Hondo's Bar

Sleeper hits

bishopcruz

Honestly I'd pick up the latest PC versions Ys Complete from Falcom, its a little pricey, but the packaging (at least the one I have) rocks my socks AND there is a complete translation patch available online. These updated versions are simply incredible, and they are a guide to how to do a remake of a classic game.

Actually I lied, Oath in Felghana, the remake of Ys III using the Ys VI engine is the guide to how to remake a game, it took the worst game in the series and turned it into possibly the best. Absofriggenlutely incredible.

Edit by bishopcruz: Just merged Memory lane with 'The Best Games you never played."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good call, bishop, and contrags on bein the first mod to figure out that ability, as i recall.

i was gonna say i miss inovation, like this one called The Haunting (i think?) on genesis where you chase poeple out of their house, but this katamara game's a hoot.

i do, however, wish there were more 2P co-op games out there. Ill let someone else highlight Gunstar Heroes, as i spent many a quater at the bowling alley's Bonanza Bros, this awesome caper game:

53_2.png

1072446690.jpg

Bonanza%20Bros.gif

for my money...you can only wail on your freinds for so long. Now, if you got a good buddy or sibling, you can get endless hours out of games like thsi, or classics in the same vein, like Spy vs Spy, Rampage, etc. Id even throw Toejam & Earl into this genre of games that you dont really play to beat, so mcuh as you do to just have a good time with a freind.

Just make a shout out to this NES gem, it was harder than snot but it kicke major butt. I have heard it was based off of an anime or manga, but was never able to find out more information on it.

clashatdemonheadbox.jpg

deadjoe.gif

This was a great side scroller, and I think it was ahead of its time, not only did it have great action, but it had a twisted sense of humor.

• 1 year later...

This was a great thread. Came across a few names i dont know shit about, thought id ask for info/experince if anyone's played em:

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey (Xbox), Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (360 - someone swore by it),

LocoRoco (PSP)

WTF, Nintendogs (DS - taken from here)

WTF is PSP IIRC. Nintendogs is alright, not really my cup o tea, but it started the whole non-games thing that has nintendo going strong to this day.

Dreamfall I hear is suppoed to be an awesome adventure game, haven't heard much else, it's backwards compatible so maybe I'll check it out. UMK3 is UMK3, a perfect port of the game, if oyu liked it back in the day, you probably sitll will.

• 4 months later...

Bish, i need to borrow your PSP again, i found LocoRocco on the Jap PSN and it looks free but its asking to hook up a PSP, was hoping i could just play it like a PS1 title...anyway.

Few titles i wanted to ask about that i'd heard about recently:

Incredible Crisis (PS1) - Im this close to just picking this up for $5 on ebay. Even Sen & Los seemed to have enjoyed it, i never got a chance to play, sadly.

No One Can Stop Mr. Domino! (PS1) - Puzzle game, anyone ever get to play it?

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth (PS1) - Atlus title, so newt might know...heard it got a DS port this year.

Omikron (Dreamcast) - the other title from Quantic Dream, that team that Bish got me into after Farenheit/Indigo Prophecy. Heard/seen nothing on it, might look for it online.

Killzone (PS2) - How was this, really? Some people think after the trailer to part 2 this is what Sony's putting up against Halo, instead of, say, Resistance.

its a shame i never knew anyone in the DC import scene, was curious bout Roomania and a few. Also,i still gotta find a copy of Herc's Adventure for PS1 one day, its the same engine i love from Zombies Ate My Neighbors.

PS did anyone ever get to play Vib Ribbon? I heard nothing but good about it, but it was an import i could never find back then...there's rumors of it coming to PSN, that'd be so great.

Incredible Crisis (PS1) - Im this close to just picking this up for $5 on ebay. Even Sen & Los seemed to have enjoyed it, i never got a chance to play, sadly.

PICK UP THAT GAME ASAP! In fact pick up a copy for me as well.

