Hondo's Bar

Legend of Zelda movie

Acalis

Read the full article here

Nintendo Planning Zelda Movie? November 18, 2005

by: Ray Almeda

RUMOR REPORT: Reggie Fils-Aime claims that the company is already planning a Zelda film.

News hot off the gaming press include plans for making a motion-picture based on the undeniably beloved Legend of Zelda series. Mexican magazine Club Nintendo, basically the Spanish-language equivalent of Nintendo Power, quoted Nintendo executive vice-president of sales and marketing Reggie Fils-Aime as saying that the company is indeed planning a Zelda film.

Knowing that the magazine is fully supported by Nintendo themselves, it's difficult to question the authenticity of this report. In addition to this response in the maagzine's letters section, Fils-Aime also mentioned the current back-stage efforts on the Metroid movie. With that, there was also pre-done notions discussing a Zelda film after that, with another Mario motion-picture possibly following.

Although the news may be a bit disheartening knowing that the Metroid movie has yet to begin production, the Zelda film may still be possible if the Samus Aran-based motion picture proves anticipated and successful.

Take this piece of news with a grain of sort, although knowing that the possibility still remains will have gamers giddy for the years to come. 

As long as they don't let Paul WS Anderson anywhere near it, I'd give it a shot.

Don't be so hard on him, Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil were among the best video game adaptations so far...they weren't great, but he's no Uwe Boll. And have you seen Event Horizon?

Anyway a Zelda movie could be great or it could be pants but I'd still like to see them give it a go. Any casting choices? Top of my head, if they went for Ocarina of Time:

Adult Link: Orlando Bloom

Adult Zelda/Sheik: Keira Knightly

Gannondorf: Peter Stormare

A bit obvious but heh...

This movei could be almost as good as LOTR or even worse than Dungeons & Dragons or anywhere in between really.

Orlando Bloom as an elf? I just can't see it.

I wonder if Nintendo will be the next Marvel of the movie industry. They have dozens of characters, though not a one of them is more developed story/character wise as the most one-dimensional Marvel character. I can't wait for a Kirby movie, or a Donkey Kong movie to come off the heels of King Kong mania. And a Starfox live action movie has the potential to be the next Howard The Duck. We'll know they went to far went we see a Pilotwings movie.

Heh Peter Stormare would be interesting. An' c'mon, KOS, don't tell me you're using the mess that was Event Horizon to prove your point.  :) I'll grant you that the first Resident Evil movie wasn't bad for what it was, but other than that...

I'm not holding up Event Horizon as the greatest sci-fi movie ever but at least I nenjoyed the hell out of it, great mix of brit and international actors, good story and some of the best visual effects in context that I've seen...

Name me some better game movies than MK and RE, trust me, they're the best of a bad lot.

Final Fantasy was ok but I have trouble considering it a videogame adaption. And yes, if you want to compare them to other videogame movies, RE and MK are some of the better ones but they are still, in fact, pretty bad movies and a Legend of Zelda flick should be a good movie not just a movie that isn't quite as bad as the others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm...Bloom does look good in the part, though. If I was any actor-savvy I'd put in my two-cents, but all I can think about is that kid who played Peter Pan in the new movie, which brings about a more interesting question for me: Was that a chick or a dude!? I mean, really. I can't tell.

In either case that kid would be a horrible choice for a Link character. I just like Orlando Bloom in general..especially since last night. Don't ask me why.

There is this guy at my work named Michael who could pull off the part perfectly, and this girl named Sarah that would make a perfect, perfect Zelda, minus the sometimes odd-shaped nose I've seen in a few bits of artwork. Man...if only they'd do what I tell them... *coughlinkzeldacough* orgy. *coughcough* Whew.

We've got some great heads here...why not put 'em together and write our own script? And then film it!? Something like The Postal Service...a snailmail city-to-city clipfest, edited to horrible perfection. If we did that, Nick'd be great for the part.....

haha...i used to get that a bit when i was a kid, mostly prolly cause on scout trips, id go wandering off in the woods...anyway, thing is, plot-wise, i think its pretty wide-open. It wasnt until Zelda 64 they tried to talk about background like the origin of hyrule, its deities, etc. Its important to have this shit nailed down before some asshat just makes it the next beastmaster/he-man live action or some shit.

Hey, post pics of your work-friends if ya can, Endy. Also, how accurate would you want this on screen? LOTR showed the elf-ears can be pulled off alright, but i dont know about the green hood, white stocking-like leggings, etc. Master Sword'd be awesome, tho.

Hell yeah...its hard to really get into Gannonondorf & the triforce of Power if you dont, because...

...ok, i still have the Nintendo Power Zelda comics, and a VHS with the old cartoon that came on fridays of the Mario Bros show, so im just gonna go over to blargh before i really show my hand here.

I think they could pull off the costume just fine. Just think of the Ocarina costume older link had, where it wasn't really tights, and if they made the green more of a dusty earth green like they did with, say, the green elven cloaks in LotR it would look just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
prolly as close as we're gonna get.

This would've made one awesome movie! I'm surprised no one is pitching this idea. I'd love to see a Zelda movie, especially if done in 3-D just like they did for Beowulf. And definitely the movie would have to be based off either Ocarina of Time like this fan-preview, or maybe based on A Link To The Past.

Archived