The NZA

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think bish posted this somewhere, but just in case:

White Knight trailer

20060925.jpg

Stop whatever you're doing right now and watch this video - offered in HD for Windows Media or Quicktime. That's Level 5's White Knight Story, and I must stress for readers that Level 5 is in no way fucking around. That's how you sell us a Goddamn Playstation 3. We are almost impervious to many of the brands that define Sony's hardware: for us, Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo emit no will crushing pheromones. Compare that to the White Knight clip, which is a fairly comprehensive tour of my private desires.

It's nice to finally get our eyes on materials that imply Sony is actually, for really reals releasing a console in a couple months. I understand that it can make my pictures look goods and let me surfs on The Web, didn't really ask for that, but alright. But the continued air of mystery regarding their supernatural free online service should really disturb people at this point, not that it will: if you follow the pastime then you can see that this conflict has already passed through the rational membrane and now occupies the same troubled zone as Religion and Professional Sport. True dialogue is now impossible. Faith in one's "team" is at the rudder. Heretics are everywhere, tainting each thread.

It was a rapturous couple of hours last week when the price reductions on the low-end PS3 were announced - would Japan be the epicenter of this new savings wave, and would this wave (after improving the lot of fish and crustaceans) wash up from sea to shining sea, as it were? Of course not, no. That would have been brilliant. Oh, two blessed hours! You were as some Elysian fifth season.

PA's right, i was really impressed. This looks like a cool RPG, even without knowing shit about the plot, and its hard to deny that with this, im clealry looking at a next-gen RPG as well.

They go on to compare the core PS3 with the core 360:

The entry-level PS3 is sometimes referred to as the 'tard pack, a snarling and brutal snip of hipster guttermouth. But it's not really that 'tarded: it has less hard drive space (i.e., the same paltry pile of bits the "high end" 360 relies upon), no wireless (360 ahem!), and no memory card readers (you should see a pattern emerging). It's still a PS3. The Core pack is roughly seven million times worse, because it's not just a 360 without the last generation's basic functionality. It's also the odd market gesture that means developers can never rely on the Hard Drive as a system component. I would imagine this dark reality grips the platform's masters in Redmond with a kind of swamp fever.

The "gimped" PS3 is practically designed to go head to head with the Xbox 360, it demands comparisons. Let's be clear, though: even when indulging in the price reduction fantasy, the lower cost model isn't an authentic choice. In a launch already squeezed for product, trying to find this white stag at retail is (I suppose) one way to go insane. Or get trampled by a Stepdad desperate for a way to connect with this strange new son. Or go insane whilst being trampled, etc.

some interesting/fun points, but for my purposes ($) i cant see seeking the core system; anyone willing to pay the extortion-level amount im seeking to sell a ps3 for, is clealry looking for the high-end system.

Anyway....White Knight's not a system-seller, my view, but it does finally do something towarsd the PS3 hype that Sony has been oddly seeking to destroy from E3 on...seriously, i know ive resolved myself to my PS2 and all for a while to come, but those of you still planning to get a PS3, dont you wish you were as hyped as you were around this time last year...?

TOld you the game would look good, though no one seemed to care when I linked the video a few days back. The Penny Arcade pretty much nailed my feelings, though it still isn't enough to get me to get a PS3, especially after a pretty kickass X06, maybe in a year or two.

And yeah, now that HDMI is in the PS3 tard pack, there is a LOT less reason to buy a premium, however the $500 pack will be in short supply if you believe SOny's numbers of 20% non premuim allocation.

though no one seemed to care when I linked the video a few days back.

waaaaaaaah you had like 3 other trailers up for the 360 as well....i am but a man!!

And yeah, now that HDMI is in the PS3 tard pack, there is a LOT less reason to buy a premium, however the $500 pack will be in short supply if you believe SOny's numbers of 20% non premuim allocation.

true but again, if prices are starting above $1k for these things opening week (id be willing to guess bundles might even fetch closer to 2, some circles), would hte whole limited edition thing be kinda pointless at that time?

• 1 month later...

shit's getting insane in the PS3 pre-launch over here. I saw almost 30 people camped out in front of a nearby Best Buy last night. I dont know how you get 3 days off of work for this thing, but props, i guess.

Planning on making up to $2k (possibly more) on ebay? Youre very much not alone, and they got a specific policy for this to adhere to. I think those of us selling the day of the release shouldnt apply.

However, the interesting part? As per that policy, you gotta print a reciept of your PS3 pre-buy to post an auction, right? Well, according to this shit, EB in canada, working with ebay and sony to some fucntion, is actually cancelling the pre-sale of any of them they see on ebay!

what kind of shit is that? Isnt what i do with a system my business once ive paid for it? This's gotta be Sony or someone unhappy about the consumers killing so much on the re-selling, but that's their fault for this undershipment bullshit.

no shit? thats unexpected.

then again, bishop tells me right now, theyre only ebaying for a fraction over the prcie tag, as opposed to the madness we heard the week before.

i just dont see it, that pricetag for that lineup? Im just not that big a Devil May Cry/God of War fan, i need to see more. A lot more.