Hondo's Bar

Captain America

The NZA

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
The original Captain America, Steve Rogers, was assassinated two years ago, in the pages of “Captain America” #25 by writer Ed Brubaker and artist Steve Epting. Only one year of story time has passed, but the Marvel Universe has become a much darker place since then. Norman Osborn, a psychotic mad man, has become one of the most powerful figures in America, and his authority is backed up by the might of both the US government and a secret criminal Cabal. Rogers’s successor as Captain America, Bucky Barnes, has tried his best to hold back the tide of darkness, but he’s been forced underground by the might of Osborn’s Dark Reign.

Thankfully, it looks like Steve Rogers is set to make like another legendary hero, King Arthur, and return when his country needs him the most, in “Captain America: Reborn” by Ed Brubaker and Bryan Hitch & Butch Guice. CBR News spoke with editor Tom Brevoort about the five-issue miniseries.

“Reborn" hits stores July 1, followed two weeks later by “Captain America” #601, but cash strapped Cap fans don’t need to worry about buying an extra book for the next few months. “‘Captain America’ will be going on hiatus after #601, while ‘Reborn’ runs,” Brevoort confirmed for CBR News. “So there won't be any opportunity for crossovers between the titles.”

All the while being dubious at the very concept(although the Super Soldier serum has allowed 'Rebirth' before, for both the Skull & Cap), I'm quietly excited that Steve Rodgers might be back to kick arse & take names. Bru/Hitch is a team I fell I could trust with this.

seconded. quicker than i thought, but its been bru's call the whole time, which i love & support. if he's told all the tales he wants to with Steve gone, more power to him - i just wonder if Joe Q can truly hold out and let the rebirth officially go down in cap's book and not towards the end of Dark Reign-like. heh.

we knew it had to happen before the movie next year or whenever, but man, much as i love cap, what a world we'd be in if it was like ellis wanted and dude could truly stay dead forever, him or batman both. that'd be awesome.

You know, I might feel the return of Cap was a bad thing and Bucky's dethroning was scandalous and all that if A) Cap hadn't been replaced before and B) if his death had been anything but a meaningless shitty ending to a shitty story. Same goes for Batman. Bring 'em both back Bucky Barnes and Dick Grayson can suck my left nut and make my right one jealous. Bucky's s'posed to be dead anyway.

No, just Bucky, everybody's talking about how Cap's ressurection would ruin everything Bucky's done as a character, well Bucky being alive has ruined everything Cap was as a character. Bucky is supposed to be dead, at least Gwen Stacey had the common decency to just be a clone.

I'd have agreed with you about Bucky being dead up until Winter Soldier. As a retcon it served it's kind well, and made a running injoke more than capable(which is one of those gimmicks I kinda dig), I wouldn't define Cap by Bucky's death. Sure it stands out in Cap's whole dealy more than the thousands of 'memorable for anecdotal purposes' soldiers who've died beside him, but I think Bru made more of Bucky's death to manufacture a greater impact in Winter Soldier.

i totally agree - baytor, i know bucky's death was like a cardinal thing, but did you read Bru's run? Winter Solider was as fine as Cap's book has been since uh, Waid + Garney like 10 years ago, no lie. Im curious what becomes of bucky/CAP WITH A GUN after this, but i dont think it undoes shit: he held it down like Kyle Rayner did for Jordan, you know? also, cap's death - again, having been handled by Bru & co, it felt more legit, idve agreed with you on cheap way to make an event memorable if it just went down in Civil War proper, but the whole thing's tied directly into this massive Red Skull arc Bru's been on for years now, so i gotta disagree here.

I gotta catch up on current Cap to see if this isn't just Deadly Genesis again(they lost me with the Man with no Face), but the whole Cap with a gun thing was patently fucking ridiculous, from the outside here.

NZA- you really think Bucky had that much of an impact on Cap? I always read the rule as, 'Don't resurrect Bucky because he's so fucking lame'. And besides, when they tried the faux-rebirth in Thunderbolts way back in the day it was recieved okay(until it turned out he was just the crappy bucky from the 50's that bit it early in WS). Someone needs to redux Scourge again, too.

heh! fucking scourge. you and panch both follow the millar school of "have some villain look awesome by offing all the lame ones first"

why is a solider like cap with a gun so dumb? works in ultimates. and yeah, i thought bucky lame before bru put the obvious "child soldier" spin and shit made more sense. and besides - i still think that "Fallen Son" crossover was some of the finest writing marvel's had out of any of these events, and that ruled out Clint, meaning...who else was gonna don the uniform, if not Bucky? you couldnt just have the Iron Patriot or whatever Osborn's cunting about as out there.

