Hondo's Bar

Playstation 3

The NZA

Now this is funny :D

Bill Gates said he's not worry about the PS3 cause by the time the system hits stores halo 3 will hit about the same time and that people would rather buy the game over the PS3. I have no idea what he's on, but it must be some strong shit.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw man, i havnet read IGN since they went pay a few years ago!

Actually, since TheGIA and Gameforms both went to shit, the only game sites i even check here & there are Tokyopia and Penny-Arcade.  Anything else good out there? Crunkgames mebbe?

GameSpot has worked fine for me. I've always agreed with their game reviews and they're good at keeping up with the news (during E3 they literally updated every 10 minutes or so). Still, news and reviews are all I really look at, I don't know if it's good for much else.

And yeah, newtype, after Halo 2, Gates has to be on some major drugs to think people are going to want to buy Halo 3 before the PS3.

(here's to internet rumor mills...)

Apple announced today it's top-secret answer to the age-old competition between Sony, Micro$oft, and Nintendo: the iStation.

istation.jpg

Compatible with everything. Equipped with a 2.0GHz Apple PowerMAC G5 processor and the latest ATI graphics hardware means zero load time, and professional-grade state-of-the-art graphics rendering in perfect 16:9 widescreen format. Dolby Digital surround sound for the ultimate theater experience. 160GB hard drive with ability to save ENTIRE GAMES from the disc drive to the hard disk for on-the-fly gameplay plus MP3/CD/DVD playback. Built-in Airport Extreme wireless card and $.99 downloadable game upgrades from the iTunes Music Store.

All for the low price of $1,049.99 through 1-800-MY-APPLE or through www.apple.com.

Coming to stores this fall - Pre-order now!

The great thing about the new controller - and I gotta give the Sony guys credit for considering this - when you get frustrated with a game and throw it across the room, it comes back.

Hah...that was pretty funny.

RA - its all fun & games till apple is swarmed with calls from people who found that from google.... :2T:

Hah...that was pretty funny.

RA - its all fun & games till apple is swarmed with calls from people who found that from google.... :mumble:

Yeah, all twelve of them who're too stupid to realize what a horrid photoshop chop-job that is. :2T:

I actually had considered cutting down the image of the controller and putting the iPod Click-Wheel on it or something along those lines just to add to the satire, but I figured I'd quit while I was ahead.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Son of a bitch. :???:

Though PlayStation 3 mastermind Ken Kutaragi has gone on-record as saying that "the hard drive [is] mandatory for the PS3" and that developers should "develop games as though all PS3s have the hard drive installed," Sony has confirmed that it is not 100% certain that the PS3 will contain a hard drive when it launches.

UPDATE: A Sony representative tells GamePro that "it is our intention to have the HDD installed but we will look at territory conditions before launch."

In a worst-case scenario, this could mean that users would need to seperately purchase a hard drive after buying the PS3 in order to play games. Sony has said that the hard drive will top off at 60 gigabytes, but will be upgradeable.

In other news, another interesting piece of information is buried in Sony's PlayStation 3 November launch press release: "Users can also connect PS3 to high-speed broadband network through Gigabit Ethernet and comfortably enjoy a wide-range of rich and exciting content and services over the network" (emphasis ours).

This lends further weight to the idea that the PS3 will directly compete with Microsoft's Xbox Live with online gaming and matchmaking services, as well as the possibility of iTunes-like movie and music downloads.

More news to come -- stay tuned!

I wish they make up thier minds already. But.....

Worldwide PlayStation 3 Launch in 'Early' November 2006

Summary: Sony producing one million PS3s per month to meet demand

Full: Today Sony officially announced that the November PlayStation 3 launch date that was revealed yesterday will be a worldwide release.

Historically, Sony consoles launch in Japan, and then hit North American and European territories two to three months later. But today, Sony officially clarified that the November release date will hit all three major territories simultaneously, a first for the hardware publisher.

Sony says it has the ability to produce one million units per month and expects a "powerful product launch to spread the platform rapidly throughout the world, together with a strong and attractive lineup of PS3 game titles."

Microsoft came to regret its worldwide Xbox 360 launch strategy -- shortages still plague the Xbox 360 -- so Sony's plan is both ambitious and bold. But Sony asserts that they are set on manufacturing one million PS3s every month, which would give them some seven million PS3s by their November launch target.

HA.....TO BILL GATES I SAY EAT IT!!!!

Edited by newtype

couple thoughts:

1) shoulda seen Nov. date coming; they let MS take last year, but they want the holiday season this year, and they know itll pay off.

2) im guessing the premier PS3 comes with network adapter & HD, but im not betting on the economy class to have it...sony loves perirphrial $, how they loves it.