No One Can Stop Mr. Domino! (PS1) - Puzzle game, anyone ever get to play it?

See above.

Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth (PS1) - Atlus title, so newt might know...heard it got a DS port this year.

Comes out in July. I just hope they fixed all Annoying shit that kept this game from being fun.

Later today your going to find out how hard Killzone is when I bring it over.

• 7 months later...

bm1178video-games-posters.jpg

just in case bish, newt or others who've played any of these come by, here's a page of '07's sleeper hits.

1) Crush (Sony PSP)

Poor Crush, that game didn’t stand a chance. Considering it was so close to the release of Super Paper Mario, Nintendo Fanboys all over the internet had shouted the innovation of changing a 2-D plane into 3-D was Nintendo’s. Well in fact Crush had made it part of its core gameplay mechanic (which Super Paper Mario did not) and executed the mechanic much better in its many puzzles. On top of that the art direction and the story was surprisingly very intriguing being centered around a insomniac named Danny who is trying to collect his marbles in each level (literally). If you have a Sony PSP, this game at least deserves look.

2) Eternal Sonata (Xbox 360)

Japanese RPGs are hard to come by on the Xbox 360, so one would expect fans of those types of games to jump on the chance when one is actually released on their system, right? Well, then again how many Japanese RPG fans buy an Xbox 360. Never the less Eternal Sonata’s unique, intuitive battle system and the beautiful art design really makes that game stand out from most Japanese RPGs this year. The game takes place in a dream of famous music composer, Fredrick Chopin when he is on his death bed; weird I know but the story is surprisingly heart warming regardless. With talks of this game being ported to the Playstation 3 with additional content, I hope the change of scenery will help spread a better awareness of this game.

3) Super Stardust HD (Playstation 3)

With the ridiculous amount of dual-stick shooters on the market it is not surprising to see another dual-stick shooter being labeled as another Geometry Wars clone. But what PS3 owners know that most people don’t is that this is not just another run of the mill dual-stick shooter. In fact Super Stardust HD is much more then that. With the game being sectioned off into levels (spherical planets to be exact) and a currency gathering system used to upgrade your ship and weapons you can find hours of your life disappear without even knowing it! Not to mention, with an HD setup, it is one of the best looking downloadable games you can get on any console.

4) Sam and Max: Season 1 (PC)

Tell Tale Games did the impossible; they created a successful distribution channel to prove that episodic content is possible and made a franchise that was once beloved by many relevant once again. And to that good Sirs, my hat is off to you. But for some reason, Sam and Max: Season 1 seems to be missing in everyone’s list as one of the games of the year. I am not sure if it is the adventure game style formula that has gone the way of the dodo or not. But with sharp, funny dialogue and small enough episodes that can each be finished in an afternoon this is one adventure that is worth praising about.

5) Red Star (Playstation 2)

It’s sad to see Red Star not getting the attention that originally it had gotten. Considering the long troubled history that it went through to get developed (originally published by Acclaim Entertainment until it became shelved by the effects of their bankruptcy to be resurrected once again by publishers XS Games two years later). The story is based on a graphic novel that takes place in an alternate universe of the once Soviet Union. But to be honest, the story is not the main attraction; it’s the franticly awesome gameplay. The game being a cross between an old school beat-em up and a top-down shooter, fans of retro gaming would do them selves a favor and pick this title up.

6) Planet Puzzle League (Nintendo DS)

Any real fan of puzzle games would know that Tetris Attack (SNES) and Pokemon Puzzle League (N64) are some of the best puzzle games ever to be released on any console. So it is not a far stretch to say that Planet Puzzle League for the DS, which is the next iteration of the games stated above, is one of the best puzzle games you will ever play. With online or WiFi capability to play from a single cart for head to head action and the new touch screen controls this is by far the best in the long line of great puzzle games. This game is pure gaming nirvana for any puzzle fan.

