Hondo's Bar

So, I was at the supermarket last night and I was in the magazine section reading the newest copy of Wizard! La, di, da... cool comic stuff as usual! Then I turn the page... HOLY SHIT!! THEY'RE MAKIN' 300 INTO A MOVIE! YESSSSSS!!! Hands down my favorite Frank Miller work other than Dark Knight! Man, I'm so hyped! I'm big on ancient civilizations! And Greece is one of my favorites and the Spartans are my favorites of all time!! Man, I can't wait to see battle scenes like Troy or Gladiator!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, 300, Miller's widescreen epic war comic that chronicles the Battle of Thermopylae (the famous ancient battle in which 300 Greeks fought to the death against a Persian army of thousands - think the ancient Greek version of the Alamo), is being directed by Zack Snyder who did the Dawn of the Dead remake (he's also tapped to direct a Rainbow Six movie next year), and stars Gerard Butler (Phantom of the Opera), Lena Headey (The Brothers Grimm), and David Wenham (Faramir from LotR). Early tests for it look pretty cool, they're taking a page from Sin City - using blue screen and cg backgrounds to portray Miller's panels almost exactly.

greek_part2.jpg

greek_part4.gif

ephor_part2.jpg

ephor_part4.jpg

well_part2.jpg

well_part4.jpg

According to the rather limited production info on their website, it looks like they've finished principle photography and are now in post-production - something which, on a film like this, will take a little while. I'd say if all goes well, look for it sometime in the second half of this year.

This battle is like the Seinan war towars the end of "The Last Samurai": ive always assumed the engagment was a war flick i missed from the 70's or something beacuse its too cool a story to not have hollywood milk the drama.

Id love to see this as the movie poster.

300___2.jpg

• 4 months later...

Ack Gash! I'm not too keen on the shots, they'd look great if they were PS3 tech demos, but I don't see why it has too look like a CG movie, just because it's a Frank Miller movie. Personally I thought Rodriguez missed the ball on Sin City in a lot of ways, fair enough he did get away with a lot, and it was black and white, but it was the wrong kind of black and white (think Darren Arronofsky's Pi if you're wondering what I think the right one would be)

I don't know! I fuckin' love it! The old one from like the 50's 0r 60's or something (The 300 Spartans) was all colorful and stuff! Even the Spartans in that movie seemed happy all the time! I like the darkness of this one, but I can see what your saying! They're basing it more on the comic than the actual historic event!

Ack Gash! I'm not too keen on the shots, they'd look great if they were PS3 tech demos, but I don't see why it has too look like a CG movie, just because it's a Frank Miller movie. Personally I thought Rodriguez missed the ball on Sin City in a lot of ways, fair enough he did get away with a lot, and it was black and white, but it was the wrong kind of black and white (think Darren Arronofsky's Pi if you're wondering what I think the right one would be)

super-grainy? mebbe im just thinkin of the stab-your-brains scene. its a great film, dont get me wrong.

And i wasnt expecting CG either but then again i wasnt expectin this film at all, so im still hyped either way.

Well grainy to a degree, but I'm more thinking about contrast,Sin City the comic is all about contrast, Sin City the had too many grey tones, where as Pi had a much higher contrast, in some scenes just black and possibly one mid tone. In the comic shapes blend into each other, you can understand a figure just by the hint of light creating and outline, the "film stock" the used on Sin City was way too slick, every thing was too well defined then Frank Millerisms like Marv's band aids are applied without any consideration for lighting and just look unnatural. I'm not trying to hate here, I just think that they went so far to recreating the comic, just a little bit more effort could have made it perfect.

I've browsed through the 300 production diaries and I think it'll be best if I think of this as a CG movie, mixed with elements of a stage production. There's a video where one of the set designers boasts how they used the same fake rock set for several unrelated locations.

• 2 months later...

bam

300Trailer.jpg

OFFICIAL 300 TRAILER RELEASED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a few unofficial versions, the official trailer of 300 has been posted on the Apple website and on MySpace. The film, slated to open March 9th, 2007, is based on Frank Miller’s epic 300 graphic novel published by Dark Horse. As you’ll see in the trailer, director Zack Snyder has sought to keep Miller’s look and feel in the film version, much like Robert Rodriguez did with Sin City.

From the official description: Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, 300 is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite.

In related 300 news, ICV2 reports that Dark Horse will release a 300: The Art of the Film in January, which will run 200 pages.

That is one helluva trailer. It looks like they're not afraid to go as extreme as Miller does in his books (well, aside from the male nudity, I suppose). But there's a fine line between extreme and ridiculous in film. Sin City managed to straddle it most of the time, 300 looks like it may blow through it completely. So I wonder if they'll be able to get their movie to work as well as Sin City did.

I also wonder if they ever let Gerard Butler use his inside voice.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes Pancho. When a date has an '03' before the first slash (03/XX/XX), it means March.

See now we do it the other way. the date today is 18/10/06 as opposed to however you kids do it. 06/10/18? I dunno, I couldn't say who's got it wrong. I just know release dates drive me insame 'cause I don't know whether 05/01/07 means January 5th(as it should) or may 1st(dirty seppo talk).

Archived