Cap should never, never, never be confused with Ultimate Cap. They're two different animals. In terms of uncompromised, old-school heroes you pretty much only have Superman & Cap these days. Remember looking on the figurative comic horizon and seeing the Authority in the distance, seeing how crazy an idea it was and somehow knowing it was gonna change the face of the industry? Well a lotta people bitched at the time that the old guard was being washed out by thugs & vigilantes, and by christ they're not far wrong. The industry needs Captain America to remain moralistic & unarmed to retain in some sense that original spirit of chivalry & misbegotten romanticism. For fuck's sake, that was pretty much your only arguement when arguing anti-reg.

blowing my mind that you're the one making the "moral paragon" argument here

Bru's take doesnt necessarily merge regular cap with Utlimate; he's not high-fiving a drunken tony about getting anal from Jan. But i mean, cmon...cap only killed a fucking nazi vampire in 616/marvel history prior. what the fuck is a soldier in WW II doing "incapacitating" nazis?! dude killed, and it was ok. in New Deal, when he snapped that Bin Laden guy's neck, i dont see that as tainting him...DC's hung up on their shit more than marvel, and look how compelling your average, non-soviet superman story goes.

im not saying it has to be gritty reality alla time, i think its compelling to have a soldier who doesnt want to kill outside of war, and given the shit cap has dealt with since, its a noble thing to have. i just hate this black/white notion that he's in line with the Comedian if he, say, shoots Red Skull in the fucking kneecap to get the detonators before the nuke at the white house bunker goes off or something.

i dunno, man. when bucky-cap joins stabforce X-force, come talk to me.

Didn't read new Deal, tried but it was way too political for me to pay attention, and everyone's okay with anyone killing nazis. If it weren't a vio;ation of content/rating, Granpa Smurf would have told a story about killing & brutalizing nazis in the war. The Comedian exists on the other end of the spectrum & there's no validating a comparison to him, no matter how good Steve Rodgers would look with a rape moustache. I also agree with you on the Superman front, but the fact remains that someone needs to be the moral conscious of any given group. DC & Marvel each have theirs, and they have no fun at all. I think if nothing else, Dark Reign shows what happens when a publisher doesn't have that 'moral paragon' as you put it, and the fact remains it's not a sustainable continuity.

true, true. steve might not use a gun, but buck did for like the last 20-30 years. if i was him, and was asked to start using a 10-15lb shield as a fucking boomerang? oh yeah, when baron zemo attacks the thanksgiving day parade, sure thing. when my other fights go down in subterranean tunnels? im saying, faustus or whoever better have adamantium fucking kneecaps.

PS agreed, but then im a bigger fan of the characters who cross the line. Dark Reign, like you said, its a world without Cap. S.H.I.E.L.D.'s gone (and it was run by Hydra anyway!), there's no good guys about except the rebel avangers. i just dont want cap to have to come back and start calling people "son" while waving a flag on the statue of liberty to have people ok with him being a little more edgy than he was in the '60s.

Didn't read new Deal, tried but it was way too political for me to pay attention, and everyone's okay with anyone killing nazis. If it weren't a vio;ation of content/rating, Granpa Smurf would have told a story about killing & brutalizing nazis in the war. The Comedian exists on the other end of the spectrum & there's no validating a comparison to him, no matter how good Steve Rodgers would look with a rape moustache. I also agree with you on the Superman front, but the fact remains that someone needs to be the moral conscious of any given group. DC & Marvel each have theirs, and they have no fun at all. I think if nothing else, Dark Reign shows what happens when a publisher doesn't have that 'moral paragon' as you put it, and the fact remains it's not a sustainable continuity.

And I agree with you about needing a moral paragon but BUCKY can't play that role. Nobody can ever fill that role the same way. The same thing happened after the death of Superman in which it a role that can't be done with anybody else.