Ella Fritzgerald, that's a fight I can get behind. Stones Vs Zep, Doors Vs Floyd, Marvin Gaye Vs Stevie Wonder, Temptations Vs The Jackson 5, these are all polls that merit discussion. I think my "Whose your favorite Beatle?" poll got lost in the Great Crash.

I've just popped in a Dylan live album (it's a burn so I have no title) and falling in love with it's all over Now, Baby Blue again.

You must leave now, take what you need, you think will last.

But whatever you wish to keep, you better grab it fast.

Yonder stands your orphan with his gun,

Crying like a fire in the sun.

Look out the saints are comin' through

And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense.

Take what you have gathered from coincidence.

The empty-handed painter from your streets

Is drawing crazy patterns on your sheets.

This sky, too, is folding under you

All your seasick sailors, they are rowing home.

All your reindeer armies, are all going home.

The lover who just walked out your door

Has taken all his blankets from the floor.

The carpet, too, is moving under you

Leave your stepping stones behind, something calls for you.

Forget the dead you've left, they will not follow you.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore.

Strike another match, go start anew

no one had a way with words the way Dylan. no one will ever again. Even his lesser songs are beutifull in their own right.

MUST FIGHT URGE TO VOTE FOR DYLAN....

Actually my sig line is from Diamonds and Rust by Joan, it's rumored the song is about Dylan.

Hmmm.

DAVID BOWIE!!!

haha.

Dylan.

Cash is great, but lyrical depth and kicking ass should go hand in hand.

Cash-kicks ass, has some good songs, but overall is more of a crowd pleaser.

Dylan-More people have been touched by his music than Cash. Covered more, and you can actually find more of his lyrics in other people's songs than anyone else, as well as subtle hints. Dylan's reach has even influnced the man in Black himself, not only being close friends but Cash himself has bowed down to the lyrical genuis of Dylan.

i can't vote though. It stands against everything I've learned about the two.

now shall will pit Joan Biaz against Joni Mitchell??

Dylan's songs are even more touching when you have the lyric sheet in front of you so you know what's being said.

that shot taken, youre all :ohface:

Archived