Hondo's Bar

Outkast

The NZA

outkast.jpg

Everyone, regardless of musical taste, loves Outkast. Given that....this:

outkast_100x100.jpg

Outkast Ready To Unveil "Idlewild"

Wednesday - October 12, 2005 by Carl Chery

After a two-year absence, Outkast is scheduled to release their highly anticipated new album, Idlewild this coming December on LaFace/Jive Records.

The album will serve as the soundtrack to the duo's My Life In Idlewild movie and the first single is dubbed "Idlewild Blues." The film is slated to hit theaters in January 2006. The movie is set in the 1930s, and according to Big Boi, the film's period influenced the soundtrack's music.

"In our own little way," Big Boi told Billboard regarding the music's influence earlier this summer. "Just with the Ragtime feel. It's Hip-Hop. It's Outkast. It is what we've been doing for years. Some songs have a little more piano or whatever, but the whole project

was a natural progression from a double CD. It was like, 'Where do we go from here?'"

Big Boi also emphasized that the soundtrack is an Outkast album rather than a compilation featuring various artists.

In related news, LaFace/Jive is scheduled to release Outkast's The Videos in the Universal disc format for PSP. The collection features videos from hits like "So Fresh, So Clean," "B.O.B," "Ms. Jackson" and "Hey Ya."

Big Boi recently received a Fine Arts Award from Savannah, Georgia's King-Tisdell Cottage Foundation for his accomplishments in the arts. The foundation's aim is to research and preserve black history and culture in Savannah. Big Boi received the award in a ceremony this past Saturday.

Outkast's The Videos is slated to hit stores November 15th, while Idlewild is scheduled to hit stores December 6th.

Yeah, good move. I notice you didnt argue with the "everybody loves Raymond" logic back there...fuck, even your boy Clark's a fan.

On a similar side-note: did you ever check out that Fugees mp3 i linked to a while back? might not be up no more, but i can find a torrent if it aint.

I was thinking of a poll, for best Outkast album:

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik

ATLiens

Aquemini

Stankonia

Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

...but i dont think enough Hondonians have heard their full albums, though a few prolly caught the last one.

• 10 months later...

i got sick of Hey ya, yeah, and i guess i figured, it went like 11x platinum or something, id hear it eventually, but then after like 03 i stopped hearin bout it and kinda forgot it.

finally got around to it, and even Big Boi's disc aint bad, but Ghetoomusick and other fun trakcs still cant hang with the last one on Andre's, "Life In The Day Of Benjamin Andre", he just goes bar after bar for like 5 minutes about his entire life, i really like it when some rappers flow like that - like The Roots' "web" or a lotta wu-tracks.

it was my bad for lettin overexposure push me away from a good experience. i did the same shit with Jurrassic Park back inna day.

• 3 years later...

You beat me to it, Nick. I just listened to it the whole way through last night and it blew me away. After their last studio album (let's not discuss Idlewild) I thought Big Boi was the weaker of the two, creatively. But he came through proper on this one. Still, I think they work best together. "Hey, Ya" was hot and SLL:SOCD is a solid hip-hop joint, but I've heard nothing that could match "BOB," Rosa Parks," or "Mrs. Jackson" since they stopped truly collaborating. And I'm pretty sure that's not just nostalgia talking either.

Back on point. The intro to Big Boi's album pretty much sets the whole thing up beautifully and I want a full 3-4 min instrumental version of this!

Got this the other day and definitely lovin' it so far. It's very Atlanta. I feel like I should be ridin' in a Cadillac or Impala or something when I listen to it. Fuckin' great CD! Only reason I've been neglecting it is cause the new Eminem. Holy crap! Too much good shit out.

Got this the other day and definitely lovin' it so far. It's very Atlanta. I feel like I should be ridin' in a Cadillac or Impala or something when I listen to it. Fuckin' great CD! Only reason I've been neglecting it is cause the new Eminem. Holy crap! Too much good shit out.

