Hondo's Bar

nine inch nails

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well...Trent Reznor just dropped another bomb by announcing and releasing a new album ON THE SAME DAY.

Nine Inch Nails presents Ghosts I - IV, a brand new 36 track instrumental collection available right now. Almost two hours of new music composed and recorded over an intense ten week period last fall, Ghosts I - IV sprawls Nine Inch Nails across a variety of new terrain.

Trent Reznor explains, "I've been considering and wanting to make this kind of record for years, but by its very nature it wouldn't have made sense until this point. This collection of music is the result of working from a very visual perspective - dressing imagined locations and scenarios with sound and texture; a soundtrack for daydreams. I'm very pleased with the result and the ability to present it directly to you without interference. I hope you enjoy the first four volumes of Ghosts."

Following his experimental business model of the latest Saul Williams album, there are five different packages for purchase.

1. Free Download - Ghosts I - The first 9 tracks from the Ghosts I-IV collection available as high-quality, DRM-free MP3s, including the complete PDF.
  2. $5 download - Ghosts I-IV - All 36 tracks in a variety of digital formats including a 40 page PDF.
  3. $10 CD - Ghosts I-IV on two audio CDs in a six panel digipak package with a 16 page booklet. - Shipped in April 8th.
  4. $75 Deluxe Edition - Ghosts I-IV in a hardcover fabric slipcase containing: 2 audio CDs, 1 data DVD with all 36 tracks in multi-track format, and a Blu-ray disc with Ghosts I-IV in high-definition 96/24 stereo and accompanying slideshow. - Shipped May 1st.
  5. $300 Ultra-Deluxe Limited Edition - ncludes everything in the Deluxe Edition Package, along with an exclusive four-LP 180 gram vinyl set in a fabric slipcase, and two exclusive limited edition Giclee prints in a luxurious package. Limited to 2500 pieces, numbered and signed by Trent Reznor. Shipped May 1st.

All the physical copies also come with the immediate digital download.

Two weeks ago, on nin.com, TR posted a blog titled "2 weeks" and that was all. Yesterday he posted a blog titled "Soon". At 6:10 GMT-06:00 (my time, deal with it) this evening, he posted a blog titled "2 hours".

At 8:08 the site updated with a new look and blog titled "ghosts i-iv" with the blog stating "The new Nine Inch Nails record is available RIGHT NOW."

Announced and released same day. Jeez.

I'm on track 11 right now and it's crazy. A huge change of pace for NIN but definitely NIN. Many styles have been touched on (and it's all instrumental)...and it has the feel of a musical experiment, which it essentially is. Very good stuff.

OH! Quick edit! Forgot to mention that it's released under the Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license. Under a fucking Creative Commons license!

Edited by Stillbored

Oh man! I am so excited!!!

I went ahead and did the $10 one, and downloaded the tracks immediately. But my computer hates the zip file or something. It keeps saying nothing is in the folder or some shit like that. I dunno. I hope I figure it out!! I really wanna hear this! Man, I would be super pissed right now if I wasn't getting physical copies next month...

Oh man! I am so excited!!!

I went ahead and did the $10 one, and downloaded the tracks immediately. But my computer hates the zip file or something. It keeps saying nothing is in the folder or some shit like that. I dunno. I hope I figure it out!! I really wanna hear this! Man, I would be super pissed right now if I wasn't getting physical copies next month...

Avast, PIRACY!!

• 4 weeks later...
after giving all of it a listen, i think its nothing more than dull background with flashes of potential that never really goes anywhere, i'd rather listen to some early mortiis if i want background, at least i won't be frustrated by things that sound good going nowhere....

If I meet you in real life, I will promptly thank you for the shirt, and then bludgeon you to death with the massive $75 version of the album (provided I get it at some point).

Opinions m'man, everyone has them.

Dude I'm just screwin with yeah. I know that doesn't always translate well over the internet, but a threat to bludgeon someone to death with an album shouldn't be taken even remotely seriously.

Dude I'm just screwin with yeah. I know that doesn't always translate well over the internet, but a threat to bludgeon someone to death with an album shouldn't be taken even remotely seriously.

*sniff sniff*

Just when i think someone starts to care about me, they take away the one flame of romance we have going and remove the threat of death....

so, ah mixed reviews so far, then?

gotta say, trent's bitched in the past about a lack of promotion, is this part of that?

Well, I didn't know about Ghosts when it first came out. My friend, who's also a big fan of NIN told me about the websales. So as far as promotion, not very good. I think I saw a bulletin on myspace, but when you've got 124129092751 friends, your bulletins tend to span many pages. It can get lost in the flood.

Honestly, it's not something I would listen to all the time. I would listen to it if I'm just chilling or going to sleep and want some background noise. I think the best use I will have of it is when I finally sit down and start drawing. It has a lot of ghostly noises in it, I guess hence the name of the albums. But it does have some off-sounding things to it. Nothing straying from NINs usual music. How often do you get something completely instrumental?

I can see where "i think its nothing more than dull background with flashes of potential that never really goes anywhere" comes from, but honestly, if these were songs with lyrics you have definite sections broken by choruses and it leads you through the song, almost brainless. Since it's all instrumental, you're supposed to have the music take you somewhere.

All in all, a very good compilation of music. All clearly distinctive from each other and employing differing moods and imagery. The only qualm I have is that some of these tracks, if not the majority, are like 2 minutes long. They might be good to use in the background of a website (as long as the theme fits).

I can see where "i think its nothing more than dull background with flashes of potential that never really goes anywhere" comes from, but honestly, if these were songs with lyrics you have definite sections broken by choruses and it leads you through the song, almost brainless. Since it's all instrumental, you're supposed to have the music take you somewhere.

I getcha, but a lot of the music i listen to is instrumental, and that goes somewhere without words, and i felt that ghosts went nowhere, unlike a band i listen to, god is an astronaut, whose music is not only brilliant, it builds to something and goes somewhere.

Gonna go for more of the popular ones so you can find em on youtube no problem.

We're in this together.

Head like a hole.

Sin.

Capital G.

Just like you imagined.

I'd reccomend just randomly youtubing from there...

On an unrelated note, ASC, you are majorly on to something with the chicken teriyaki and southwest sauce....

I'm gonna name some of the lesser known ones first:

- Wish is one of my new favorites. It's a bit old NIN but still good.

- Dead Souls from The Crow soundtrack

- The Perfect Drug

The Downward Spiral:

- March of the Pigs

- Ruiner

- Eraser

- Reptile

The Fragile:

- The Wretched

- The Fragile

- The Great Below

- Starfuckers

- Where is Everybody

With Teeth:

- The Hand that Feeds

- Only

- Right Where it Belongs

Year Zero:

- Survivalism

- The Beginning of the End

- The Great Destroyer

heh, I think that's good for now. I'm sure I missed some good ones but you can get a good sampling from this.