Hondo's Bar

Fables

Lycaon

Acch. Dipshits didn't have volumes 7 or 9 in stock but gave me 8. Got to the big reveal right after I posted here yesterday and as methodical as it was I dunno, I guess I was expecting something more grandiose. Picked up the 1st volume of Testament too, still trying to fill the gap of Y.

Notsomuch that, but just the origin story. I guess the

humble

nature of the Adversary befits a

subtle but thorough

rise to power, but I'd hoped for some kind of sociopathic flash, y'know? In terms of interesting villians(mind I'm still on book 6) I'm really intrigued by

Snow & Bigby's 7th son-sure it's less villian than unintentional monster, but Snow's cover-up is gonna be a hotpoint later, for sure

• 3 months later...

SO i'm still stting at the end of the SOns of the Empire trade, but currently reading 1001 nights and it's frigging amazing!! Still waiting patiently for vol 9 to come to Oz(I hate buying off amazon) so's I can start collecting single issues.

'Nother thing that's been niggling me for a while and I assuming hasn't been addressed in the 10-15 issues I've missed, WHat of Bluebeard? SInce a Fables' power/strength is based on popularity, and what with this pirate boom we've experienced in the last few years(YARGHS),

Sure there's no real need for him, but I'd love to see the fickle nature of popularity work in this way as it did for Jack, but obviously to a much more dramatic extent

'Nother thing that's been niggling me for a while and I assuming hasn't been addressed in the 10-15 issues I've missed, WHat of Bluebeard? SInce a Fables' power/strength is based on popularity, and what with this pirate boom we've experienced in the last few years(YARGHS),

Sure there's no real need for him, but I'd love to see the fickle nature of popularity work in this way as it did for Jack, but obviously to a much more dramatic extent

The idea of a Fable's power being based on popularity probably only works if the popularity is for a specific being (in this case, bluebeard, not pirates in general). Also, Bluebeard wasn't a pirate.

... And the popularity theory doesn't always work (as shown by Frau Totenkinder).

Well I don't really want to venture into spoiler territory(can't be arsed tagging), but Frau Totenkinder has shown to have her own very reliable source of power, and not to mention her*damnit*

existing as the almost generic evil behind almost every popular failure, while still not naming her personally(it's doubtful a native american shaman was christened/birthnamed 'Frau Totenkinder'

Bluebeard though, ties directly into that first point. Wait, he's not a Pirate? The first arc shows his brief backstory as a pirate lord or somesuch I thought? Well I guess that sinks that theory then(HAW!). If he WERE though, I reckon the same non-specific but powerful popularity would apply, and I think

Baba Yaga proved my point-sure she's named as a specific enitity, but the Frau proved much more powerful(admittedly due to skillful layering & placement of spells, yes, but the non-specific popularity has to come into play, surely?) and I think partially because who outside of Russia & Europe has heard of Baba Yaga? Call me on it, but I'd never heard of her or her chicken-legged hut prior to Fables.

Ah bollocks you're right. A wealthy aristorat with a hideous beard. Bah. I guess it's too much to ask that his modern day equivalent, the wealthy aristocrat with a hideous rug, Donald Trump's rise in popular culture'd do anything for him? :P

and I think partially because who outside of Russia & Europe has heard of Baba Yaga? Call me on it, but I'd never heard of her or her chicken-legged hut prior to Fables.

*raises hand*

Ah bollocks you're right. A wealthy aristorat with a hideous beard. Bah. I guess it's too much to ask that his modern day equivalent, the wealthy aristocrat with a hideous rug, Donald Trump's rise in popular culture'd do anything for him? :P

Not quite. Profiting off of people trying to escape the Homelands aside, Bluebeard got his money initially by being a serial monogamist in the most homicidal way.

• 4 years later...

So is anyone other than me keeping up with this? I'm enjoying Fairest (and I am endlessly thankful they finally ended that piece of shit Jack of Fables) and the current story seems to be getting things back on track finally, though I have no idea where they're taking this. And now for the spoilers:

They better not fucking kill Bigby, he's half the draw of the comic, I'm eagerly awaiting this new jackass to get beaten into a bloody pulp soon too. I wouldn't mind if the same thing happened to nurse Swineheart while we're at it. I still await the return of Boy Blue (they teased it in the Christmas issue for those who didn't catch it) and hope he's the ridiculous badass he was before he died.

Kinda bummed that Buffkin is outta the picture now, hopefully eventually the Fabletown crew will at least be able to find the business office again so they can get Frankenstein's head and all that back.

Also, for anybody who read the last issue of Fairest: Holy fuck, I knew that bastard wasn't dead! I'll admit that it's been so long I'd begun to give up hope, but I had a feeling. Here's hoping to get him back to the main book as soon as possible.

Man the stupid thing is I fell off at a pretty damned exciting point, I simply was distracted and always have trouble coming back to something like that. From memory the last thing I read was

Mr Dark? Post-War and those two fellas open the coffin containing who I figure to be the Bogeyman or at least the same kind of ambiguous monster much like Frau Totenkinder is the generic witch.

Seems as good a time as any to restart from scratch.