Hondo's Bar

Nintendo Wii

The NZA

Well, we will see, this could be a success with the casual gaming crowd or a horrible failure. I don't think nintendo needs to worry about the early adopters, they will be grabbing the system anyhow, it's getting the others onboard, and the name is part of that marketing.

I'm not saying that all consoles have been well named, but WOW this is a really bad one. Don't like the logo much either.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its kinda plain...ill have to see how it looks on the hood.

Again, if this thing premiers with some kinda zelda or mario game, it could be the Nintendo Scabies for all i care. i just dont know how much nintendo should be promising consumers to come off as "normal" and "get laid", that's tough marketing.

For our friends in the UK:

This shit writes itself:

Koch to disribute Wii all over the UK

"We couldn't resist ... the headline wrote itself! But seriously, folks, if you haven't heard, back in January, Nintendo appointed Koch Media to be the preferred distribution partner of their products in the UK. Yep, that's it. Now get back to work!"

This sounds like a snafu the likes of releasing the Nova in spanish speaking countries.

Edited by bishopcruz

it also made Junkerseed need glasses. That's harsh, but it did make me think if i tried it long enough, mebbe itd fix my vision somehow, as only Ninteno and their Wii can do.

I do sorta wish Nintendo'dve released the "Vag".

• 2 weeks later...

Hands on with Wii controller:

Alright, we briefed y'all on what we knew so far about the Wii controller early this morning, but now that we've gotten our paws on the Wiimote itself, we wanted to let you know how it is in the flesh. Nintendo and millions of fanboys are betting a lot on this concept, and Nintendo itself said that "playing is believing" every other sentence of their keynote, so the real question is: do we believe?

The short answer is that we're just not sure yet. The first chance we got with the Wii was for a golfing game (the shortest line we found, go fig) and as soon as we got our hands on the Wiimote we knew it was something special. We slipped the wrist lanyard on so we didn't fling the remote across the room, and held in our hands the light weight, ergonomic, and simply beautiful controller. If this was as far as we'd gotten we would have gone home happy. The controller allows plenty of leverage for the trigger "b" and the large "a" button, and only slipped out of our hand once from a particularly aggressive sword strike in "Red Steel." Click on for the rest.

Unfortunately, we soon realized a flaw in the control scheme for golf, in that there was no frame of reference or feedback for our motions. A traditional analog stick lets you know how extreme your motion was, but we just couldn't quite get a feel for how much power we were putting into our putts. Nintendo's "Tennis" game was quite enjoyable by comparison, but it automates a lot of the control such as the movement of your character. You also can't miss if you time your swing well enough, so we can't say this really tests the controller. That said, it was quite fun and provided a whole new type of play experience that we look forward to more of in the future. Next up, the "Obstacle Course" tech demo, which was so painful to play we almost swore off the controller altogether. Yeah, that fast. The sensitivity was so high that we couldn't keep our character from bouncing all around and losing all his coins, but our opponent managed his character fairly well, so perhaps we just don't got game.

Our hopes were buoyed by the sight of Ubisoft's "Red Steel," but were quickly dashed by the incredibly awkward FPS aiming that this game is banking on. The controls were great and easily learned, and we were soon slashing, parrying, ducking, shooting, reloading, opening and pushing with more convenience than we can ever remember in a shooter, and never had to look down to find a button once. But our aiming could be best compared to that of a hyperactive drunkard, and we seemed to get worse at aiming as the demo progressed. This is bad news for FPS fans who thought they might have found a new home on the Wii, but we have heard that games will allow you to set the controller sensitivity yourself, and Ubi obviously has some polishing time left before release.

We had a much more enjoyable experience aiming in a simple Bomberman mini game in which we shot at balls of lava, but weren't required to pan the camera or anything fancy. The other Bomberman mini games were equally enjoyable, including a balancing act, and a old school Sonic-like tunnel run that had us twisting our wrists in some rather uncomfortable ways -- in a good way. We didn't get to Zelda or Metroid, but we heard conflicting reports as to the ease of aiming in both of those games, with one complaining of the oversensitivity of Zelda, and another claiming Metroid to be the very pinnacle of the series and singing the praises of the FPS control.

The overall story seems to be that Nintendo's Wii controller (along with the expertly crafted and very intuitive nunchuka attachment) is all it claims to be, but software manufacturers still haven't figured out how to get this wonderful hardware to control their games as easily as the gamepads of yore, and our skills have not yet progressed beyond a shaky noob. It might turn out that the controller is just too abstract for some actions, and too hard to hold and control for others (let's hope FPS doesn't fall into that category), but we're going to reserve judgement until the software is more mature and we get a Wii in our living room for a few nights of practice.

So, first impressions in a nutshell: mixed bag. Are we hopeful? You bet. Are we floored? Not yet, but we're not willing to rule anything out. We're expecting to get some more play time this week, so we'll check back with you.

I've been hearing a lot of mixed reports like this, some people are raving, and others, not so much. I respect the hell out of Nintendo for being ballsy, now we just have to see if this thing will work in the long run. Or is the learning curve for devs and users going to be too great.

Well here's hoping, I know the first time I played a First Person shooter or any 3D game (Christ, was there a first time, there must have been) it took a while to get used to. Seems to me like games like Red Steel or Metroid need to use one of the buttons on the top of the controller to switch between moving the cursor within the screen and moving the screen with the cursor. I wonder they don't just control like most FPS, extreme motion sickness in play testing?

Word is, Red Steel is ass, but that Metroid is aweesome. With the new control scheme I may actually play this one, it seems cool. The old scheme made Baby Jesus cry. Super Mario Galaxy sounds cool, as does Zelda. Still the fact that Zelda won't support widescreen for it's gamecube version is horeshit.

• 5 months later...