Hondo's Bar

Best Video Games

MusicManiac

Even tho this game never made over here I remember playing the import. It was a mech fans wet dream.

Just as fans of American comic books wonder which heroes would defeat each other in a fight, fans of anime mecha wonder which would own the battlefield if they were set against each other. In 1991, Japanese gaming company Banpresto made these dreams a reality with Super Robot Wars (SRW for short) for the Nintendo Game Boy. With favorite mecha from Mazinger Z, Getter Robo and Gundam fighting together against hordes of evil robots in turn-based strategy a phenomenon began that hasn’t lost steam for 14 years (Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 should be released in July 2005).

In the same year, Banpresto released Super Robot Wars 2 for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Among the improvements were the inclusion of pilots from the same anime series as the mecha as characters and the storyline was influenced by choices made in the game. The feature that really turned heads was the appearance of a new mecha designed specifically for the game: Masoukishin Cybaster.

As time went on more games were released for SRW and the storylines became more intricate and more enemies and allies were added. The gigantic, 200 meter tall Gunbuster and the 3.85 meter tall Garland [Megazone 23], the medieval Dunbine and the high-tech Sound Force [Macross 7], the bionic Evangelion and the god-like Ideon – all of these appeared fighting side-by-side against the worst threats in the universe.

In addition to already-loved mecha, Cybaster and other original mecha have created their own fan base with storylines that focus on the Super Robot Wars setting. Some games like Super Robot Wars Gaiden - Lord of Elemental (1996) and Super Robot Wars Original Generation (2002) feature only original SRW mecha and characters. SRW has even made the transition to anime with the release of an OAV titled Super Robot Wars Original Generation.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1125099111.jpg

Jet Set Radio Future

This sequel/retelling of the cult Dreamcast hit was in my opinion far superior to the original title. Grinding and movement became much easier this time around, and the environements were aboslutely amazing, it was a hell of a showstopper for me at the time, especially some of the heavy syscraper levels.

The game is cell shaded, and it is handled very well, it gives the game a great artistic vibe. The game's soundtrack is strange and funky, but awesome, it gets under your skin, and soon you will be humming and singing along with it. It blends in with the game perfectly.

The gameplay was creative as hell, a great mix of Tony Hawk and Mario. Tons of stuff to unlock and hidden shit to find, and a ton of playable characters make this one a winner. The fact that it controls better than the dreamcast one just sweetens the pie. You can pick it up nowadays for like $5 so it is definitely worth it. One of the best Xbox games.

Then there is tagging, basically you spray grafitti everywhere, in order to gain territory from rival skating gangs. All the rival gangs are strange in and of themselves, and occassionally you will be battleing is out in seeing who can spray paint eachother. It sounds strange becasue it is.

Still it nails the fun of grinding across a line a hundred or more feet in the air spraying graffiti along a wall while running form the cops. There is just so much to see and do in this game, and the levels are so creative that they never get old.

2.jpg

618136.jpg

xbox_jetsetraiofuture5.jpg

i still leave off III myself, but only cause I, II and V were so very good.

i was just thinkin how much i miss ToeJam & Earl:

Toejam_and_Earl.png

sadly, it wont be on the upcoming Sega Genesis Collection, but a lotta greats will (thanks again bishop):

Alex Kidd — The Enchanted Castle

Altered Beast

Bonanza Bros

Columns

Comix Zone

Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head!

Ecco the Dolphin 1-2 + jr, in case you forgot how fucking hard old school games could get

Eternal Champions, the best fighter no one really played

Flicky

Gain Ground

Golden Axe 1-3 (did you know there's gonna be a new one?)

Phantasy Star 2-4

Ristar

Shadow Dancer: Secret of Shinobi

Shinobi III

Sonic The Hedgehog 1-2

Super Thunderblade

Sword of Vermillion (classic forgotten RPG)

Vectorman 1-2

Virtua Fighter 2

...not bad eh?

...dammit, hate to bitch, but MM could you try to bring back your original posts in this thread? i kinda want to split it up and make a 'horror/survival horror" thread, finally got Echo Night on FDB's say-so and The Suffering on yours, with Manhunt onna way, wanna talk about it in an appropriate thread :???:

well, it is a genesis collection...hey, at least you got part 4 in there.

honestly tho, what other Sega titles would you have liked to see? mebbe shining series, again toejam & earl, couple others but mostly 3rd party that wuldmt work like Valis III and such (always wanted to play El Viento).

Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Super Mario Kart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart, Rampart and Rampart.

Rampart is awesome.

By the way, my dick is hard for next-gen Golden Axe.

well, it is a genesis collection...hey, at least you got part 4 in there.

honestly tho, what other Sega titles would you have liked to see? mebbe shining series, again toejam & earl, couple others but mostly 3rd party that wuldmt work like Valis III and such (always wanted to play El Viento).

Yes to shining series and toejam & earl and your right. I should be happy about PS4.

Games I want:

Y's 3: Wanderers From Y's

Castlevania Bloodlines

Toe Jam And Earl in Panic on Funkotron

Arcus Odyssey

Adventures of Batman and Robin (just so I can fucking beat this game even if I have to cheat)

Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 2

Streets of Rage 3

Strider

Strider 2: Strider Returns

shit, good calls on Alien Storm and SOR. TJ&E 2 was good? shit looked too different for me...

props on Bloodlines, cant believe i forgot Strider! Fuck, add E-SWAT to the list too.

225px-Strider_Hiryu_screenshot.png

eswat.gif

Ys came to genesis? thought it was only SNES...

Game I would love to see was called like Ranger X or some shit, it used the six button controller but was a kick ass fucking action game.

Revenge of Shinobi (even with the infinite Shuriken this game made me its bitch.)

Gunstar Heroes

Landstalker

Micky Mouse and the Castle of Illusion (Best Disney game ever)

Ghouls and Ghosts (Took me FOREVER to beat this bitch. I remember there being an invincibility code and it STILL was tough. How fucking hardcore is that?)

Cool Spot

IIRC though, Strider 2 blew chunks.

Edit: Oh and Newtype: It's Ys, not Y's goddamn that fucking typo from the Master System fucking haunts the series to this day. You'd htink the fact that Ys is actually based on an old mythical place would help but, nope.

funny, i thought of castle of illusion, was that first party tho? Gunstar Heroes shoudla been a given, cant believe i forgot cool spot! :???:

Castle was a first party game, though Sega eventually lost the license to Sony IMagesoft (back before Sony was doing hardware.)

Gunstar Heroes was one of the best games that gen bar none. Treasure just knows how to make some damn fine action games.

Now where is my Saturn collection Sega? I need some Guardian Heroes and Astal!

At least bring Guardian Heroes to Xbox Live Arcade, 6 player online matches and 4 player online co-op would be the shit.

Another classic i always wanted to play, never got the chance. Looked awesome. That's El Viento, Turrican,a nd Sunsent Riders.

There was this great Haunting game (mighta been the name) by EA....that, Geenral Chaos, and...shit, i forget a lotta names. But hey, Bish - Castle of Illusion might be # 1, but Quackshot and Taz (was that disney?) werent far behind.

There was this crappy little arcade in my hometown that had NARC, Final Fight, Street Fighter II (just plain ol' SFII which to this day in the arcade I haven't been beaten since 1st year in secondary school...so that's 12 years unbeaten!) but the best was Sunset Riders.

Whenever there was nothing to do me and my cousin would go down and beat it a coupla times.

Kick ass game.

Also anyone remember Mario in the arcade? And was it harder or was it just me?

*edit for the mario comment*

Arcade was the way to go with Sunset Riders! If not, the the SNES one is a distant second. Game was fun as hell tho.

I thought it was Quack Attack, but I could be wrong. Didn't play Taz, was that a Sega one too?

A lot of people mentioned Valis III, back in my Turbo days I was playing Valis 2!

valis2-tg16.jpg

and of course these bad boys:

Ys Books 1 and 2 and Ys III: Wanderers from Ys

hcd9009.jpg

ys3-box.jpg

Though if you want to play these now I suggest the PC version of Ys 1 and 2, Ys eternal, as featured in the Best games you never played thread. With an English patch you too can play one of the best action RPGs ever.

Edit: Yeah the arcade SMB required 200 coins for an extra life IIRC.

Archived