Hondo's Bar

X-Men '97

The NZA

http://www.newsarama.com/Marvel/f_xmen161.jpg

Here

NEW X-MEN ANIMATED SERIES IN 2007

According to reports in Variety and a handful of Indian newspapers, a new X-Men animated series is on the horizon, scheduled for a summer 2007 debut.

The series will see Marvel team with Indian animation studio, First Serve Toonz, a joint venture between tennis star Vijay Amritraj’s First Serve International and Toonz Animation India Pvt. Ltd, whose CEO is P. Jayakumar,

First Serve Toonz has already begun production on 26 episodes while will combine 2D and 3D animation. The series will center on Wolverine. Both Marvel and First Serve will oversee the creative direction of the series; FST will manage international and television and DVD distribution, while Marvel will retain the distribution rights in the US, and a relationship similar to that between Marvel and France’s Antefilms, which is producing an animated Fantastic Four series.

“X-Men is one of Marvel’s crown jewels, and it makes sense to focus on the popular Wolverine character for our second animation project,” Marvel’s Avi Arad said in a release. “First Serve Toonz, one of the leading animation houses in the Indian animation market, was a natural choice for our first animation partnership in this creative and talent rich market.

Bruno Maglione, president of Marvel International added: “This is another step in Marvel’s strategy to team with leading animation production houses around the world in order to add a powerful TV animation plank to the coordinated multi-media promotion platform for our character franchises.”

“We are excited about our production deal with Marvel - a cutting edge global leader in children’s entertainment. Kids everywhere love the rough-edged and rebellious Wolverine character, and the X-Men franchise brings a range of themes and characters that appeal to a global audience. This will be a groundbreaking deal for the Indian entertainment industry,” Jayakumar said.

The project will be officially announced by Arad and FST chief executive Ed Borgerding at the annual Mipcom TV trade show in Cannes.

The new series will be the third take on the X-Men in animated form, following the inital animated series which ran from 1992-1997 on Fox for 76 episodes; and X-Men: Evolution, which ran for four seasons (52 episodes) beginning in 2000 on Kids WB, ending in 2003. X3, the third X-Men feature film is currently filming and due in theaters in May of 2006.

So hyped....on this note, i have the old WB series completely now, and gotta get around to watching Dante's copies of Evolution soon, too.

• 1 year later...

Thank God I was worng!!!

First Look: Wolverine & The X-Men

Marvel.Com is happy to present your first look at new images from Wolverine & The X-Men, along with good news for the True Believers in the UK! Liberation Entertainment has inked a deal with First Serve Toonz to acquire both the DVD and VOD rights to the 26 part animated series. Additionally, BBC has acquired the television rights to broadcast Wolverine & The X-Men in he UK.

"We are very glad to be involved in this first class original series, and to be working in partnership with Marvel and First Serve Toonz," said Jay Boberg, CEO of Liberation Entertainment.

Spencer Pollard, MD of Liberation Entertainment further explained, "Wolverine and the X-Men is a huge franchise and with the Wolverine movie planned for 2008, this should secure huge interest for our DVD releases. With the strong interest in the show from the leading broadcasters around the world, we can ensure that our TV sales team can work strategically with our UK and International DVD sales teams to maximize the returns for everyone

"Liberation is a young and aggressive company and we think they are the perfect team to sell Wolverine and X-Men around the world", said Ed Borgerding, principal of First Serve Toonz. "The show is a perfect combination of great storytelling, action and fantastic characters. It looks to be a show that will run and run."

Stay tuned to Marvel.Com for all the news on Wolverine & The X-Men and all your favorite Marvel projects!

1598new_storyimage0829654_full.jpg

X-men Evolution did take a while to get started but it was a very good show. The characters were well defined and it was very well written. The show didn't pull any punches when it came to the intensity of the situations; people died, minds were shatter, and characters were seriously hurt and we got to see the slow and painful recovery. It was rarely a cheesey kids show.

I don't consider the "The Batman" that's going on right now as crap. I do consider it very different from what everybody is used to. After all, we've had over a decade of WB animated DC universe brought to us by the great Bruce Timm. Finding something that not only looks different but feels different is a little shocking to everybody, but I've found if you give it a chance and take it at face value, it is very watchable.

Edited by Drifter

I actually have watched it, I saw the some of the first season, came back when they added Raobin and now with the Justice League. I'm just not impressed. The story's are dull, the voice acting and directing is of poor quality. I know it's not the comic book, but that where these character's come from, it would be nice if they gave this characters some of there actual atrributes instead of filling them with the standard charater molds of this is the bad guy and this is the good guy anf the side-kicks are always playing and witty. C'mon the direction they took with the joker, it jsut sucks, I applauded them for taking the time to try something new, but it just doesn't work. This new joker has no style or depth. and well with batman himself. All I can say is that if I wanted to watch a wonderfully dark and passionate character turn into a pop-watered down version of himself I would watch reruns of x-men evolution to see wolverine baby sit the x-babies. (Not the ones fromthe Mojoverse)

I admit, the show takes a while to get a good pace going with it's episodes each season, lord knows the first half-season of any show is mostly fluf. And there are things I'd wish they'd wrap up or expand upon which I feel are constatnly being ignored. That said, there are some of the most awesome episodes of any Batman cartoon I've ever seen in this show, I'd just wish it wasn't so few and far between.

Sason 4 ep. 49 "Seconds"

Edited by Drifter

It just doesn't do it for me. I feel that what should be expected out a Batman cartoon has already been achieved. That there's a certain standard of excellence that isn't anywhere near met with the new cartoon. The animations isn't anything new or exciting, the stylization of the costumes I think where all poor done. The Batman looks like he suffers for Down syndrome withthe massive sloping forhead of his cowl and Ms id from his posture when he's croutching. I'm not saying the Bruce Timm and the other guy can't do anywrong. (Just look at the new Superman: Doomsday) I'm just saying that the new show is all around substandard. Even the storylines of sorry quality, which all together, aren't that bad, they follow a very simple formula and get the job done to fill 22 minutes of airtime with flashing celluliod that doesn't require any thought. I just feel this show adds to the dumbing down of america, I have resorted to watching Jane and the Dradon and Veggies Tales on Sat. Mornings then to watch this show because it is so disappointing.

Agreed about The Batman (not about Superman/Doomsday...I kinda liked that one). I've seen a few episodes and just couldn't get into it. It's not the costumes or the different characterizations or the character design or the animation style. All of that I could go with. It's the writing. I just think the writing is terrible. The writing on the Timm series was always so good that I guess I was just expecting more from The Batman than the crappy early-90s Saturday morning cartoon writing that it seems to have. I understand that it's trying to be different from Timm's animated series but I just can't take "different" as an excuse for dumbed down.

Then again, if what you say is true, maybe I've just seen some of the crappy episodes. If so, there are just way too many of them for me to consider watching it much.

Edited by Silent Bob

All of these wounds shall become healed in time. I despised Spider-Man: Unlimited and Batman Beyond when they first came out, only when I rewatched them years later did I truly appreciate the quality. And I agree with X-Men Unlimited, it was stupid for the first half season then it just picked up steam and kept going... honestly it reminded me of Ultimate X-Men in that respect, I didn't like it at first but when I got into it I didn't want to stop.

• 6 months later...
Whoa I finally watched that trailer. Mojo? Wolfsbane? Domino? Maverick? I am fucking sold!

you missed Dust, Shiva and several others, but yes...what the fuck did i just watch, and when is it out?! that was ten kinds of awesome and might please my WB X-men-loving fanboy heart.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 years later...