Hondo's Bar

Anything with 'significant' events or deaths where the status quos the same by the end've the piece ain't worth shit to me. Spidey died for fuck's sake(Kraven's last Hunt counts since everyone thought he was dead for a few weeks or so) & miraculously returned. Shit like that's tired & cliched. I like the new costume though, & the Other entity itself was actually quite an insight. To use it again'll just cheapen it though.

Yeah, might be, and being that this was hyped as the "spidey dies" book, it was pretty much what you described there. It doenst get mentoined in books since. if it wasnt for what i put in the spoiler tags last post, i might forget it - though it was a clear springboard, in the last issue, for Tony & Pete's teamup in Civil War.

It had me hyped towards the end, talkin bout the possibilites of Peter's powers he hadnt thought of, but the ones he got, he used really arbitrarily, clearly for what might be the first & last time.

haha...i forgot bout that part. as well as the iron-aunt-may....

seriously though, werent the new powers kinda weak? At least its open the door for secondary-mutation type of shit, but spidey's not a guy i figured was in need of new abilities is the thing....even The Other just feels like backup if JMS runs outta enemies.

It wasnt horrible or as pointlessly odd as, say, Osborn retro-boinking Gwen, but i only had real fun with the Morlun fight and the ending.

Yeah, those where the highlights, but I truly think that it was a great moment for Spidey and Spidey fans! I've just grown so sick of the same ol' recycled storylines! Uncle Ben this, Gwen Stacy that... I just wished he'd get over that shit and move on! JMS found a way to do that AND put his own touch on the character (AND he had Peter kill someone, don't forget that)! It's what every writer dreams of doing! His name will go down next to Stan Lee, Steve Ditko, and John Romida in Spidey lore! It sounds stupid now and you think that this ain't gonna stick like the Spidey-Clone? Well, it is and let me tell you that in 10, 15 years when they Ultimize the Ultimate Universe, THIS'LL be in it! Trust me!

Edited by APANCHALYPSE NOW

haha..you mebbe right, tho i fear any ultimate ultimization.

ps

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The Other IS Peter! Everything's that happened up untill the point of his rebirth has been him as a child (not literally)... everything after is him as a MAN! He's not "Puny Parker" anymore fighting cause of the guilt of his dead uncle... he's continuing because he is a true hero! This was his "promotion" (I guess would be the word)! It's like he won a lifetime achevement award and this is the begining of a new era for him! Starting brand new and fresh!

Man, whatever with the Wolverine craps! I bet there was a DC character that we never heard of that had claws like 60 years ago (you know those DC characters are all old as shit)!

• 1 year later...

I dont get the fallout some fans are having; i still think Civil War was a great crossover. Bish can hate the ending all he wants.

That said, again, JMS is finishing his, i wanna say, 6+ year stint on Amazing with a huge bang. I dont know how much it ties in with "One more day" or whatever theyre quietly hyping, but ASM has been one of the most solid titles Marvel puts out since right before Civil War.

That said, JMS all but revitalized Spidey (mainstream, as ultimate spider-man was going by then, i think?) himself and brought back the supporting cast - May was already dead, MJ had left him. It doenst surprise me one bit to see JMS taking one, if not both, with him on his way back out.

because it was one of the actions.

You have to understand that Civil War was quietly going on long before Stanford. When the Illuminati exiled Banner (unilaterally, mind you) with the aid of SHIELD (specifically Fury)...it was kinda like the invasion of Czechoslovakia....no one did anything about it, but war was on the way.

Eh, it kinda ties in - he was off the map for the event because of it, now he's gonna be pretty much the biggest problem during the fallout...the Mighty Avengers cant even handle some chick Ultron right now, and thats with powerhouses like Sentry and Ares on their team. Hulk is going to fucking clean the floor with them, while the other half of the Avengers are hiding in Japan or something. If this doenst unify everyone back together, i dont know what will.

PS the difference in your analogy, arch, is that not many at all knew about it, and now that its coming to light, some (like She-Hulk) arent happy. i doubt the Sentry will be either, he was friends with him.

and you just wait till Thor shows up and finds out stark/reed were cloning hero-killer versions of him. hot diggity dog!

I've always felt that they exiled Hulk because they (the writers) didn't know how to incorporate him into Civil War.

Who's side would he take? (Caps). And depending on who they give him to, what would the outcome be? How much more devastation would there have been?

I think they just didn't want to deal with that problem.

A fair guess, but off the mark - World War Hulk, by Joe Q (editor-in-chief)'s account, was planned actually before Civil War, as its own thing. I think Bendis had the Illuminati idea for a while (and its a great one, im enjoying them tying all of Marvel history into it), and he and Millar both loved tying all their ideas together in the Ultimate U, so it looks like they just did that with their events here.

Though i would enjoy seeing Secret War, House of M etc tied up with all this whenever the desctruction/crossovers die down a bit.

ps Hulk's not fond of government intervention since the miltary chases him so much, so idve put money on him being anti.