Hondo's Bar

Nintendo Wii

The NZA

I've been thinking about games that nintendo should puy online, heres a list. Add any games you think would kick ass.

1.Mario cart, yes its online i know i just like saying it

2. super smash bro, see above

3.starfox, you and three guys taking on an armada of ship

4.bomberman cause blowing up IC never gets old

5.mario brothers co-op

6.zelda four sword four player to save hyrule

What do you think

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those are all good choices, and online bomberman actually might give others a chance to win for once. :D

You know, those Ninja Turtle games lately arent gettin good reviews. Jax pointed out to me that online play means 1,000 people could play Smash Bros, and the camera'd focus on your one guy for you, instead of bein spread out amongst 4 on screen.

So, a game with the other tutles online playing, or even others controlling foot soldiers/bosses for classic konami arcade fun'd be cool.

• 3 months later...

hands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054952269_thumb.jpghands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054930644_thumb.jpghands-on-the-revolution-controller-20050915054852879_thumb.jpg

Video:

http://cubemovies.ign.com/cube/video/artic...91605_qtlow.mov

and if that doesn't work there's an embedded video on this page that should work for everyone.

http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2005/09/16/443527.html

Personally I think it looks ace, but it's all dependant on getting game developers to cater to its functions, remember the N64, too few games utilised the pad and analogue stick at the same time (off the top of my head all I can think of is Goldeneye, most games just disabled the joypad)

This can be cool if they can get software developers to work with the concept and port existing games on to this zany interface, if there's been one thing that's killed the last two Nintendo consoles it's lack of software.

I think this has to be the official controller if they've showcased videos of it, though I can't help but think that a more conventional third party controller or an official gamecube clone will take over for most traditional games.

Here's a question, of all the game play styles shown in the video, how many are based on actual games in production. Not many is my bet, I think they're trying to sell the concept to developers more than consumers, and for our sake let's hope they're buying. But who outside of Japan would play a cooking game, it's like real cooking, but more expensive and you don't get to eat.

Edited by Jont

You can't pretend to dance you just dance. The electronic pet idea is a bit wierd but I'm suddendly taken with the idea of a cooking game that's compatible with a Pokemon game. I'd play that.

Or a livestock sequel to Harvest Moon called Slaughter Dawn.

I just saw the promo video , gotta say, for what Nintendo seems to have in mind, this controller design makes sense. Ya gotta hand it to them for truely thinking revolutionarily. I'm not sure if they intend for EVERY game to utilize the movement of the controller, but int eh promo, even the game with Mario sounds used it. How will games take to this. It's certain not going to appeal to the lazier crowd. I'm all about swinging my controller to slice through gannon in the next Zelda game though.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

But who outside of Japan would play a cooking game, it's like real cooking, but more expensive and you don't get to eat.

Just like games such as Leisure Suit Larry or The Sims. Yeah in those games you try hard to get laid, but you don't actually get to do the girl for real.

I appreciate the want to keep things revolutionary, but it looks like Miyamoto may have seriously made a booboo on this one. Getting third parties to support this thing is going to be one hell of an uphill batte, not to mention, am I the only who sees this controller flying out of people's hands when they are swinging their swords in game or what have you?

DIE GANNON DIE!!!! *Fling* *crash* "Dude, I think you killed the TV."

Still I think there are some interesting possibilities, but I think this announcement has crushed gunsmith's soul. He is a hardcore nintendite, but after the controller announcement he's seeming well, listless and dead inside.

Also curious how you are supposed to play old games with this thing, because it looks like it'd be tough for anything other than NES games.

Edit: Just saw the video, looks interesting, though I still see that thing flying out of people's hands, even more so now. if anyone can make it work it's nintendo, though again, third part support is going to be a bitch and a half. I understand the idea a bit better now, but how this plays in the market is going to be the big question.

Edited by bishopcruz

am I the only who sees this controller flying out of people's hands when they are swinging their swords in game or what have you?

DIE GANNON DIE!!!! *Fling* *crash* "Dude, I think you killed the TV."

Heh, you say that like it doesn't already happen. :???:

This is why I love Nintendo. Between this and the DS, they're proving that they're still all about innovative design. I'm not sure yet if this is going to make it easier or harder to design games for the Revolution, and I don't know if it'll end up being a better method overall, but I felt the same way when they unveiled the N64 controller so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I get to try it myself. I can see this making it harder for game companies to successfully utilize all three systems, though. The Gamecube controller was similar enough to those of the PS2 and XBox that it didn't make a huge amount of difference, but designing one game that will work with this controller and that of the PS3 might be tough. It could either mean the Revolution has fewer games, or just a bunch of crappy ports of PS3 games. :huh:

Gunsmith's not a true Miyamoto loyalist if he's losin heart already.

