Hondo's Bar

The World Cup. Who will win?

Jumbie

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

KoS you laughed, but 2 of my picks are in the quarter finals not bad!!

I accept your "apology" jack!!!

McCarthy amazed at incredible turnout  

June 18, 2002  

(22:24) Mick McCarthy has paid tribute to the “incredible” turnout of over 100,000 supporters at the Phoenix Park in Dublin for the homecoming concert of Ireland's World Cup Squad.

The Republic of Ireland manager said: “We were told to expect a reception, but, honestly, we never expected anything like this”.

“It makes you feel very humble, and also proud to be Irish,” he added.

The crowd also enjoyed performances from Westlife, Six, Bellefire, Aprés Match, Mundy, Kila and Picturehouse.

Mick McCarthy and the players touched down in Dublin Airport just before 5pm after a twelve-hour flight from Seoul

crowdshot.jpg

Well Done Lads!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to give preference to countries I've visited before, just because it's as good a reason as any. So I've been all over Brazil and England, so I've be happy who ever wins. I'll probably watch the game always rooting for whoevers behind. As far the the yanks and the krauts, well, I think we all know who's getting my support there.

Wednesday June 19, 2002

>

The Guardian

Immediately after scoring a goal against Saudi Arabia, those giants of world football, Robbie Keane raced across the pitch and, directly in front of the pitch-side camera, performed a mime of an archer firing an arrow. He crouched down, drew one hand back and then simulated letting go of the bowstring and went kerpppowwww! I don't know what you thought about that, if you saw it. I wanted to climb inside the television and smack him about the head. Or maybe respond with a real arrow. It was hugely irritating, the sort of smug, dumb, self-aggrandising thing you might expect one of the Big Brother cretins to perform, or possibly Lulu. It made me spit. Partly, I suppose, this is because I was cheering for the Saudis, out of a respect for their criminal justice system.  Given a choice between two right-of-centre agrarian theocracies, I'll go with the more rigorous one, if that's OK. But I am well aware that I was almost entirely alone in not rooting for the Irish. Everybody in the world adores them, it would seem - including the referee in their last game, who awarded them a total of seven penalties (from which they managed to score three times) and disallowed a whole bunch of Spanish goals. Perhaps he'd been mugged last year on holiday in Marcella or something. But more likely he was just in thrall to the Irish like everybody else. But who will the world cheer for now that the lovable leprechauns have been returned to their misty hills and treacherous bogs? Perhaps, like my friend and colleague John Humphries, they will occupy themselves by cheering for whomever England are playing, even if it's an al-Qaida Select XI, or maybe Germany. I hope so. England's victories get more and more enjoyable as the whining about "English triumphalism" grows within Great Britain.

========================================================================

The reply to what the journalist in the Guardian Newspaper said about the Irish

With regard to your comments on Robbie Keane's celebration & numerous little digs at Irish-ness in general, I fell you need a little reminding of some facts that British people tend to forget for some strange reason. Firstly the Robbie Keane thing. Scoring a goal in the world cup is something a lot of us dream of, for Robbie Keane it must have been a dream for him too. I can understand his celebration, it was a sort of follow on from the goal against Germany when he drew two guns & start firing away only this time it's a different weapon. How this annoys you is confusing. What's the story with Beckham scoring & opening out his arms as if he's an aeroplane about to take off?? Maybe he's trying to tell us he's from cloud cuckoo land or something; he'd be right. Saudi Arabia may not be any great sheiks "get it?" But what do you call Greece when you struggled to beat them & to be fair you mention the referee giving us a lot of dodgy decisions. If it weren't for a terrible decision to give you a free kick in the last minute against Greece you wouldn't have qualified. Short memories. I have to agree with you in regard to the strange phenomenon that most people throughout the world seem to take to Irish people & admire a whole host of different things about us. Now let's ask our selves why this is? Is it anything to do with our culture of Music, Dance & the ability to have a decent conversation with a complete stranger? Is it anything to do with the fact that after about seven pints we tend to be a little happier & start singing? Is it anything to do with the age-old reputation of us been a friendly race? Is it anything to do with the fact that where-ever Irish people turned up in the world, we have blended in and had a lot to offer? For example in America it's generally known that we built the entire infrastructure form the ground up. The influence of the Irish in Argentina, Australia, Britain & Canada for example is shocking. The fact that your people & country are hated, & I don't mean this to be offensive but this is fact. This hatred is simply because all of the above I have mentioned in favour of my people is exactly the same reasons as to why your not liked, but in reverse. I mean your people are so diverse due to the colonization of vast amounts of lands & cultures that you lack your own cultural identity. The fact that after seven pints, there is a tendency to smash some bodies face in. The Fact that you have an age-old reputation that you are an oppressive race that took rather than contribute to any other nation in the past. So you wonder why we support anybody but England? Not Wales or Scotland, only England.

We're not perfect by any means and were not all friendly, but I can tell you that the old laugh about the leprechauns and misty hills and the bogs are starting to disappear. For a country like Ireland with a population of about four million & our own identity, add the fact that our people are loved everywhere & that our economy is the fastest growing in Europe, is it any surprise why were admired? Go on, have a dig at us ? sure we've taken a lot worse than that from you lot before & came out stronger for it. At this stage it's like water off a Duck's back. The worst bit about it is that it's eating you up in side & there's nothing you lot can do about it anymore!!! Mind yourself & answer me this simple question. You own the English language, but why do the London folk pronounce such words like THINK as FINK? Where on Earth did you get the F? Like all things that originate from England, English people are crap at them.

Is mise le meas "Irish"

John McGuinness

ps: in your bit below about the referee been mugged in Marbella, well what's the chances that an English lout might have done it?

Who'da thunk it, blatant racism in a respected English Newspaper?!

Guest Yahve

here here.   It was a very entertaining world cup, a lot of fresh blood reaching the final divisions.  Sad to see the last 2 remaining ancients battle it out for the championship.  I did expect Germany to put on a bit of a better show, I didn't see any german matches other than the final but as far as i remember, they have great midfield organization skills that i didnt see in the final.   Hell Brazil came up with a good defense out of nowhere.  I was very impressed by that.  Probably due to psychological pressure or of the sort.  It's all part of the game.

Moito biem moito biem. !!

*tries to knee the soccer ball one more time.... come on 16...*