7) Track Mania United (PC)

What do you get when a game that harks back to the days of R.C. Pro AM for the NES and mix it with crazy 3-D track designs pushed by cult like fans of the game; one of the best arcade racing games to come out in years. Surprisingly enough what makes Track Mania United so special is not the cars (which many racing games tend to focus their attention towards), but the unique user created tracks tend to give the game legs. Whether it is the insane roller coaster monstrosity or a branching track with multiple pathways to the finish line makes this an undiscovered racer in which everyone should try out.

8) Odin Sphere (Playstation 2)

As the game industry started embracing 3-D gaming in the late 90’s many niche 2-D genres that were once popular have been left to the way side. One of those genres were the 2-D beat-em ups that had littered arcades in the past; but if the genre was still alive today, Odin Sphere would be the beat-em up’s evolution to Next-Gen. It mixes classic brawler action with RPG elements, which make a surprisingly deep and involving story. With the best 2-D graphics coming from any game this year and solid gameplay elements, these are the games that seem to make the Playstation 2’s lifespan seem longer and longer.

9) Lunar Knights (Nintendo DS)

While Kojima Productions is still hard at work with the next Metal Gear Solid many had seemed to overlook one of the best action-adventure games to come out all year from that same studio. Lunar Knights is part of a great Bankai series that was on the GameBoy Advance, that played with the idea of the game being different depending if you are playing it in day or night. Also the game features one of the most bizarre/interesting ideas of having the main concept being a Legend of Zelda inspired gameplay with the theme of vampires in space. If you like anything said in the last sentence whether it be vampires, space, or Legend of Zelda inspired gameplay; you would be a fool to pass this one up twice.

10) Overlord (PC; Xbox 360)

Overlord is not necessarily an original idea; Nintendo basically had the same idea over four years ago with Pikmin. But what Overlord lacks in original game design, it makes it up with just sheer fun. I can not begin to explain to you the joy you get when you get your minions to pummel a village to the ground with no reason what so ever. And not to mention, the evil gremlin like minions which do your bidding in the game are one of the most funny and memorable characters to come out this year far none. I doesn’t matter if they are terrorizing villagers or ransacking houses, every action they do in the game seems to have a certain memorable quality to it. Also it is really interesting that you can never really be a good guy in the game, you are just varying degrees of evil. Who knew being the villain could be so much fun!

11) Jeanne D’Arc (Sony PSP)

This is one of those games that I truly believe if it was on the Nintendo DS or on the Playstation 2 it would have gotten a lot more attention then it did. The game is loosely based on the historical French heroine Joan of Arc and her involvement in The Hundred Year War. The gameplay is a strategy RPG, much in the vein of the classic Playstation classic Final Fantasy Tactics. I myself have played the game for countless hours and still have not even scratched the surface of the deep gameplay mechanics which surround the entire game. From the beautifully animated cutscenes to the deep involving gameplay, there is a timeless quality to the game that in a few years could very well become a cult classic.

12) Zak and Wiki: Quest for Barbaro’s Treasure (Nintendo Wii)

Every year videogame reviewers get on their soap boxes and try to get behind a lost cause to inform the general gaming public about a certain game. From the past years being Eternal Darkness to Psychonauts to Okami; this year’s game is Zak and Wiki. Primarily a point-and-click puzzle game at heart, Zak and Wiki is one of those rare games for the Wii that is a non-Nintendo published titles worth owning. If you yearn for the point-and-click adventures of yester year or have finished Super Mario Galaxy and have nothing else to play for the Wii; Zak and Wiki is begging you to play it.

13) World in Conflict (PC)

Ever wonder what the world would be like if the Soviet Union didn’t fall and if the Cold War wasn’t that cold? World in Conflict asks that question in one of the best RTSs to come out in 2007. Not only is the premise of the game the most original to come out in many years, but in my mind this is a strategy game that finally got it right; they did away with resource gathering! With resource gathering left on the wayside, all that is left is an action heavy RTS that is accessible to newcomers, yet deep enough for veterans of the RTS genre to enjoy.