When I drove from Miami to philly I enjoyed the radio the most driving through ATL; easily the best radio Ive heard in a very long time. They openly play underground rap that is absolutely sick and it sounds far from garbage; extremely well produced. (notice I didnt say hip-hop)

big boi's new album is like a breath o fresh air but I hope he settles things with his label after he accused them of sabotage (which absolutely makes no sense). I have no idea why a magnificent piece o work like that was held back tho... But the best things are usually delayed arent they?

CANT WAIT FOR ANDRE3000's drop W00t!!!!

ps

//

After their last studio album (let's not discuss Idlewild) I thought Big Boi was the weaker of the two, creatively. But he came through proper on this one. Still, I think they work best together. "Hey, Ya" was hot and SLL:SOCD is a solid hip-hop joint, but I've heard nothing that could match "BOB," Rosa Parks," or "Mrs. Jackson" since they stopped truly collaborating. And I'm pretty sure that's not just nostalgia talking either.

i wanted to come back to this: Big Boi's grown on me over the years, and different tastes being what they are...i still get surprised by the occassional dude who likes him more than Andre. so yeah, from my point of view, id say its 100% not nostalgia on your part; Outkast (like ATCQ, Blackstar, Fugees, several others) is made of talented members who can hold their own, but do magnificent work when paired up...so why isn't this the case? i looked into a bit on a hip-hop board/discussion i frequent, which basically says this:

Jive (current label) has a history of treating its artists like absolute shit. The Clipse got boned more than once while trying to release Hell Hath No Fury, Tribe likewise in the day...it looks like if you're not R&B or pop, they dont promote/put your shit out there on time or with much effort at all. UGK, Too $hort and others have apparently said the same shit.

so, what i'm reading is...Live wont let them do tracks together, so Boi just leaked "Lookin for ya", and Royal Flush has been out for years now.

lotta this is heresay and shit from Boi's tweets, apparently...its not even clear if they're letting their solo contracts run out (still have one as Outkast, i believe) or if its something else he said about if his and Dre's solo albums sell well, that's the next project. i agree though, its fucking silly, and i can't for the life of me sort out why Jive seems to not want the stupid-level of money Speakerboxxx/The Love Below must've brought in.

PS Ice - you caught how Daddy Fat Sax samples "Explosion" from Stankonia? i totally missed that the first time.

• 5 months later...

Previous post = a buncha bullshit.

No, don't get excited... this AIN'T some new Outkast shit (I wish). I was just on YouTube doing the 'let's see if I can break it' game and found this little gem that I had totally forgotten about. Back in the day I used to smoke out ride out with Dopelovah to this. Remember her, Nick? Anyways, produced by Andre (and also one of his best verses). Enjoy!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nDGS33mMVs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nDGS33mMVs?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nDGS33mMVs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

haha, i forgot about that chick...whodey used to say she'd come by like very day to bum his shit.

fun track, needed more 3k but so do so many others...i swear, he blesses shit with his verses. the radio looping "deuces" with him towards the end outta nowhere brings the song up a few notches for me.

Forgot about that track, Panch. Good one. Honestly, I prettymuch forgot about Kelis all-together. Maybe now that she's ditched that loser Nas she can get her career back on track. :2T:

And if Nick's post was such bullshit, then where the fuck is my new Outkast album all ready!?!??!:mad:

One last thing, this mash-up deserves another mention here:

Heh. I totally thought by posting a Kelis track that it would send Nick into a Nas-love, man-rage, but guess not. Now if your comment doesn't do it than nothing will. Oh and I meant it was bullshit because the stupid labels won't let them work together. Dumb.

yeah, i thought it was kinda obvious he meant the situation = bullshit, which again, ive heard horror stories of Jive alone all but tabling albums or just sending them to die (0% advertisement/hype) but not being able to come to terms with all that money on the table? why even sign 1/2 the team if you dont have that in the contract? again, i know nothing on the real terms here, but i feel i can assume boi/3k prolly signed their respective deals confident a team effort could still be dropped, given the stupid amount of money their last album made.

i feel nothing but pity for dudes that hear illmatic, lost tapes etc and feel nothing. troll harder, son!

what's ya'lls favorite Outkast album? its a tough call for me.

OH SNAP WHAT IS THIS

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI8rhTe9__o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI8rhTe9__o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI8rhTe9__o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Archived