3) "1 million units per month"...we'll see how many get shipped, but im guessin theyre predicting guys like me and everyone else are gonna try to use thier system to get-rich-quick and theyre not gonna undership nearly as much this time. safe money's gonna be on the premier system to be the jackpot.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/23/region-f...ayer-confirmed/

Region-free PS3, free online multiplayer confirmed

Posted Mar 23rd 2006 2:00AM by Dan Choi

Filed under: Culture, Sony PlayStation 3, Sony PSP, Online, GDC, Business

During a Q&A session with media over lunch after yesterday's GDC keynote, Sony's Phil Harrison confirmed that PS3 software will be region free and that multiplayer gaming will also be free.

While we'd heard rumblings of the region-free set-up for games back in early November, we hadn't heard any official confirmation outside of Australia until just the other day. Importers (as well as online gamers) should be quite pleased with the development, though this move likely won't follow for Blu-ray movie discs. It's good to see the region-free status of PSP games spread to the PS3's.

If online multiplayer is included as part of Sony's free basic service (known internally as the "PlayStation Network Platform"), then what would constitute Sony's premium service besides the typical content downloads for games? Subscriptions for movie and/or music services, perhaps? And going back to the region-encoding news, it's heartening for our friends on the Continent to hear Phil's following statement: "It's possible for developers to put all the TV formats - PAL, NTSC, HDTV, and so on - on the disc." Can Sony bring the world together with games?

ffxiijapanesemagazinespot5dk.th.jpg

[Thanks, DarkFlash; image taken from Final Fantasy Odyssey]

Edited by Lycaon

• 5 weeks later...

We'll see how accurate those numbers end up being, several million units at lauch ain't gonna happen, especially considering how fucking nasty yields have been on the cell and other stuff. Its also, as microsoft learned a bitch and a half to do a worldwide launch of a system like this.

It's gonna be like just about every launch has been in the last several years, very short supply, and systems selling for livers on ebay.

especially considering how fucking nasty yields have been on the cell and other stuff..

You lost me at that part. also, what exacly makes the worldwide release date such a hard time?

very short supply, and systems selling for livers on ebay.

you sure? cause im lookin to borrow some heavy capital to pay rent with ps3's if the shipping #'s stay looking like that. I could use a sony moneytrain right now.

PS Im with MM, im quite surprised theyre even pitching that price for its release...i just dont know how much of the US market will go that high for a console.

As sure as I can be. Sony's not going to want PS3s sitting on the shelves over the holidays, else it will hurt them buzz wise. They are going to want these things being hailed as sold out on every news channel that will run the story.

I've been hearing that the yeilds on the cell and other things have not been particularly great, so there is a good chance that their numbers may be lower than sony is pitching now. In other words I'll believe the million units per moth when I see them.

As far as the price goes its hard to tell just how much it is going to be, analysts have set the manufacturing costs somewhere between 700-900 dollars and possible retail costs between $500-$800. Analysts are often wrong, but still it ain't gonna be cheap.

These predictions were made back in February, and to be fair, sony denied them. Then again, in the same breath they denied launching later than spring.

As far as the 1million PS3s a month until launch if I rememjber the articles I had read correctly it was 1million at launch and then 1 million each month thereafter, and they were talking worldwide numbers.

edit: THen again getting any sort of reliable news reporting when it comes to these things is damn near impossible. Forbes just reported that the PS3 would be $399, which came from a PSM article stating the same. Where did the PSM article get its info? From a statement by Ken Katuragi some 8 or more months ago stating a BARE MINIMUM of what the console might cost in yen , converting that number to US dollars, and cutting the price by 30 bucks.

Edited by bishopcruz

Alright, so i should still put some $ together, even if everyone else here is thinking of doing the same. I just gotta be first in line post E3 announcement then? Im not against taking partners here if anyone's down.

Youve kept up with this stuff more lately, george - the x-box 360, what was the price difference between barebones and the special edition, and what were the sales figures (relatively) on both? i was still under the understaqnding that mainstream consumers dont like paying $300-400+ for a console, im wondering if im wrong here

price on the 360 was 299 for the core and 399 for the full 360, the more expensive version has been selling a lot better than the core, and they are looking to move like 5.5 million by the end of the quarter. The more expensive one is still the one in the most demand because the core system absolutely blows as far as features are concerned.

I might be willing to go down on a PS3 but I have to see how much money I have, I know me and gunsmith have been talking about it for a while.

This gen will define how much mainstream will be willing to pay at launch for a while. $299 was considered the limit here, but the 360 has done well at 400 and the PS3 will probably see out even at 500. We'll see how it all pans out.

