Hondo's Bar

The World Cup. Who will win?

Jumbie

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Portugal Out, thats a major shock, nearly all the big teams are out with the exception of Brazil & Italy, who really have to be favourites to win it now.

But this world cup has taught us that there is no certainties in football.

Ireland will play well, and will indeed be lucky to get past the Spanish, but if we play anything like we did against Holland & Portugal in the qualifiers, and how we played against Germany i feel that we may upset some people.

If we get through we would be playing the winner of Italys game! So things just get tougher.

Oh an Germany a dull, efficient one-nil win over Paraguay from our Aryan brethren!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh btw IMO i think England will be lucky to get past the Danes!!

3-0

Three Fucking Nil

THREE NIL

3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0 3-0

Lucky My arse!!!

BRING ON BRAZIL!!!!!!!!

Engerlund, Engerlund...

I'm watching Sweden vs Senegal right now. I'm backing Senegal to win.

Hey, is the World cup theme song on CD or avaiable anywhere? It's cool music, I'd like to have it.

Goddamn!!!!! Sweden just scored. shit.

Well all i can say is well done lads!! You did us proud! You played Spain off the park, and if there was better finishing we'd be on our way to the last 8!!

Out of 3 World Cups Ireland have reached the last 16 each time, thats a pretty good record!!

Jack as for your insane "humiliating" result theory thats just a load of bollacks!! There is an insane amount of pressure on those men (yes thats what they are, not machines who are perfect) stepping up to take a penalty with over 1 billion people watching you!! Fair enough the standard of our penalties was shit, we should've beaten them in regulation time, Spain we always playing for penos in the Extra Time

Spains two misses were wide, Irelands misses, two were saved, and one off the crossbar!!

Although its against my cultural upbringing, but yeah i'm hoping England do well, although, i also hope they don't!!

Well thats the end of our world cup, ah well only another four years then its in Krautland!! Oh wasn't that meant to be in England? Oh thats right the Germans performed "favours" for FIFA officials to get it there!!

*****Round of Applause for the Lads********

Jack as for your insane "humiliating" result theory thats just a load of bollacks!! There is an insane amount of pressure on those men (yes thats what they are, not machines who are perfect) stepping up to take a penalty with over 1 billion people watching you!! Fair enough the standard of our penalties was shit, we should've beaten them in regulation time, Spain we always playing for penos in the Extra Time

Spains two misses were wide, Irelands misses, two were saved, and one off the crossbar!!

"An insane amount of pressure" is the reason school children should choke when it all comes down to one kick. Professionals shouldn't. The game inself (first two halves and the two overtime halves) was a spectacular match. But wide misses and hitting the post? It's their job not to crack under pressure, that why they get pay, to play soccer at the highest caliber against the best players the world has to offer and NOT choke. They are not machines, but they were asked to play a game and represent their nation. They shouldn't have choked like that. Other than that, the great was completely up to par with and beyond World Cup standards. My hat is off to both teams.

Dear JMT,

Re: Penalty shootout comments

SHUT THE FUCK UP!

Noone gave Ireland a chance against Holland and Portugal, both European Championship semi-finalists (and both unlucky to not have gotten to the final), in the qualifiers.

But we got thru the group unbeaten...

Noone gave Ireland a chance against Cameroon and Germany, both fancied as winners of the World Cup, both expected to steamroll us in the group stages.

But we got thru the group unbeaten...

And noone gave us any chance of getting past Spain, they'd their 3 wins in a row, poor Ireland are fucked now!

But we took them to extra time (overtime? wtf?) and we pushed them all the fucking way, unlucky not to win, still didn't lose!

But then, since we've dissappointed you so, I think Ireland should withdraw from FIFA and UEFA just so you need never see such a poor performance again. The men who knocked out Holland and Cameroon along the way, of course deserve no respect. They've humiliated themselves at an international sporting event, hundreds of millions will now know how shit they are. Because they have proved conclusively that they deserve no pay as sportsmen from now on, they have disgraced the game itself.

I don't care if you didn't like the shootout Jack, I don't care if you even care. I saw 14 men play their hearts out and do their country proud. Of course the missed penalties dissappointed me, I was gutted. But there were a great many things to make me proud. Our defence standing strong against one of the best attacking sides in the world. Shay Given proving why he's one of the worlds top keepers. Damien Duff taking the piss of Spaniards with his control skills. Niall Quinn and Steve Staunton giving their all one last time for their country. Ireland working as a team and DOMINATING Spain for most the match!

I've actually said this on the Preacher board before I came here but it still holds true, I said for the first time in ages I was proud to be Irish. A joke by MLB's evil twin about Irish pride later and here was my response:

Wow, unspoiled countryside, I don't give a fuck!

A friendly people, big fuckin' deal!

Penalty goal, fuckin' dancer!

We've got culture coming out of our arses (how eloquent was that?), who in the hell cares, Robbie Keane kicking a ball into a net from ridiculously close range = euphoria!

I don't take any pride, let alone national pride lightly, but i'm happy, fuckin' happy!

