Hondo's Bar

Nintendo DS & Sony PSP

Jables

oh my god, were finally at a point where im jealous of the handheld's potential lineups again.

i need to find emlulators, or at least adapters to play these things. Here's a short, ongoing list of portable games i must play in the future:

Mother 3

Metal Gear Solid something something - its Big Boss, after MGS 3! how awesome is that?!

Capcom Classic Collection extended (it has strider!)

there's more im not thinking of. This free subscription i have to EGM (thanks again Bishop) has me drooling over some shit i didnt even know was comin out.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've had a PSP since Christmas, and Jess got me a DS for graduation last month. I have to say, I don't know why, but the DS has held my attention more in the past month and a half than the PSP ever did.

Ds has the games worth playing. Just about every game on the PSP is nothing more then a port of a PS2 game.

You believe I STILL don't have a PSP? And I got rid've my DS 'cause there were no good games. Looking at getting the DS lite tho, what with the release of new Pokemon games...

Nonononononono... Skeet my boy...

Dude... Pokemon? What are you 7?... :mumble:

your a fucking fag.

Pokemon... fucking chilkd

DS will probably never have one as it uses touch screen functionality and two screens, the PSP, well there have been rumors for a while, but nothing yet.

BTW just got Legend of Heroes 2 for the PSP, old school as hell, but no one does old school better than falcom.

• 4 months later...

Man, everything i read right now has the DS crapping all over the PSP.

Bishop's pushing it hard, and Junker followed today...id love to check out Trauma Center, new Mario and a few others, and Junker was exaplaining about getting a flash card that fits like every DS game on it, holy shit did that excite my bootleggin' ways.

itll have ot wait till i have $ but...how much do they retail for rihgt now? any shot at gettin an NES like one, like the GBA did? Gamefly says if i get 5 of you's to subscribe under my refferrals for one month, i get one free, but i dont know how likely that is.

Fuck the PSP. Just about every PSP game is just a port of an old game from the PS2 you've played.

The DS on the other hand has a whole mess of new games coming out often.

Man, everything i read right now has the DS crapping all over the PSP.

For every 1 PSP sold the DS sells 10 units. Just about every PSP game is just a port of an old game from the PS2 you've played.

how much do they retail for rihgt now?

bout $120-130 but worth it.

any shot at gettin an NES like one, like the GBA did?

Knowing Nintendo it'll happen at some point but not right now.

I've a PSP and there are some good games on it,

Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins, Splinter Cell Essentials, Wipeout (these are the ones i have played, and / or own)

But i agree a lot of the games are just ports from PS2, though the retro games, such as Ultimate GnG and Gradius Collection are great.

Might get a DS Lite next yr to see what the fuss is, i'd get it just for the mario games... can't you play the DS games on the Wii?

• 1 month later...

So, Bishop & Newt showed me i need a DS in my life, and here's how my fellow hondonians can help make that dream come true.

How does it work?

It`s simple! Go to friends.gamefly.com and invite everyone you know to get in on this offer. Don`t ignore the non-gamers – some of them have gamer friends who will want to know. You`ll also get a unique invite code you can send to friends, put in your e-mail and message board sigs, post on your MySpace page, etc. If you`re not already a GameFly member, you`ll need to sign up and become a paying member yourself. Once you and 5 of your friends have been paying GameFly members for at least a month, you get your reward.

you gotta join through this link for me to get credit, but yeah, its $15/month for the cheapest plan. Ive used em for like 6 months now and theyre awesome if you play a lotta games, its basically netflix for gamers. i really dont wanna put it in my sig/myspace necessarily, but 5 people at $15/month for a good service aint bad. Anyway, lemme know if anyone's down to try it out for a month.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

..why change your post 4 days later to call skeet a fag...?

Anyway, i was debating tryin to get the free DS offa gamefly, but i think ill hold out, a Sky Pirate edition sounds awesome.

ff12ds.jpg

My question is: anyone know if ill have prolbmes playing an imported DS? I plan on having most of the games hacked/on an SDRAM or whatever card anyway, just wondering if anyoen knew about compatbility.

Also, im curious bout what little ive seen on Elite Beat Agents.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my DS Lite for a while now, and while I'm not glued to it, I do love picking it up now and again. Highlights for me are Mario Kart (effortless wireless racing on Mario Kart is a little slice of heaven), Phoenix Wright, New Super Mario Bros, 42 All-Time Classics and Yoshi's Island 2.

Also meant i gave my little sister my white brick original GameBoy, which she loves. Everyone's happy.

• 4 months later...

so, the PSP slim premierd at E3, and...well, nothing much new.

-smaller, but not by much; apparently, its the battery wegiht that changed the most.

-video out, so UMD movies can work kinda like DVDs now too, i guess.

-someone talked about a D-pad improvement, ill have to have hands-on to know that.

-i think Tretton said they doubled the RAM size, but cant say anything on future updates increasing load times.

so yeah, i gotta say, with some games like MGS Portable Ops 2, God of War: Chains of Olympus, new PaRappa, Castlevania etc on their way, its not a bad lineup, and if i end up getting one down the road, i guess this'll be the one, but unless you really wanted a Star Wars version or something, i dont see much change.

That said, here's a side by side comparison of the current PSP and the new slim edition.

yeah, ive really started to think i might get one of the new PSP's, cause:

-MGS: Portable Ops + with the MGS4 people might be too much for my little fanboy heart to take. Throw in Silent Hill Origins, Katamari, Castlevania, LocoRoco, mebbe God of War and a few others, and im interested.

-the TV out thing really solves my problem of not using these things at home, i like that a lot.

-the homebrew thing is crazy awesome; id have to find PSX ROMs but im sure its doable. Still, i didnt know theyre emulating PSX, N64 and everything in between....last week, i saw a PSM aricle about running SCUMM VM off the PSP. im quite literally dying to play those games on some form of console, so that was really cool.

Still debating this decision, but again, titles like Patapon look like something i want in on. If they can manage to intergrate it with PS3 use better than Gamecube did the GBA, i might be sold.

yeah, i played bishopcruz's PSP with Metal Gear: Portable Ops. youre right, its not ideal, took some getting used to.

i read the d-pad's improved, but i think a number of people were hoping for better/dual analogs, ive no idea how katamari is played.

ill be honest, ive never been overly pleased with portable gaming controls, im just hoping the TV out thing keeps me happy. chirst knows if i could just plug my ps3 controller in, i would.

..why change your post 4 days later to call skeet a fag...?

My question is: anyone know if ill have prolbmes playing an imported DS? I plan on having most of the games hacked/on an SDRAM or whatever card anyway, just wondering if anyoen knew about compatbility.

Also, im curious bout what little ive seen on Elite Beat Agents.

Don't know if you already got your answer, but you shouldn't have any problem importing one. There's no region coding on the games, and you can set the menus in the japanese system to english. Also, if it's japanese the charger will work here with no problem. Just make sure you aren't importing it from China or some other country, cause it that case you might need a converter.

I can honestly say that the DS is my favorite system right now. I play it more than all my other systems combined. There are a ton of great games on it, including some hard to find gems like Hotel Dusk. (I'm working on that one now, it's like a hard boiled film noir mystery point and click adventure) And the convienece and easy of the wireless multiplay can't be beat. Hell, you can play between 4 and 8 people in mario kart on ONE game pak (albiet at SOME reduced features).

P.S. - Elite Beat Agents is a RIOT! OH! And don't get me started about the prospect of wirelessly using the DS as a controller for Wii games.

Archived