14) Bomberman Live (Xbox 360)

It is hard to believe this one almost didn’t make the list; with many aspects of the game sharing with the old classic Saturn Bomberman I was almost considered the game as another remake! But after breaking out the old Sega Saturn to play Saturn Bomberman and then going back for a few rounds with Bomberman Live, you come to the conclusion the game is more of a spiritual sequel to the game then a remake of it. And trust me they are better off for it! One of the best, experiences in Xbox Live you could possibly have with any game. If it’s not constantly changing your bomberman avatar with new apparel or playing eight man multiplayer matches over Xbox Live, there is something here for everyone. Plus this game seems to fit the Xbox Live service perfectly with the ability to have a few quick matches with your friends in between bouts of Halo 3 or Call of Duty 4.

15) Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (Playstation 2)

With one of the deepest wrestling games finally coming stateside for only $15.00 or less, it is hard not to fall in love with Fire Pro Wrestling Returns. Many might fault the game for the game’s 2-D graphics, but at its heart it has one of the deepest grappling systems ever seen in any wrestling games. Yet what makes this game so special is not necessarily the hundreds of wrestlers you can choose from or the even the many match types found in the game. What makes the game special is the little customization details that make the game seem complete like choosing different type of referees, attacking the winner after the match is done, or the ability to customize venues or create your own dream wrestling card. The bottom line is this is one of the best wrestling games out there, 3-D or not!

16) Virtua Tennis 3 (PC, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Sony PSP)

Back in the old Sega Dreamcast days Virtua Tennis was one of those flagship games that showed off the graphical power of the Sega Dreamcast and it didn’t hurt that it was also one of the best tennis games ever made. Ten years and a sequel later, it is surprising to me how much little fanfare there was with the new Next-Gen Virtua Tennis, Virtua Tennis 3. Regardless what system you want to pick this up for, you are getting one of the most solid spots titles to come out this year. Also, much like its predecessor, on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 the game has the ability to output in 1080p which makes for one of the best looking games on any system. Not to mention with the many gameplay modes like the crazy mini-games in Court Games Mode, a quick game in Arcade Mode, or even the deeper play of World Tour Mode there is always something for everyone.

17) Power Pro Baseball (Playstation 2 and Nintendo Wii)

Don’t let the cute exterior fool you, this is one of the deepest stat based and ultra-realistic bat physics baseball games to come out all year. Having a huge cult following in the States, to my knowledge, this is the first time the franchise has ever been released outside of Japan. What sets apart this baseball game from the rest of the pack is the RPG like Season Mode. In this mode you pick an MLB licensed team and try to win a World Series with that team controlling basically every aspect of the team’s operations. Whether it is getting better equipment for your team, keeping players happy so they don’t go to another team for more money, or picking new players for your farm system and training them to be future stars of tomorrow; this is a game for that hardcore baseball fan. Also all stats in Season Mode is kept for ten seasons, which tracks both individual and team stats. If you are a hardcore baseball fan, this game is definitely a must buy.

18) Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (Nintendo DS)

Initially this game was being hailed as a sleeper hit earlier in the year, but even after a lackluster library of games that came out for the Nintendo DS; this game seems to be eluding many best of lists when it comes to DS games. With a pulp detective noir type story and one of the first games that made keeping a notepad in the game actually useful; this point-and-click adventure gets better and better as you go deeper into the game. Also with multiple endings the game screams for multiple play throughs. With the DS’s close screen functionality and gritty graphic novel style, this game could be looked at as a digital book as much as a videogame; which makes it perfect for those long train rides to work.

19) Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (Playstation 2)

With out knowing anything about this game two things can be inferred right off the bat; one is that the game is very dark and the second that it is very Japanese. These two aspects do not really scream “play me” to western audiences. Regardless of that fact, Persona 3 is one of the deepest and quite possibly the best Japanese Role Playing game to come out this year. Half dungeon crawler, half high school sim; there is nothing like it right now in the gaming market.