BOYS....DONE....GOOD!!!

That is what I have to say, Jack, you really have no understanding of football to have made those comments. Your insult of Ireland has greatly offended me, to say the players that did our entire nation proud were not good enough....

WHAT MORE COULD THEY GIVE! WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT FROM THEM! YOU FUCKING PLAY 2 HOURS OF INTENSE FOOTBALL AND THEN TRY TO KICK A BALL STRAIGHT! PROFESSIONAL OR NOT, THOSE MEN WERE IN PAIN AND ONLY THEIR LOVE FOR THEIR COUNTRIES, YEAH SPAIN TOO, KEPT THEM STANDING AND FIGHTING!

They gave their hearts and you gave disdain.

So quick are you all do look at what I said about the shoot out that you must blow it out of proportion and make me look like I've pissed in Ireland's face. Spain was just as bad, if not worse. I was disappointed that I saw an incredible game with incredible players playing with all their heart come down to a climactic end with a shootout, and it was tainted with many poor sub-World Cup Standard shots. That's all. Ireland was a great team. I'm sorry they didn't go agains the teams you would have liked. I was rooting for them, adn if you read what I said, you would have seen I enjoy the games. If you ask me, Ireland was the better of the two teams, but in the end, Spain had the little bit of luck they need to put them over the top in the end. Why are you looking to take offense at comments that aren't trying to insult you?

Bet it's hurting to be Irish just about now....was a fierce game, but it ending humiliatingly!
The ending was humiliating....That was humiliating for both sides.
I thought it was humiliating, and I was watching it with a crowd of people that all thought it was humilating.

I never look to take offense but these comments are offensive to me.

There is intense pressure on the players, that shootout is the culmination of 18 months' preparation (qualifying, etc) and most the players on the pitch have played at World Cup standard for two hours by that stage, they're tired and sore.

Your lack of respect for them saddens me.

Well, if there was one thing that would continue this years theme of unpredictable outcomes it would be the US willing it all. Hehe, if the US won, they would be the only team to not come back home as deified national heroes. I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm just saying I don't think it will, just like I didn't think there was a chance that France and Argentina wouldn't make the elimination rounds.

Jack admit it whether you didn't mean to insult us :irish: or not, you did! We played our hearts out we should've got a result but its the end. We'll be back better than ever for Euro 2004!

btw Jack have you ever played soccer in your life or do you spend all day in front of your pc posting in here!? Do you have ricketts??

Go Brazil! My favs to win, i hope italy get knocked out to South Korea.

USA good team, shouldn't be estimated.

May i add one thing, although Ireland as a nation is hurting from its "Defeat" they were unbeaten in the World Cup just on Penalties!! They drew 3 won 1! Although we are out, we can take great pride in our Lads, they did their nation proud! I salute the lads, they will be around for a long time yet! Apart from Staunton (Who replaced Roy Keane magnificently as Captain) Quinny (Who made a difference) who are retired now.

:D this one is on me lads!!

Jack admit it whether you didn't mean to insult us :irish: or not, you did! We played our hearts out we should've got a result but its the end. We'll be back better than ever for Euro 2004!

Fair enough. I insulted the Irish community and I'm sorry. You have to understnad, however, that as an American, I don't take soccer (football) nearly as seriously as you. We don't take any sports as serious as you take soccer (football). I, having lived in the Philadelphia area for several years, am an Eagles (that's American Football) fan. I've met Cowboys (bitter rivals of the Eagles) fans, and we've openly insulted the way the other team plays. It's no big deal, cause football (American Football) is just a game to most of us. Soccer (Football) is far more than that to everyone. You take these things personally, and I need to remember that.

btw Jack have you ever played soccer in your life or do you spend all day in front of your pc posting in here!? Do you have ricketts??[\quote]

Yes I've played soccer. I played it as a child in elementay school, middle school, and high school. It's not a religion, but I am familar with it. What are ricketts?

Go Brazil! My favs to win, i hope italy get knocked out to South Korea.

I'm a big fan of Brazil. Was actually living in the country four years ago when they made it to the finals.

USA good team, shouldn't be estimated.

Makes it all the more fun to watch!

May i add one thing, although Ireland as a nation is hurting from its "Defeat" they were unbeaten in the World Cup just on Penalties!! They drew 3 won 1! Although we are out, we can take great pride in our Lads, they did their nation proud! I salute the lads, they will be around for a long time yet! Apart from Staunton (Who replaced Roy Keane magnificently as Captain) Quinny (Who made a difference) who are retired now.

Indeed. Sorry my comments made you think I felt otherwise. Cheers to them.

Fair play to you JMT for acknowledging your fault!!

Well i know soccer(football) is no where near as big in the US as Football (Gridiron), Baseball, Basketball and other american sports, but in Europe its like a religion, a lot of people got Loans of €10,000 just to go to the finals to cheer on their country!!

Ricketts, you know bow legs, lack of vitamin d, lack of sunlight, as you live a clandestine life in front of your computer!! only jokin! :D