Hondo's Bar

Best Video Games

MusicManiac

god, ive yet to finish Maniac mansion, but what a game.

Sen's list is awesome, lotta games ive yet to finish too - Vagrant Story, Musashi, RE: Veronica (was that one really that good? i guess i should try it again).

I was about 100% on Losifer's list till DC: i love fighters, just not as much as him.

For me...this wasnt easy, there was a lotta fun shit on this system between Soul Calibur, Space Channel 5, Seaman, Chu Chu Rocket, Jet Grind Radio etc

1) Shenmue 2, the greatest RPG most of you never played.

d_shenmue2.jpg

Epic, epic shit. Revenge quest for your father, triad fights, all kinds of shit without some of the lag part 1 presented (by the docks). This one had towns bigger than the whole of part 1, and 1 was an amazing game too.

2) Sonic Adventure

B00000K3X9.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056651037_.jpg

Im a platformer ho sometimes, and this was the system-selling game for me. 2 was better, i thought, but this had some great moments.

3) Skies of Arcadia (DC version)

B00007KUUD.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V64835386_.jpg

Another great RPG, not much characterization but the air battles were a lot of fun. Its a pirate RPG for fucksake!

4) PSO

B00005LOYC.01-A2HRSNTHOBS6XD._AA268_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

A no-brainer, cause i adore this series, and dont normally go for MMORPGs but i actually rented NFL2K cause it had a hack to get free Sega.net and play this game...i actually bought a keyboard too. I think i was in a clan.

5) Typing of the Dead

20031119225618873_1_original.png

haha...ive no idea why this game was so fun for me. ok, its not really top 5, but i couldnt decide on the last one, itd prolly be Sonic Adventure 2 anwyay.

SNES list was solid, Empire was funny to see. Id add Mario Kart and a few others, like Earthbound.

On Los' solid NES list - id switch Mega Man 3 for 2, Ironsword for Wizards & Warriors (i just liked 1 better), and prolly TMNT and Ghosts & Goblines, good games though they are, for:

Golgo_13_-_NES_game_(cover_art).jpg

and

948956975-00.jpg

and of course

1031701943-00.jpg

otherwise, spot on, great lists man.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It took me a bit, but i think i got my top 10 NES games (it was too hard to limit it to 5). Here i go:

NINTENDO (Fuckin' A this was tough)

tmnt1xo8.jpg

Yeah Remember that game. You were so addicted to it. I wanned to play but you ddin't want to share or you thought I was too little. :)

Eh, to be honest, the first Turtles game was pretty crappy all things considered. We just loved us our Turtles at the time, so we bought into it.

Funny review of TMNT:

The Angry Nintendo Nerd

De de de da de Dead-Link!

Dead-Link!

Dead-Link!

Dead-Link!

Which turtles game we talking about? Was that the one where you get to drive the van for twenty seconds before it explodes? That was our generations Vice City.

I had that TMNT one, tough as a bastard !!!

No one has beaten that game, of this I am pretty sure, and if they did I want to see video evidence. I'm sick of all these speed runs of possible to beat games, some one on You Tube should show us how all our toughest childhood favourites actually ended.

What!?! Well, ok..this game wanst good, I'll give ya that...ppl didnt like it because was too hard (cuz it wasn't well thought out). And yeah it was a tough-ass game, but i managed to infiltrate the technodrome. I beat it...wish i had the proof. In terms of it being "Vice city" like...well, i...guess for one level if i recall...i mean, you were able to go in different places, ride in the van, dive in the dam or somethin and stop bombs from exploding. In any case, it wasnt for everybody (see, i was a psycho when i was 8 and i wanted to beat any game that fell in my lab...and i did!). The only reason why i put it on my list is because I just picked one out of the series(much like why i put MM3 and not MM2..besides MM3 had a bitchin cover) You see why i said you were too young Curtains!

Yeah the Valkyrie Profile, you are constantly raving about, it's that good huh?

Hmm... I might have to give it a whirl.

Onless you have a PSP your not going to find a copy for the PS1. The game sells for about $80-$150.

Hell the Strategy Guide alone goes for $70.

I agree with Jont, the game sucked... and I agree that this game was prolly never beatn at all due to it's ridiculous difficulty levels and controls.

Nah, I think I loved that game, it was crappy, it was fucking impossible to play and it caused me so much heartache, but I kept coming back to those first two or three levels to get whipped again. This was probabally before I had any better games.

Now for a bone fide classic:

box_nes_front.jpg

Damn, that wizard don't look as ripped in the game.

solstice-2.png

It's fucking 3D! Magic!

solstice-1.png

An easy room to get through. There weren't many of those.

Solstice%20NES%20SS5.png

Now this game was tough, but I beat it. I can't prove it, but trust me I did it. You need to practically memorise the whole game to progress, and remember where the platforms are in each room. Isometric projection, sometimes you couldn't see whether a platform was next to you or in the fore ground.

SNES was such a badass system.

thing was, i was already working back then, and nintendo and square both'd mail me flyers to hype me bout upcoming games, and since cartridges were sometimes up to like $70 at some places, id hold off and think about it too much.

So, i sat on Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, i think a few others, then every gaming mag id read coudlnt shower these titles with enough awards, id go buy them and kick myself for not doing so earlier, you know, after the week of locking myself up and loving life.

Super Metroid was so good, i got one of these guys who hasnt played games since NES, thinks theyre kiddy shit and all, to beat it. Fucker never beat a game in his life, but this was it, cause 2 screens worth of Kraid was his selling point, i think.

Classic game.

man, you are easily my fhd for tomorrow........ anyone who appreciates super metroids awesomeness deserves some token of appreciation, it was the first game i ever properly Played, back in early 95... just after i got a snes for christmas, i got that too, and after getting through mario with ease and not regarding it highly because i thought it was easy, i then took on the life changing task of metroid... and man.... i dug out my snes yesterday with super metroid, and ive been glued to it ever since... its that kind of game....

the guy over on the knoll, demonic, he is a fellow super metroid lover... as i said... that game really really was my childhood and i connect with it so much to this day, it can't not go in the hall of fame

Archived