Hondo's Bar

Horror flicks

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen this one yet? Apparently it came out summer 2016 in the UK but only got a limited release in the US. I just found out about it today and am looking forward to watching it, soon hopefully. Trailer looks solid

Also, didn't we used to have a dedicated zombie movie thread? I could only find one NZA made about Romero commenting on the "Death of the zombie genre." :/

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
George Romero's Next Zombie Film Coming

The Fantasia Film Festival's annual film co-production Frontieres has announced the first slave of films headed to its ninth edition in Montreal. From July 20 to July 23 of this summer, several projects will be on display, including horror movie legend George Romero's Road of the Dead.

Road of the Dead is Romero's next entry to the popular zombie genre andthree consecutive directorial efforts, following Survival of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, and Land of the Dead. The project was written by Romero and Matt Birman, who will direct this time around after serving as second unit director for all three previous films.

Road of the Dead was originally pitched by Birman 10 years ago. Now, it becomes a film centered on an island where zombie prisoners race cars in a moder-day Coliseum for more privileged living humans to enjoy. According to Birman's description, it is a combination of Road Warrior and Rollerball at a Nascar Race, borrowing a bunch of queues from Ben-Hur.

The rest of the announced slate includes titles High Dive, Kicking Blood, Nameless, A Nightmare Wakes, Protect Us From Our Hunger, The Resoration at Grayson Manor, Restore Point, The Stolen Child, and Zoo. More titles will be announced for the Fantasia Film Festival in early June.

Romero's zombie film is likely to be one of the more anticipated films of the bunch, seeing as his work is often among the most revered in the genre. His Night of the Living Dead film is largely credited as the birth of zombie films in 1968, which spawned projects like Dawn of the Dead and The Crazies further down the line in his career. His most recent effort as a director was 2009's Survival of the Dead, with 19 other credits in the director's chair to his name.

(via IndieWire)

This sounds absolutely ridiculous.

it does, but - having admittedly not seen his last one - wasn't this kinda where he was going with it? am i wrong here or has he not kinda been pushing for more sentient zombies since...at least when they were pumping gas?

Sounds like the zombies from the Doom franchise, especially the Doom novels. I remember those zombies used guns... and well... the zombies were dead but weren't unintelligent. Instead they were more 'stuck' at the moment of death, they couldn't think, reason, communicate, or plan ahead, just instinctually react; all the while groaning or babbling incoherent shit from their former lives. But they could take orders and use firearms among other things. And as one of the novel protagonists put it: If you can shoot a gun you can- drive a car/use a doorknob/unload a truck/work a Crane/etc...

it does, but - having admittedly not seen his last one - wasn't this kinda where he was going with it? am i wrong here or has he not kinda been pushing for more sentient zombies since...at least when they were pumping gas?

But "Deathrace" racecar driving zombies!? Nah.

Edited by Da Cap'n 2099

yeah, it sounds silly as fuck...i get that it's a bridge too far. i'm saying you weren't even on board with gas-pumping zombies were you? imagine how you're gonna be 5 years from now when the next flick has zombie elections and reality shows

Wasn't even his idea, but yeah, I'll rubber neck this because.

Also, it was ONE zombie riding a horse and it was because she was a lifetime horse rider. And it was stupid then.

And, you know, just because they're doing more things doesn't mean they're gonna START RACING CARS!

• 3 months later...

Ugh, the downside of everyone chasing this film outta town is that to see it I now have to feel like I'm tacitly supporting a likely unrepentant pedophile in wanting to see it. Guess it's a good thing this likely won't be playing anywhere near me so I'll be tempted to see it and my usual method of vetting movies by downloading them first and only buying them if they're good will be another buffer. The shit is that even if they kick Victor Salva into the gutter where he belongs he'll still get a producer's credit in further installments so this is pretty much the end of the line for this franchise and that sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

What the fuck

“Jeepers Creepers” is currently on its third installment, and it has been drawing criticism not only because it marks another opportunity for the convicted pedophile to make a feature but also because it includes a character whose backstory involves being molested by her stepfather. Deadline reported last year that a casting notice for the main role of Addison was looking for an “18-year-old actress [to play a character] who at the age of 13 had been sent to live with her grandmother after her stepfather ‘started making overtures’ to her.” Gabrielle Haugh landed the role.

“Jeepers Creepers 3” does not depict any kind of child molestation, but it does include one moment where two characters are discussing why Addison no longer lives with her stepfather. One of the two characters is romantically interested in Addison and seems to understand why her stepfather would make “overtures” on her. “Can you blame him though? I mean look at her,” the character says. “The heart wants what it wants, am I right?”

IGN’s Adam Dileo originally singled out the quote for scrutiny in his review. He has since updated the article noting that the line was removed for the theatrical cut but was included on the screening link sent to critics who reviewed the film.

How does this guy keep being allowed to work?

It really is inexplicable, he certainly doesn't command the clout of Roman Polanski or Woody Allen (not that they're excused either but I at least understand the despicable excuses that could be made.) There's a lot of stuff in those movies that, once you know about his crimes comes off as really upsetting. They're both on the Hondo's UV account so you can watch them free of charge and without paying him further, I urge you to watch them knowing who Victor Salva is and see how many alarming Freudian moments you can pick out. Spoiler alert: There are a LOT.

Edited by Iambaytor

• 1 month later...

Did we really need a first one?

Also backtracking to Jeepers Creepers. Surely they won't let Salva back in on the franchise/work at all at this point right? With all the shit going on right now?

Edited by Axels