• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ahhhh, muchas gracias, lycaon. :howyoudoin:

dear nick,

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Edited by La Lindsay

• 4 months later...

I picked this up last night on DVD, they must have cut out this awesome hammer scene because I saw him hit a few guys with it and

pull some teeth with the claw part

but that was really it and none of it was really gruesome.

Also I hated the ending, I mean

They gear you up like he's gonna make this guy eat his own balls for what he did to him. And then he grovels and begs, cuts his tongue out and the guy kills himself so he gets himself hypnotized so he wont remember that the woman he's fucking is his daughter. I mean they should have at least had Oh Dae Su kill him and not himself.

Edited by Iambaytor

• 1 month later...

I have a funny story on this....

I was working at a video store when The Ring one was released to video. We also got Ringu (the original) on video and placed them side by side. One night i was particularly bored and watched customers as they went about looking at movies. (I felt kind of like Randal in clerks but without pissing anyone off). Anyhow.. i watch this guy pick up The Ring and yell up to me if i had anymore. I told him i didnt. So i watch him pick up the Ringu box and read both the front and the back. Now it states on the box that it is subtitled, rather prominently as i recall. So i see the guy bring it up and i rent it to him. Not more than 25 mins later he is back and wantes a different rental because "that stupid movie has subtitles". It was for this reason (and the shitty pay) i left that job.

merg'd!

few things i had to share:

this is the "ultimate eidtion" packaging of Old Boy...tell me that's not creepy/cool as shit.

OldBoy.jpg

also, wiki says this movie's part 2 of a 3 part "vengence" series of movies; anyone ever seen the others? Sympathy for Mr Vengence or Sympanthy for Lady Vengence? From the plot summaries....not as bad as this one, but fuck, still pretty interesting.

Edited by Iambaytor

Seen Sympathy for the Devil Mr Vengeance, and bits of Sympathy Ms Vengeance (I was pretty damn tired... movie marathon). Both seemed pretty good, but related to Old Boy?? Aside from them being about vengeance, the sympathy movies and Old Boy didn't seem connected in any way.

Rachel, any input from CJ on this? I'm pretty sure he's seen all three all the way through.

also, wiki says this movie's part 2 of a 3 part "vengence" series of movies; anyone ever seen the others? Sympathy for Mr Vengence or Sympanthy for Lady Vengence? From the plot summaries....not as bad as this one, but fuck, still pretty interesting.

They're all awesome. Oldboy is the best though. Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is the hardest one to get into (the main character is a deaf-mute) but once you do it's kick ass.

Park Chan-wook is creeping up my list of best directors ever.

In other news I don't think I'll be taking Ebert's chair anytime soon.

• 6 months later...
oldboy.jpg

In the chilling video Cho also appears to re-enact scenes from a film detectives say he had repeatedly watched in the days leading up to the massacre. The South Korean movie Oldboy has themes of obsession and revenge which also occur in Cho's own writings.

1525410.jpg

Seriously, next time some fucking cocksucker goes on a rampage, hows about mimicing some of Uwe Boll's catalog?

Forever looking for something to blame for tragedy (GTA! MARILYN MANSON!) it looks like Oldboy may be making its way onto that list. I pulled that from two different sites but it's getting reported everywhere.

• 2 years later...
Fuck the remake.

Leave it is as it is.

wish granted

This just in…

You know that OLDBOY remake…well it wasn’t really a remake, anyway (which is a terrible idea by the way) Steven Spielberg and Will Smith were suppose to do a film that was based on the Japanese manga by Nobuaki Minegishi and Garon Tsuchiya and NOT FROM THE ORIGINAL FILM.

At the time DreamWorks was in the process of securing the rights along with MANDATE, until NOW.

According to a trusted source…

…It’s DEAD!

Mandate and DreamWorks didn’t see eye to eye therefore DreamWorks has apparently walked away.

No Spielberg.

No Will Smith.

THEY’RE OUT!

Hence no stateside Oldboy remake…or whatever you want to call it.

Stay tuned as more develops.

You guys should be hearing something in the trades soon.

aey2bd.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...