Hondo's Bar

Playstation 3

The NZA

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dunno. i just dont see the need for all 3, even if i had the budget - lotta games are looking to get ported to both, so im wondering which games that are epectd for the PS3 excluslively that sell you guys one way or another, kinda the same question i had in the "next gen" poll.

Ken Kutaragi removed from president position

30 November 2006 9:56 by Davedough

In a recent review of Sony's management of their vulnerable Playstation line, President and proclaimed "father of Playstation", Ken Kutaragi has been removed of his President status. In a recent move, he will now no longer be involved in day-to-day decisions of the Playstation line. Head of the US department in Playstation, Kazuo Hirai will now take over his position.

That's not to say that Kutaragi isn't going to have an integral part in Sony, only not directly involved in what they do with their Playstation line in the future. He's been reappointed to Chairman (as opposed to President and COO). In Japan, the title of Chairman does not hold the same respect as Cheif Operations Officer. Part of this could be blamed for delays in their new PS3 console and less than stellar sales of their PSP. With an anemic launch in both Japan and the US, coupled with a delayed European launch until March, Sony was none too happy about Kutaragi's handling of their flagship console.

Cant say im surprised, he wasnt helping things PR wise from recent comments id read.

But the bigger news!

PS3 game backups not too far off

2 December 2006 19:43 by Davedough

Sony's newest console, the PS3 hasn't even been out for a month yet and already a group most people in the "scene" should know of has come incredibly close to unlocking its true potential.

Team Xecuter has been one of the biggest threats to Microsoft and Sony alike with modifications that enabled hard drive loading of your game backups. In a recent post on their website, they've revealed that they have connected a 750Gb hard drive to the PS3 and have successfully been able to pass data back and forth from it. Their newest development dubbed the Hyperdrive features the ability to connect any 3.5" SATA hard drive to your PS3 and they're currently working on an IDE solution. Additionally, it has USB 2.0 support for dumping data to and from the hard drive.

Upon connecting the drive, they have been able to get the PS3 to recognize it, format the drive to it's standards and store all the settings internally to the PS3 and not the hard drive.

What all this means is that its quite possible that Blu-Ray dumps to an external hard drive may not be too far off. Larger drives would be needed since games such as Resistance: Fall of Man have been seen taking up some 16Gb worth of data. It's an exciting time to see what these folks develop in the future. Could we see legitimate PS3 backups gracing the hard drives of the masses soon? Only time will tell.

:ohface::tulip:

pirateuserbar.jpg

i see what youre saying about production costs, im only thinking they might after the holidays because if i read it right, they already knocked $100 off in japan. When units arent flying off the shelves, im thinking they might go for it.

I wouldn't expect a price cut before '08. The Japan price cut happened for several reasons, the foremost being that cutting 10000 yen affect their bottom line far less than cutting $100 or god forbid 100 euros. If sony DOES cut the price, then they are in far worse a position than I could have imagined. They are already losing like 300 per system. I've read that they are hoping to minmize that loss by the fact that the yen is weak to the Dollar and especially the Pound Sterling and the Euro.

• 2 months later...

Echoing Bish's previous statement:

No PS3 price cut, potentially for years?

Ill admit, im not happy either but im not jumping on the "Sony's doomed" bandwagon of 360 love, either. Bish is right that i dont even know which pony theyre gonna ride for the holidays (i mean, a port of GTA against wha, Smash Bros and Halo 3?), but if they can keep developers on board, id expect a solid late '07, at least '08 from them...just, the slowest start evar.

Im also sad to hear their underestimating the issue of backwards compatibility, i personally see that as much more than a niche issue. Anyway, my point is: for those of us with a wii and no next-gen choice made yet, the verdict's still out. MS has a solid year ahead of them, line-up wise. I dont expect Sony to nearly close the gap, im just watching to see if they get enough titles to warrant the purchase.

Well i know the whole bluray vs hd dvd thing is still raging on, but even the PS3 launching over here @ 630 euro is half the price of a retail bluray player, they retail for €1300. So buying it as a Bluray player on its own is what a lot of people may do.

I'm gonna wait and see, when i get into my new house, i'll have a 42" Plasma, full hd 1080p, possible sky hd box, then down the line i may add the ps3 to the mix.

Wayne you betraying prick- you said you were getting a 360!!

And are PS3 hardrives internal or external? Folks keep raving about the 20G 360 one vs the 60/80 for PS3, but I just know Microsoft are gonna realease much bigger HDs down the track. I'm a demo/video whore of amazing prowess & I only have to clean up my hd maybe twice since I bought it. The exceedingly limited x/y axis in the controls & web browser are the only concievable leg-ups Sony has on Microsoft in this fight.