20) Desktop Tower Defense (PC)

Yes, I know this game is only a flash game. And yes I know you can play this game for absolutely free online. And yes, I do know this game makes other casual games seem like deep gameplay experiences. But I ask you; if you can play this game without being strangely drawn to it, you are a better man then most people. Still with the perfect mix of accessibility and deep strategy this game could stop productivity in office cubicles all over the country!

ok, so, played the demo for sonata, and its pretty but im just not inna mood to grind, i think sen's waiting on that one for PS3. Persona 3 caught my attention way more, im a few hours into that one, but its on the backburner too. Stardust, i had fun but man, only Newt can get far in that, it seems. Sam & Max'd be fun if i was a PC gamer, Desktop Tower sounds cool too, oughta try that one. Newt gave me Red Star, which i sadly have yet to play but now have more reason to do so, Odin Sphere is on its way here (thank ye, gamefly), Overlord demo just finished yesterday, Zack & Wiki i really dug but im waiting till its $30 to buy, Jean 'darc waits till i get a PSP one day, Bomberman Live is great but man am i a big fish in a small pond in that game, Virtua Tennis is more sen's thing, and finally, Hotel Dusk also waits till i get the right system, but Space Cowboy reallly got me interested in that one.

Of that list, all I've played are Sam & Max and Hotel Dusk (I was all set to make myself a Hotel Dusk Hondos theme but then space cowboy joined...meh). Can you tell I'm one of those poor bastards who still pines for the glory days of mid-90s adventure games?

Anyway both games are quite good. Sam & Max is on Season 2 now, and so far it's even better than the first set of games. I love Telltale.

i know my fear of PC gaming isnt logical, but i do so wish adventure games like that got console ports once in a while. Newt gave me the old Sam & Max disc years back, never got it to work.

heh, funny, idve not know Space took your thunder there. While were at it, i dig the current Joker one.

HO-LY-SSSHHHHH*BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!*

what a topic...ok where do i frickenbegin????

excuse my typos this time around im so excited i mite not be able to hit my spacebar hard enuff... o and forgive the run on sentences :D

ok i Luved to play so many games back in da day so ill just give you my top 12 :ohface: (12 cuz 10 just wasnt enuff)

NUMBER 12!!!!!!!!!!: Kirby Superstar] Indeed kirby, This 1 inparticular allowed you to have a helper that would just totally annihilate enemies for you AND every power obtained had at least 3 moves or more (thats way too many to count btw). Also 9 games in one... who could ask for more. I never got tired of pwnin baddies in this 1... especially with the variety of game play... so many different scenarios its impossible to go thru them all (well... and keep count that is ;)

NUMBER 11!!!!!!!!!!: Panzer Dragoon Saga] All i gotta say is... wow... This game gives you a dragon and as you decide what area of statistic you wanted to focus its strengths, the dragon would evolve accordingly (and the designs totally made sense!). There was such an analogous amount of dragon designs it was uncanny. That is until you got to the end whereyou would find the ultimate dragon and secretly the original dragon (which was the sickest of them all) Let alone it being a 4 disc Shooter/RPG the game focused upon the different evolutions of the dragon and the strategy needed in order to advance respectively. I loved this game! that is until I found a defect in my version that drove me ABSOLUTELY INSANE. This game is still worth about $200 especially in mint condition as i likem ;) one of the last and rarest Sega Saturn games to this day.

NUMBER 10!!!!!!!!!!: Shining Force III: The only sad part about this game is that the continuations of this story (scenarios 2, 3, and the $200 bonus disc) are untranslated and totally hard to find... well i have all of them except the bonus disc. Also theres the little fact that FFTactics got their gameplay ideas from this port. I luv that game (especially the gba version) but I enjoyed this 1 the more than the other "tactic-esque" games.