BTW chances are the Wii will also be in great demand over the holidays. So it may be another way to get some extra money.

Edit: Forgot, numbers were about 15% core and 85% 360.

Edited by bishopcruz

jesus....youre right, this is changing things. we'll see how it pans out, but i keep thinking the $500 mark, that's not as many parents as it is consumers our age roughly, isnt it?

im not kidding here; ive got an ebay seller account that by then will have 200+ posisitve feedbacks (100%) and a plan to pre-sell as many systmes as i can manage capital for, hopefully tossing in a game or two, mebbe controller/memory card and asking way, way more than i should - im even considering comping next-day shipping (inside US) after release date for an insane buy-it-now price.

Ill prolly end up doing much of the legwork cause im so familiar with the process, but im lookin for sponsors and just gotta figure out the details, so lemme know.

• 3 weeks later...
jesus....youre right, this is changing things. we'll see how it pans out, but i keep thinking the $500 mark, that's not as many parents as it is consumers our age roughly, isnt it?

im not kidding here; ive got an ebay seller account that by then will have 200+ posisitve feedbacks (100%) and a plan to pre-sell as many systmes as i can manage capital for, hopefully tossing in a game or two, mebbe controller/memory card and asking way, way more than i should - im even considering comping next-day shipping (inside US) after release date for an insane buy-it-now price.

Ill prolly end up doing much of the legwork cause im so familiar with the process, but im lookin for sponsors and just gotta figure out the details, so lemme know.

If you can find one other person I'll chip in. and this time pay me back you ass.

one more thing about the PS3.

To 360 fans at this point, it shouldn't matter at all. With HD-DVD an add-on for hi-def movie playback, it just means you'll be paying as much,if not more, as if you bought a PS3. Still wont be able to use it in the context of gaming.

If when next-gen gaming becomes more developed, may actually need the space hi-def discs can supply, then and only then will Sony have been judged as doing the right thing.

And think about this.

When the next grand theft auto comes out on the blu-ray how much bigger of a map could it be compared to san andreas? And how much more stuff could they stuff in it(abilities, cars, planes ect...)

I think it would be awsome to have a gta game the size of 3 san andreas sized maps. Or could they map the entire United States? Or Europe? Or other small countries? Just think about the potential.

Problem is PC games have been doing high def gaming for YEARS and the size hasn't changed much. We're nowhere NEAR needing Blu-ray for game storage, with game development time going through the roof it wouldn't make sense to use all of that space, hell Oblivion is fucking gigantic and it doesn't come close to filling a DVD, and Morrowind which had hundreds of hours of gameplay was under a gig.

GTA IV is coming to both 360 and PS3 on the same day and somehow I doubt that Rockstar is gnashing its teeth at the lack of Blu-ray on the 360.

It's too early for Blu-ray, I have an HDTV and I think DVD is perfectly ok.

When the next grand theft auto comes out on the blu-ray how much bigger of a map could it be compared to san andreas? And how much more stuff could they stuff in it(abilities, cars, planes ect...)

I think it would be awsome to have a gta game the size of 3 san andreas sized maps. Or could they map the entire United States? Or Europe? Or other small countries? Just think about the potential.

Well, test drive unlimited mapped all of hawaii, and I'm sure GTA IV will be big. Look I'm not saying that it's not great to have space to work with, but I also know that in general formats have lasted two generations before being retired for the next one up. This is not the case with what Sony wants to do with DVDs. You say that if I want to play HD-DVDs that my 360 will cost more than a PS3, well, that's speculation and at least I have the choice.

At the end of the day I am sure that PS3 will have some great games. That does not give Sony a pass on the absolute arrogance and idiocy of it's design and pricing. The only reason Sony is so dead set on having Blu-ray in the PS3 is in order to assure that it wins the next gen DVD format wars, which IMO are too soon in coming.

I'm sure in the PS3s lifetime we will have 2 and 3 disc games, and I'm also sure that it will be as a result of having insane amound of High def, pre rendered video.

Sony has great brand loyalty and recognition and that will pretty much guarantee that the PS3 will sell out of its initial shipments, the question is going to be, will it be priced to hit the casual gamer? Will next november when GTA 4 hits will johnny whitebread want to pick up a 360 for let's say $200 for a tard pack, or $400 for a PS3 tard pack, and that's assuming there is a price drop for the PS3 after its first year.

In previous generations Nintendo made the mistake that gamers would buy their systems on name alone counting on big franchises to keep them going, but they were intelligent enough to make sure they made money on each system sold. Microsoft's GIANT fuck up last time was building a system that they couldn't effectively price reduce over time, making sure that they lost a fuckload of cash with each system sold. Sony is making both of those mistakes this time around, and they have added Sega's mistake of pricing too high.

