Hondo's Bar

Horror flicks

Another voice chiming in for the awesomeness that is The Mist. I love that film.

I still need to get around to seeing REC, Martyrs, Paranormal Activity 2&3, and a few others. The gf refuses to watch horror films, so that makes it difficult to knock some of these off my list. I could only convince her to see the Fright Night remake by telling her it was an action film--which it kinda was.

And that's disappointing news about Devil Inside. It looked promising, but both critic and fan reviews have been horrible and this gimicky ending is just marketing gone mad. Seems like the word of mouth killed it as it dropped from #1 to #6 in it's second week in theaters.

Chris,

Panch and I just got out of the theater to see the Devil Inside. It was a great movie and I didn't mind the ending so much. The meat of the movie, for me, outweighed the ending. Panch agreed with you about the marketing. I'm not too much of a movie critic to care either way as long as I was entertained throughout the movie. And I was thoroughly entertained through this one. I am a horror movie fanatic, especially these types of movies. I have seen some horrible possession flicks and this is not one of them.

BTW, I haven't seen Paranormal Activity 3 yet either. I have to find a partner other than Panch to watch it because he refuses to watch it.

Love Mist!

Devil Inside? Not so much. Still, it doesn't deserve NOT to be watched. Bullshit ending aside, the film was extremely intense once it got going and had the potential to give The Excorsist a run for its money with a little more thought out story and an ending. ANY ending. I feel like there's easier ways to market your website without making everyone see a feature length film as advertisement.

While I'm mildly fasinated by the history and origins that this demon has with these sisters, these movies are just stupid. Some think that the first was groundbreaking, but it was just jumping on the shaky-camera fad that has been sweeping Hollywood since Blair Witch. This isn't new to any us, of course, but every young person (18 and under - which these films are targeted to) I know, thinks these movies are masterpieces. I've been forced to sit through the first two because of vagina and I'm probably willing to see the last... but only because of completion reasons. Anyone that knows me well knows that I'm constantly torturing myself with my obsessive compulsiveness.

Edited by Panch

me...i got freaked out opening night, like i did with blair witch, before all the hype on either i guess. it was the kinda post-movie uneasiness that had me looking up shit online to categorize/understand shit better and looking back, feel better about said uneasiness - for me, that's an absolute high point for the effect a horror flick can have on me, and it's rare and i relish it.

but - baytor will rightfully point this out too - that might have a lot to do with the fact that, generally speaking, the bar for supernatural horror is really fucking low.

American horror films have to be exceptional for me. The only exception, of course, is zombie stuff, cause well... the genre is really bad. A mediocre zombie flick gets a pass from me, cause I'll take whatever I can get. It's getting better though (thanks Walking Dead :)) Anyways, yeah, Paranormal Activity, Hostel, Saw. Those flicks do nothing for me. They are gimmicky and targeted to my little brothers. The Mist, for example, was great cause it did something more. Something different. Those same kids would think its stupid... and that's why I know it's good.

Edited by Panch

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

House of the Devil is Ti West's best one. It was the first one of his movies I've seen, and I've wanted to have a similar experience, but the rest of them have disappointed me. Inkeepers was especially a letdown. Spot on about the atmosphere.

• 1 month later...

Murder Party is great!

came to post this though

width="600" height="338" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen><div style="padding:5px 0; text-align:center; width:600px;"><p><a href="http://www.collegehumor.com/videos/most-viewed/this-year">CollegeHumor's Favorite Funny Videos</a></p></div>

• 2 years later...

Horror is my favorite genre, but it's been a few years since I've seen anything really unique (Cabin in the Woods was probably the last). Then earlier this year I watched It Follows. Like Cabin, it pays homage to the horror films that came before it but does it in a completely new and interesting way. I've been calling it an arthouse horror film (and like most artsy films, critics loved it more than the general public did). It's beautifully shot and really, really creepy.

It has potential to be a love it or hate it kinda movie (edited this to add I JUST saw Axel's comment about this movie! Haha!). But I'm standing by my recommendation. I'm just glad it's finally on DVD/streaming so people can see it! Been gushing about it for months!

it_follows_ver9.jpg

The trailer is

. Posting a link because I can't seem to embed video, dammit.

Edited by The NZA
oh man even the how-to-post-HTML section of the FAQ is broken, that's brilliant nick

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just gonna use this as a horror trailer thread until someone says stahp

Also Jeepers Creepers 3 is happening.

The director being a convicted pederass aside... I'm a fan of the first two movies and The Creeper (poor name usage now....) is one of the best modern monsters in some time, so I'm down for another one. My money won't be going toward it, but I'll watch it all the same.

Edited by Axels