Hondo's Bar

Shadow of the Colossus

endworld

To everyone that has ever played Ico in the past, this game is incredible. I found myself stunned at how graphically the designers were able to pull off such amazing effects. To have something that massive with such fluid movement blew my mind, and caused alittle mess in my pants a few times. I love this game like I did Ico, though Ico tugged at my heartstrings more than this game, or most games before it, ever have.

Rumors abound, those of you who have completed this game, have you heard or seen any of the "other" endings they say are possible?

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I've heard a few things about there being a "17th collosus" that once beaten unveils an awesome secret, and that if you eat the forbidden fruit on the top of the shrine you can deplete your health so much as to be beaten by the priests at the end. Anyone tried this? I'm leisurely going through hard mode at the moment, but they say you have to beat both hard and normal time attack and regular modes before the 17th appears...

Tell me what you guys think.

Edited by Axels

shit, my bad, didnt know what this one was about...

I had Ico, one of those short games i restarted like 10 times but never quite finsihed, had fun with tho, wish idve beaten it. This one's in that series, then? Looks gorgeous, either way...i liked the soundtrack on it as well.

Tell me what you guys think.

i honestly hadnt heard of the game before, and never actually played ico, but im currently getting together all my crappy games i dont want anymore for a gamestop run so i can get my own copy. the bit i played at your place rocked.

Edited by spycer

i honestly hadnt heard of the game before, and never actually played ico, but im currently getting together all my crappy games i dont want anymore for a gamestop run so i can get my own copy. the bit i played at your place rocked.

Oh? What games are you getting rid of?

I guess I should've added a bit more info.

The game itself is about..hm, I'm lazy:

Tales speak of an ancient land where creatures the size of mountains, roam the majestic landscape. Bound to the land, these creatures hold a key to a mystical power of revival - a power you must obtain to waken a loved one.

Shadow of the Colossus is a majestic journey through ancient lands to seek out and destroy gigantic mythical beasts. With your trusty horse at your side, explore the spacious lands and unearth each Colossi. Armed with your wits, a sword and a bow, use cunning and strategy to topple each behemoth.

From the original developers of the critically acclaimed ICO™, comes a masterpiece of an adventure.

Official Website

Beyond fighting each of the 16 collosi, the game itself has no futher enemies. The landscape is beautiful, and entirely devoid of any other creature besides yourself, random small lizards, and birds, which can all be killed maliciously if you desire. You can also cut off lizard tails and eat them. Mmm.

The collosi themselves can get very, very massive, up to around 300 ft at times, and the real time-consuming challenge of the game is (besides getting to them), figuring out how to kill them. I spent anywhere from 1-2 hours on the latter 6 trying to figure out their weaknesses. The environment in which you fight them also can play a vital role, because in some cases it can be used against them.

Like Ico, it is a relatively short game; I beat it in around 16 hours or so. After finished, however, it unlocks a second "hard mode" and "time attack mode," where you are given the chance to unlock other cool-ass weapons! And, maaybe, if you're good enough, alternate endings as well.

Plaaayy eeet

Having said that, I don't need to play ICO to tell you that, point blank, if you don't play Shadow of the Colossus, there is, indeed, something fundamentally wrong with you. Okay, maybe I'm kidding, but seriously, the odds of Sony dropping a first-party title better than this for the rest of the year are slimmer than a supermodel on the Atkins diet.

Taking place in a fantasy world, the game opens with a young man on a beautiful black horse riding with a lifeless young woman in tow. Whether she's dead or just comatose remains to be seen, but essentially, the unnamed hero must defeat a number of giant beasts, known as Colossi, in order to bring her back into consciousness. Armed with merely a bow, his horse, and a mystical sword that doubles as the indicator of where a Colossus is hiding, the hero must vanquish sixteen beasts with merely his wits and his tools. Sound simple? It is. But it's also deceptively complex at its core.

Played this at Dowe's, it fucking rocks.

it gets awkward at times and some of the jumps while climbing the colossi don't work too smoothly, but considering that the game works at all it's a small complaint.

I read that when the European version does get released it might have some extra features, and when it does I'll be the first to rub it in your face (unless you buy it before me)

17th Colossus and other treats...

Shadow of the Colossus Walkthrough and Hint Guide

aaa4nr.jpg

Edited by MusicManiac

REVIEW

B0009I6S0O.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Finished in a shade under 8 game hrs. Although on the short side.

What a fantastic game. The ending was an Ico-ish bit of story telling.

I would say it had some of the top bits of video game moments yet made.

The music, oh the score is fantastic, it kicks in when you first come upon a Colossus. When your running about trying to figure out what to do and how to go about it one piece plays, as soon as you latch onto said Colossus the music shifts, moves up a gear and becomes even more grand. Really if anything music helps you get further into what your trying to do, if that makes sense.

But ...

I had the feeling since about the third colossus that something was missing. "And thy next foe is" just left me feeling a bit cold after the 15th repetition.

This is so close to being perfection, its unreal but something was definitely missing. What the hell was it?

Colossus.jpg

At first the graphics were grainy and the lighting whites out much of the detail especially on long-range shots. This was soon over come as most of the Colossi battles were very detailed right down to their hair. The camera was also a bitch and a major complaint during game play. At times the character would take control himself and jump in the opposite direction as well as not being able to aim his weapon (especially the bow) accurately in some battle scenes.

Most of the Colossi battles are intense and the last guy… he’s a bitch to beat.

I loved colossi five and eight, but I think my all time favorite has to be number thirteen. That's the big long flying Sandworm one. Fucking incredible battle. The Hawk and the Sentry Minatour were pretty damn awesome as well.

statue03_003.jpg

Once you figure out the secret to beating a Colossus, and generally there is only one way to go about it, it's all about time management. How long does one have to charge a strike before the Colossus starts bucking you around? Where do you take the time to rest? Where can you run instead of crawl? Etc etc.It's not exactly that Colossus is a hard game, technically speaking. It's that it's very good at looking hard. The sense of mass and power that the creatures exude and the clumsy flailing of your little guy as he flops all over the place disguise the fact that you are simply holding down on one grip button and are attempting to perform a straightforward, if initially unknown, process.

shadowcolossus-thumb.jpg

This is similar to how games like Gradius and R-Type dazzle you with graphical awesomeness to distract you long enough to screw up.The over world is the same way. It's not nearly as massive as it happens to simply look massive; the place can be traversed in much less time than it takes to go from place to place in a Wind Waker sailboat or flying around at high speed in Morrowind, and the routes are fairly limited due to strategic canyon/plateau placement.However, a teacher told me that art is about creating convincing illusions; if so, this is certainly art. It's only after I had a chance to distance myself from the game that I had time to ponder this.

snapshot200503280105153jt.jpg

All in all though IMO, the best game to grace the PS2 this year next to God of War.

4/5 Pimps

:blink::yup::2T: :2T:

Edited by MusicManiac

• 11 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...