I think that while Sony will do well, this generation is now up for grabs as far as who will gain the most marketshare. Especially in the US.

Good points. again, from my angle as a consumer....neither Sony nor MS really has first-party shit that sells the system to me...Halo's fun, but its just not a dealbreaker on my end.

Like the SNES & Genesis, im expecting a lot of good games to be on both systems, and slightly better framerates on one doesnt do it for me either, or id be a PC gamer. Its gonna come down to exlusives.

Initially, im one of the gamers who looks for popular franchises (not so much 3rd party companies, because its a given the big ones - Konami, Capcom, Square, Namco, etc, are on board with both), so PS3 having Metal Gear 4 of course is a big initial push, but i wont lie, watching trailers at bishop's house, MS has a fun looking lineup on deck: Dead Rising, that John Woo game looks fucking badass, and a few others. The lack of japanese RPG's always throws me off, but this is the generation im expecting innovation in that genre from, so im gonna try to be more open to western ones of note as well, especially with much of Final Fantasy's team leaving.

However, im still a) a nintendo whore, and b) a sucker for good looking innovation, and Nintendo's the one with that this time around. I dont honestly know how many companies outside of them are gonna fully utilize these exciting periphrials, but i do know the possibiilies, and the lineup that're pretty much garunteed here, that alone will sell me, not to mention the pricetag.

Now im hearing rumors that the Wii is gonna be able to download not only much of the classic NES library, but possibly other systems as well? Ive been waiting for a proper emulator from a current gen console, personally, so this is a pretty cool option if it pans out.

Anyway, yeah, Nintendo's gonna Wii all over me, but im sitting this round out for the big 2, i wanna see what games drop past the holidays when the dust settles. $400-500 is a lot to ask, and i expect a lot for it.

Looks like the Hondonians across the pond are getting buggered up the arse:

From Joystiq:

Sony has officially announced the U.K. price of the Playstation 3 as £425, representing the fully featured PS3 which comes in at $599 in the U.S. and 599 EUR in Europe. GamesIndustry.biz suggests that Sony won't be selling the cut down model over the pond, although this isn't confirmed. The PS3's price in England is higher than the console's price in the United States and Europe but we're not entirely surprised by this: British consumers are used to paying more for their consoles (although traditionally the U.K. gets identical or lower prices compared to Europe). Here's a breakdown of the U.K. premium over U.S. and EU prices:

£109 more than the U.S. "Premium" PS3: the U.S. price is $599 which converts to £316. Take this away from £425 and you're left with a £109 premium.

£20 more than the EU "Premium" PS3: the EU price is 599 EUR which converts to £405. Take this away from £425 and you're left with a £20 premium

Now check out the price when compared to the Xbox 360:

£146 more than Xbox 360 Premium: the Xbox 360 Premium is £279. Take away this figure from the PS3's £425 price and you're left with a £146 premium.

£206 more than Xbox 360 Core: the Xbox 360 Core is £219. Take away this figure from the PS3's £425 price and you're left with a £206 premium.

If we were in Sony's shoes, we'd feel very uncomfortable right about now: the combination of a chunky U.S./U.K. price divide combined with the absence of a cut-down PS3 bundle doesn't stack up well against the PS3's main competitor: the Xbox 360. But wait! When we stepped into those Sony branded shoes we forgot to take the free prescription of Prozac hidden in the heel! Ahhh, much better. Now we'd say something similar to the Sony marketing rep tasked with announcing the news:

"I don't think it's an expensive machine; I think actually, it's probably a cheap machine ... If you think a Blu-Ray player by itself might be GBP 600-700, and we're coming in at just GBP 425 - it's a bargain."

Sony's "but it plays Blu-Ray" line works if you're addressing early adopters and hardcore users. However, the British public (the majority of which associate "PlayStation" with games console, and not much more) won't take kindly to hearing "bargain" and "cheap" in the same sentence as "four hundred and twenty five pounds".

• 1 month later...
Now im hearing rumors that the Wii is gonna be able to download not only much of the classic NES library, but possibly other systems as well? Ive been waiting for a proper emulator from a current gen console, personally, so this is a pretty cool option if it pans out.

It's not a rumour, there calling it the virtual console, and it's pretty much a bunch of emulators in a console, it'll let you download copy protected versions of classic games (just in case you thought it connected to FreeRomz.net). I've seen demo videos of it running Mario 64, so I say you're going to get a lot more than Nes and Snes. Plus the Wii has a slot for Gamecube games.