Hondo's Bar

Captain America

The NZA

You're both right! Thanks baytor and Spacecowboy! How could I forget "THE AGENT CARTER" is Peggy. pinch.gif

Okay, it all makes sense now about Sharon (except how she got old though. And the sentient cosmic cube, I don't even...

Looking forward to hopefully a good story arc that explains all this wackiness with Cap's 180 on Hydra.

To quote last weeks episode:

"In this world, in the reality we live in - we hear daily news reports about how women in comics are not only under represented but sexually harassed at the jobs they dreamed of having since they were children. We hear stories about how minorities are under represented both on and OFF the page. These things should be what causes our outrage. This is what is important, not what the Marvel plot twist of the week is (that will surely sort itself out). It’s time to re-prioritize a little bit, don’t you think?"

To quote last weeks episode:

"In this world, in the reality we live in - we hear daily news reports about how women in comics are not only under represented but sexually harassed at the jobs they dreamed of having since they were children. We hear stories about how minorities are under represented both on and OFF the page. These things should be what causes our outrage. This is what is important, not what the Marvel plot twist of the week is (that will surely sort itself out). It’s time to re-prioritize a little bit, don’t you think?"

Yeesh, that's a bit soap-boxy. People come to places like Hondo's (and I imagine listen to your podcast) BECAUSE OF their passion for minutia and details with these characters. I absolutely cannot hate on a Cap fan who is genuinely upset by this and wants to discuss it and/or vent. It's meant to stir up controversy and talk among the fans. Countering someone's desire to talk about it by saying there are more important things to talk about seems a bit condescending and counter-intuitive to the purpose of podcasts and forums where people go to discuss and read/listen opinions of others about pop-culture. Just sayin'.

Did I get a bit soap-boxy? Yes, yes I did. But the fact is that the reports of sexual harassment I was speaking about were something in the news fairly recently, and was given minimal coverage by the press and yet - when this issue with Captain America came up it was the end of the god damn world. I felt the need to mention in my show, just how fucked up we as nerds can get when we overlook something important in the comic industry happening to a real person versus what a fictional character has done as a cliffhanger.

I'm not saying there's not a healthy debate to be had over the current plot, but it really pissed me off that this is the thing that nerds come out and rally against instead of protecting someone who writes content for them.

• 1 year later...

6idM7ko.png

so when Legacy goes down in another month or two & the reset button is hit on Cap, we're getting Mark Waid on the book for the first time since the 90's, and i cannot fucking wait.

rumor has it Tai-Nehisi Coates is up next, and he's killing it on Black Panther so this is nothing but good news all around

• 11 months later...