NUMBER 9!!!!!!!!!!: Chrono Trigger] my goodness... i think i just oozed myself thinkin about how interactive this game was. Before there was squareEnix there was squaresoft. On top of being mad expensive when just released, I musta put a total of 65823023529038752 months worth of crude hours into this game. there was just so much to discover and someone new to obtain every level (let alone the vast amount of weapons there were. There is a ton to say abou tthis game, especially the word "BRAVO MUTHA@*#%!!!!" I loved everything about this game, But what got me most of all was the story, sad and glorifying all at once... Ive never experienced anything like it... Im still workin on beating Chronocross til this day (slowly but surely ;)

NUMBER 8!!!!!!!!!!: Legend of Zelda 3: a link to the past] This game is to die for. hands down. The best RPG (let alone action RPG) I have ever had the priviledge of playing. In other words, the best Zelda game in my opinion. Need I say more?

NUMBER 7!!!!!!!!!!: Marvel Superheroes Vs. Streetfighter] I have the best memories of this gameas I was and still am if I could, a straight arcader. Im the SHIZNAT in this game Let alone any other capcom Vs. game) This one in particular had me waiting and drooling so bad with this newly introduced tag system since X-men Vs. The game was pretty much balanced until, that is, before people started exploiting infinites like any other capcom game before they make a new one. However I never stuck around to be in a tourny (wether i won or lost) where people new the long infinite combos so this 1 is my favorite. music and replay quality is never endingly AWSOME of course, especially when you discovered a new combo. But that goes with any capcom Vs game.

NUMBER 6!!!!!!!!!!: Capcom Vs SNK] Parts 1, 2, and pro for dreamcast only of course (perfect translation since they were all made with the naomi board ...and yes i am crazy into imports) These games are somewhat an apology to imbalance but they still fail. I like the original more than the sequel for the true-to-streetfighter/KOF gameplay and the str8 import of original music form classic games like final fight, street fighter, KOF, Darkstalkers, Fatal Fury, and samurai Showdown. I liked part 2 but I had to unlock the special features in order to take advantage of chain combos and creating my own sick ass colors.

NUMBER 5!!!!!!!!!!: X-men Children of the Atom] an arcade port that defined the art of fighting games for years to come as it was the first fighting game to introduce combos in the air. Let alone this game being sick, The stages were totally destructable (this game is were mortal combat got their "uppercut through stages idea). Goodness ... this game was sik and I still play it to this day just for key matchups like Juggernaut, Spiral, Colossus, and Sentinel... well... in particular. Also this was probably one of the last games were capcom didnt get lazy on their music (tho all of their games have stellar music b4 SFA3). This game is classic and most memoralbe as it was released during the animated series on fox where the voices where also taken.. So sik :'-)

NUMBER 4!!!!!!!!!!: MEGAMAN 3] yes I own the original ports of every Megaman to share the original storyline including all the X's, Zero's and GB tangents, but I do not have MegaMan ZX or any of the X's past X6 as I cant see myself buying anything anything but a ps3 and DS since 2001 (yes I read up on the Ps3 in Wired magazine in 2001 as its prototype weighed over 150lbs)

okokok... anywayz... part 3 because music is sik action is non-stop it gets ridiculously hard but not so much anymore, and the souls of the part 2 bosses return in a ridiculous way (almost impossible to beatem with the part3 boss weapons ..megaman fans like it that way ;)/ Story also sik with the debut or protoman and the reallyreally short lived breakman... WOOT

NUMBER 3!!!!!!!!!!: The Punisher Arcade Game] WOOT. the reason I have this one up so high is because I LOVE comics; moreover MARVEL comics. And this game brought a tear to my eye everytime i played its magnificence :'-) (excuse me i HAVE SUMTHIN IN MY EYE! >,<) *sniff*... anyway this game... omg this game... let alone there being THWAKs!* and POWs!* while showing unholy merciless rage against the badguy-thugs, there were machine guns, blood, greeeenadaaaaz!, and sik special moves that took some of your energy once you pulled them off. O and it stayed true to classic arcade action gameplay via fiding whole turkey dinners and pot roasts under a rock, barrel or pile of tires WOOT! o and 1 of the awsome features... Once some1 pulls a gun on u.. oooooomaaaan its so on... Frank Castle and Nick Fury are the fastest guns in the west and u NEVER RUN OUTTA BULLETS! omg theres sumthin in my eye again :'-(

