Hondo's Bar

Samurai Champloo

The NZA

• 9 years later...

I must be watching a different anime from y'all cause I'm 6 eps into this and I think I hate it. Ok, maybe not hate it, but, Cowboy Bebop THIS IS NOT.

Maybe I shouldn't have started this so close to finishing Bebop, but I couldn't resist. I needed more Bebop in my life and thought this was gonna satisfy me. Sure, the music is cool and the art/animation is pretty, but the characters are some of the most annoying and deplorable in anime. I just don't like anything they do. They piss me off really.

I'm sorry if I'm hating on, clearly, such a beloved anime, but I'm not impressed. I'm gonna stick with it cause I don't think I've ever quit on an anime, but this better pick up or I'll be truly disappointed.

I don't think anything can sour my Cowboy Bebop experience, but I'm really afraid this actually might by the time it's all said and done.

• Downvote 1

Yeah, Champloo is not like Bebop, from what I recall, much at all. So I could see why you would be disappointed in the series from that standpoint, Panch. I liked Bebop okay enough, but I fell in love with Champloo. And honestly, most of that was probably because of the soundtrack. Nujabes, Fat Jon, etc. just really took a hold of me and haven't let go over a decade later. I still put those Champloo soundtracks on as my go to chill out music.

But I did really like the core trio of Fuu, Jin, and Mugen. Fuu could be a bit annoying at times, and I other than one throw away episode that had to do with baseball, I recall it being a tight series. It's been years since I've seen it though, so I could be letting nostalgia gloss my memory a bit though. I picked the series up on blu ray for like $10 a few years back. I should really crack that thing open and revisit this show...

Don't get me wrong, I think the music is great and right up my alley, but I'm finding it hard to like the characters and take the story serious. I mean, Blade of the Immortal is basically the same story (minus a guy) and it's one of my favorite manga ever (why didn't they throw a hip-hop soundtrack ON THAT?).

It's not the music that's the problem here.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

Also you're only 6 eps into it. You don't get the meat of their backstories til later. That said, you should have been sold by now. I'm not saying drop it, but I doubt you'll like it much more than you are now as much as it pains me to say... hopefully you will.

imnrKPo.gif

it's not Bebop or Blade, so don't expect those things...but if it's not clicking, don't force it. you've sat on it for like a decade, so revisit it another time!

i bailed after the first ep of Berserk back in its time, and tried again in '05 & adored it.

yeah, i'm bailing for the time, too. it's a top 10 anime for me (i put it over Bebop, and i loved that one) because like a lot of stuff it's mostly episodic and takes its time meandering before getting back to the plot stuff, and i loved my time with all 3. so i'm here like

the characters are some of the most annoying and deplorable in anime. I just don't like anything they do.

Story is garbage tho.

Ein is a vastly better character than the Champloo trio combined.

giphy.gif

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, yeah, the 15th episode is where the show took a more positive turn for me. That said, I'm still not putting this above Bebop. Really, by the end, it was just average for me. Sure, it ended with some pretty badass battles, but it all felt so contrived (even by anime standards).

Anyways, it was fine. Nice animation. Cool music. But y'all can have this one.