I heard this about cel-shaded link, N64/Gamecube controllers, and everything in between..granted, Super Scope & Virtual Boy didnt go so well, but you still dont know what they have in mind till it premiers. Visually, there was nothing concrete last E3, so im not gonna pretend to know much right now, but looking at the track record - im sure itll be awesome, and a lot of fun. :luigi:

• 7 months later...

Okay my entirely figurative and non legal tender money is on Revolution, if not to be the most successful, then to be the best of the crop of consoles.

A lot of people have been bitching that it's not going to be as powerful as the contenders, and it isn't. But so what, we've reached a point in time where games are no longer going to look like ass, what ever console you get, it'll look pretty.

Sony and Microsoft make hardware, but Nintendo are games developers, always have been, and you can dispute this, and tell me Pong was your generation's Citizen Kane, but Nintendo invented the games console as we know it.

users_z.jpg

you knows it

They were the first to use a joypad with NES (history titbit, they'd actually done it already with the game and watch, but I've never played one of those things so I don't rate them) and then everyone copied them.

Then they were the first to use shoulder buttons, which didn't really make much difference until 3D came along and we finally found out what they were there for.

Then N64 game us a joystick you could control with your thumb (plus a fucking trigger, mandatory for Goldeneye in my book!), and Sony incorporated one into their own controller. They brought out the Rumble Pak and Sony incorporated vibration.

users_alex.jpg

No caption for this one, but the word immediately proceeding it was vibration, isn't that enough?

Next Nintendo brought out the Gamecube controller, which had a yellow bit. No one really tried to duplicate this one, but the Xbox controller's dimensions seem to be modelled on the Gamecube itself.

So Nintendo has lost a lot of steam during the Gamecube and 64 days, they lost Rare (if it's any consolation, by all accounts Rare seem to have lost it), but they're bouncing back. Sony entered the handheld foray with a shitty Play station that plays old games on a tiny screen. Nintendo hit back with the DS, introducing a new control system and fostering new forms of game play that couldn't exist on another system and they're winning.

To surmise.

Nintendo------------->users_new_2b.jpg

Required Reading.

Red Steel

Article on the history of the controller, which mentions companies other than Nintendo, who did nothing.

Big ass list of Revolution developers.

And just in case you're thinking the Revolution is something that happened in France

and least we forget NES buckles.

Check out nintendos page

wii.jpg

Yes you read the title right, Nintendo has renamed the Revolution the Wii, pronounced "We". This could quite possibly be the worst name for a console since, well, ever.

Here is the Big N's PR blurb:

"Introducing ... Wii. As in "we." While the code-name "Revolution" expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that separates video game players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games ... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?"

"Wii sounds like 'we,' which emphasizes this console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii."

"Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people gathering to play. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of video games that sets it apart from the crowd."

"So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because, it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything."

Just waiting for the dick jokes/scatalogical humor.

There must be something wrong with the board, because that post should clearly be dated April first.

*Google searches "Revolution"*

AGGhhh! good god no!

Hopefully they'll change that name for the English speaking world, I mean they called the NES "Famicom" in Japan.

Actually it might grow on me. Providing they deliver on games who gives a shit. Playstation sounds like an educational toy for toddlers.

Son of a......Here I was thinking it was a late aprils fools joke.

Nintendo Wii. It has a ring to it, doesn't it?

If you said "no," you're not alone. On the news that Nintendo's new console would henceforth be known as the "Wii," internet forums have exploded with anger, disgust, confusion, and speculation.

But in today's CNN Money column, Nintendo remains characteristically resolute in its decision. "I'm sure people felt the same way when Google was named -- or the iPod. Napster. Yahoo," says Nintendo of America's vice president of marketing, Perrin Kaplan. "There's a whole host of unusual names that have become a part of everyday conversation and I think they're viewed now as unique."

But that isn't stopping gamers from sounding off on the controversy. "Wow, what a terrible name... I honestly thought this was a joke at first," offers GamePro.com community member MetalliCube. "I loved the

name Revolution, it seemed so right," says GamePro.com user Shinobi558. "I'm gonna have to get used to this... Wii."

Even members of the press and blogging community are expressing reservation at Nintendo's choice. "I've always hoped that the Revolution would stick as the official name, so I question Nintendo's decision to go with [Wii]," Kotaku editor and Rocky Mountain News columnist Brian Crecente tells GamePro.com. "You don't need to craft a non-sensical word to get around language barriers. People have never had problems understanding the GameCube or Xbox or Playstation 2."

"That being said.... No one's really going to care what the Wii is called once they have the console in their hands," Crecente writes.

Eh, i agree its not a good name (or spelling), but i honestly wasnt big on Super, 64, Dreamcast, Playstation, X-box, etc - they just kinda stuck over time. I cant remember the last good console name since, uh, genesis. but i mostly agree with:

Actually it might grow on me. Providing they deliver on games who gives a shit. Playstation sounds like an educational toy for toddlers.

how much does it matter, really? I think most folks made up their mind on buying this system or not a while back.