NUMBER 2!!!!!!!!!!: Metroid] Need I go on? Of course I prefer the original storylines: Metroid, return of Samus, Super, and Fusion. But of course the new ones are sik as Blankittyblank too. Who knew using a chik could feel so rite ;) i know bad joke. But I've never gotten bored of playing this game... instant addiction.

NUMBER 1!!!!!!!!!!: Guardian Heroes] *bowsdowntoridiculouslyaddictinggame* This game my friends is totally sick. I'm not gonna go into how badass the Sega Saturn was controller and perfection of 2D grafics fluidity... But I will say that Treasure is oneof the SICKEST game companies on the face of this planet. They usually hybrid the most popular genres and make them instant CLASSICS (Radient Silvergun, Guardian heroes, Gunstar Heroes just to name a few) Look up any of these games on ebay and your eyes are going to start burning. this game in particular, let alone its an action game where you gain levels and skills, is totally interactive. Depending on how you respond to sertain situations pretty much lets you decide on who you fight and what stage you end up on... and each level... my god.. straight slaughter fest. You can have up to 6 players at a time and every stage has a depth of 3 layers so that you can fight in the background as well. Now too good to be true rite? well IT AINT! :ohface: O.. wait... there is one thing... the story is totally misc. just like every other one of treasures games.. but thats a total forethought once you start playing this SIK ASS GAME. its on Saturn and GBA but the saturn port (the original) is so expensive now Im not able to afford an un-scrathed verison of it... Even though my cd plays perfectly let alone bein scratched.

the end :'-)

Holy crap I totally didnt catch the key word in the topic title... but there are some rare 1s in that list. Any who 2 games that you guys probably never played but will enjoy:

how about Mischief makers for the N64 (treasure)

mischief_makers_image6.jpgMischief%20Makers%2001.jpg

or

MegaMan Suepr Adventure (Super Adventure Rockman) for the sega saturn?

sarockf.jpgsarockman011.jpgsarockman076.jpgsarockman021.jpg

If anyones played either 1 especially that last 1 ill be sincerely impressed ;)

Conker's Bad Fur Day - One of the very few M-rated games for the N64 and, as I recall, Rare's last game for the platform. The story follows a cute cartoon squirrel named Conker as he tries to recover from a major hangover while making it home to his big-chested girlfriend. Antics ensue, including more movie spoofs, rude jokes and cursing than you think they could possibly fit into an N64 game. When Rare was acquired by Microsoft, they developed a remake for the Xbox that is even better than the original. It adds some more content to the game, an impressive multiplayer option and completely redesigned visuals that are so good it's still one of the best looking games to ever come out on the Xbox. I hope we'll see Conker again someday.

N64

conkers_0221_screen001.jpg

Xbox

914940_20050602_screen017.jpg

Conker's Bad Fur Day - One of the very few M-rated games for the N64 and, as I recall, Rare's last game for the platform. The story follows a cute cartoon squirrel named Conker as he tries to recover from a major hangover while making it home to his big-chested girlfriend. Antics ensue, including more movie spoofs, rude jokes and cursing than you think they could possibly fit into an N64 game. When Rare was acquired by Microsoft, they developed a remake for the Xbox that is even better than the original. It adds some more content to the game, an impressive multiplayer option and completely redesigned visuals that are so good it's still one of the best looking games to ever come out on the Xbox. I hope we'll see Conker again someday.

