Hondo's Bar

Oldboy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sure, sure.

it's popular in some circles to downplay Spike Lee...but only if you haven't seen Malcolm X, Do the right thing, When the Levees Broke, etc etc.

I've still never gotten around to Malcolm X, but I've seen most of his oeuvre. Inside Man & 25th Hour were good films. Red Hook Summer looked to be good, but got poor reviews; so that one moved down on my priority list of flicks to see. Anyway, give the guy a good script and cast and he likely won't fuck up--but you could say that of most directors. If I'm picking a list of 10 directors I'd like to see direct a remake of Old Boy* (since there is going to be one whether we want it or not), his name isn't anywhere near it. He's capable, but by no means has he shown any real sense of a true style that would make him helming this film anything less than cringe worthy for me.

* Yeah, yeah, yeah, the script is supposedly based on the manga and not the filmed Korean modern classic.

That's a far cry from saying he's the worst director since Uwe Bol. Hyperbole aside, that's flat out retarded.

I never said that Lee was worse than Uwe Boll. I wrote Uwe was a step down from Lee, meaning Lee is better. You like throwing around the "retarded" word a lot. So I hope I'm making that point clear enough for you now. But just in case. . .

This movie could be in far, far worse hands

Umm, yeah. Like Uwe Boll'shands.

Y8PX9.jpg

That was a really embarrassing comeback brah. You really shouldn't do this sort of thing. Just take your licking when you say something stupid.

You said the only director you could think of that was worse than Spike Lee was Uwe Bol, who is, arguably, the worst director of all time.

I took that to mean that you thought Spike Lee was the second worst. Because...that's what you said. This isn't a flaw in my reading comprehension. That's a flat out retarded statement. Especially for someone that's actually seen a movie.

sure, sure.

it's popular in some circles to downplay Spike Lee...but only if you haven't seen Malcolm X, Do the right thing, When the Levees Broke, etc etc.

Inside man and he got game are both good too, in my opinion.

As nick said, there are many worse people that could've been given the nod here. Not that I'm overly happy the nod has been given at all.