Hondo's Bar

Serenity

The series takes place befoer the movie. It actaully kicks off with Simon getting aboard Serenity, smuggling River aboard. The movie was meant to bring closure to the show, that was ended aburtly. If you liked the movie, there's not way th show wouldn't be up your alley. Same core cast, some writing and moments that exceeded the movie's.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She has a much bigger role in the series than she did in the movie. So did the preacher character. Basically everything that happens in the movie is made much more significant after you've spent half a season with the characters. Definitely give it a watch if you liked the flick.

• 7 months later...

It's good read, but don't expect too much. With only three short issues, it actually feels like barely enough content to fill up a single episode of Firefly.

Sadly, still no news on a possible sequel. Even the last rumor I heard was way back in December so...unfortunately, I think the story is pretty much finished. At least it went out with a bang, though.

Yeah, but at least those 3 short issues were fun..

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

anyway, whedon's doine a comic before, semi-regularly, kinda wish he'd at least put out another series or two of this if he doesnt envision returning to the story in another format.

Yeah I wouldn't mind Whedon doing more Firefly comics at least. It'd be something. A videogame would be awesome.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One year of this thread and nobody's yet to say they didn't like Serenity. Allow me.

But first, to put things in perspective: I loved Firefly. A hell of a lot. Man, what a series. So don't go all thinking I'm just a hater who doesn't get the genius of this story, these characters.

And neither, I think, did I love it just so incredibly much that ANYTHING, short of a full second series, would be a let down.

I thought Serenity had a weaker plot, weaker dialogue, weaker characterisation than Firefly. Alone, it was a sub-average sci-fi flick made above average only by the history of the series and the knowledge of story, character etc. that we start the film with (assuming we've seen the series).

Alright, so I'm not really saying I didn't like it. It was pretty enjoyable and great stuff to see the Firefly crew back on the screen. It was just less than it could have been. And this Serenity love-in of a thread needed a devil's advocate. :)

• 2 years later...

i have to add another negative comment here. you really have to have seen the series i think to enjoy this movie. i didn't not like the movie, just it didn't do anything special. the movie seemed just so generic. it seemed like it had all been done before and none of the characters were likable. then it goes and starts behaving like a different genre of movie midway thorough (i won't give away too much here). i'm sure the tv series will get a little more into the characters, but as a standalone, no, doesn't work.

so yeah, i'll get around to the tv series one of these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else get the feelings that the assassin villian in the movie was a rehash of the assassin villian from the series?

Also, I have to say that when I saw the movie, I loved the hell out of it, but I agree that as a standalone, it doesn't work.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as tto say the dialogue and characterizations were weaker, though I can see how that would be likely with the extra emphasis on action in the movie.

heh heh. I just peeked at Spiffytee's profile and it says, 'Gender not set'. I'd have to agree...

Did anyone else get the feelings that the assassin villian in the movie was a rehash of the assassin villian from the series?

Eh. I can see it on the surface, but Early (the assassin from the series) was all about getting into people's heads and pushing their buttons and playing power games (I always thought it was implied that he was a mild Reader, like River). The Operative was simply cold efficiency all the way through. There were similarities but their personalities were very different. I think the Operative of the film was actually meant to remind you of Shepherd Book more than anyone else.