N64

conkers_0221_screen001.jpg

Xbox

914940_20050602_screen017.jpg

Conker's Bad Fur Day was an awesome game. I wish I had been able to finish it, and had been able to play the sequel. One thing's for damn sure, though: I'll be acquiring an X-Box before I get the non-backwards compatible X-Box 360 (for Conker and for Fable, which also rocked).

Super Mario RPG was also a great game.

COnker ports fine onto the 360. Bob, did you somehow secretly find the original multiplayer mode hidden in the Xbox version? Sadly I was mostly over platformers when my gf at the time was playing conker on the 64(though the fecal-based boss' poo song still remains one of my favourites to sing when drunk ;) ), but the multiplayer on that, I still maintain was a strong rival for goldeneye. Huge maps, great weapons, addictive engine and miller-Batman references(I've never heard the term 'Balls-nasty' outside of DKR or Conker). I was hoping to find that multiplay on the Xbox version but didn't see it so didn't bother continuing with the game.

I think he acknowledged afterward that he hadn't noticed the 'sleeper' part of it til after he posted. I don't think I played a whole lot outside the mainstream this year... Just about everythig on the 360 released in Oz had rotation on my box but I can't think of anything decent that didn't get love.

Bish, i need to borrow your PSP again, i found LocoRocco on the Jap PSN and it looks free but its asking to hook up a PSP, was hoping i could just play it like a PS1 title...anyway.

Few titles i wanted to ask about that i'd heard about recently:

Killzone (PS2) - How was this, really? Some people think after the trailer to part 2 this is what Sony's putting up against Halo, instead of, say, Resistance.

PS did anyone ever get to play Vib Ribbon? I heard nothing but good about it, but it was an import i could never find back then...there's rumors of it coming to PSN, that'd be so great.

Both are amazing... I can't plug killzone enough... Vib ribbon was great too...

But yeah..

SUPER METROID FTW!

Beyond Good & Evil - One of the best action/adventure games that nobody played. Great characters, lots of fun, not many buyers. I know one person who was a big fan, though - Peter Jackson. He insisted on getting the same development team when it came time to put out a game version of his King Kong remake (that game was also quite good, though incredibly different from BG&E).

561647_front.jpg

beyond_screen004.jpg

By the way, Skeet, no I didn't find the N64 multiplayer mode anywhere on the xbox version, but the game has a brand new Team Fortress style multiplayer mode in it right from the start.

• 11 months later...

Giants: Citizen Kabuto - An action platformer with 3rd-person shooter and real-time strategy elements with just a bit of Rampage style gameply mixed in to make things interesting. You played as 3 characters: Baz - The leader of a group of cockney aliens who crashlanded on this strange planet that wear blue armor with jetpacks and carry lots of guns, Delphi - One of the natives who has a scimitar, bows, and a lot of magic spells, and Kabuto - A giant monster thing that you pretty much use to tear shit up. In several levels you also got these little aliens called Smarties that assist you and they build bases with fortifications and buildings that sell powerups and weapons and such for you and eventually can even launch attacks from. It was by the same company that did MDK and Armed and Dangerous but it was in my opinion a much better game than really both combined.

Valkyrie Profile - definitely on my list, between you & kotaku's review.

Ogrebattle - you can keep your endless RTS', sir.

Front mission III - mechs. meh!

JoJo's bizarre adventure - this game was insane. i felt uneasy for days after it. shit was fun.

Arc the lad I-III - aw cmon, the whole freakin' trilogy? was the plot/character any better than say, breath of fire?

Giants: Citizen Kabuto was indeed an awesome game.

I said Valkyrie Profile not Valkyria Chronicles

Ogrebattle: fair enough

Front mission III:Game's harder and longer then FFT.

JoJo's bizarre adventure: Can't believe you remember that game

Arc the lad I-III: Seeing how it's one long story broken into 3 game then I'm going to have to say yes that it is better then breath of fire.

And add Valkyria Chronicles as a sleeper hit

Archived