Hondo's Bar

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I've every intention of buying the HC still gathering dust at my local. As it is when someone says "I'm sending you a buncha shit you could really dig. Any requests?" I tend to freeze up like a deer in headlights, otherwise I'da hit you up for thunderbolts & Bendis DD. Loving Xmen though.

eh, thunderbolts isnt my thing, current series is alright, but then im an ellis fan.

bendis DD, i have in TPB, i should prolly get a torrent of to share tho...and yeah, told you New X-Men's awesome, where are you in that one?

Shit... Uhm... They've just defeated Nova against all odds for the what, 7th time with no help at all from the Shi'ar Empire. I'm a little hazy 'cause this weekend was basically spent readin this on the couch and napping. Igor Kordey's pencils are shit though, never thought I'd say I wanted to see more Quitely. Actually, if memory serves I just finished the solo Xorn story, and kicking my own arse that I know how all that's going to end in Planet X...

jesus yeah, thats shit to know how it goes down. try wiki'ing xorn sometime, the follow-up shit after grant was tremendously worse.

and to kordey's credit, i read he had like days to get it done, not his finest work. I dug him more on Solider X, but he was Marvel's little workhorse that year.

So... you complain that the fight scenes were shallow and like something a 12-year-old would think was cool (I'll have you know that 12-year-old likes to be called Frank Miller) yet you hated giving the characters and storyline depth? I'm honestly not being an ass her, I'm just seriously wondering what exactly you're wanting here.

Creating depth does not equal adding more scenes in the movie. Maybe sometimes less is more. Adding scenes to try to make us empathize with the main character makes this movie a fare more shallow experience than the book, which was short, lean, and very careful about what it shows us.

Hey I love Frank Miller's work as much as anyone else, he's one of my favorite writer's but lets face it, he writes rather sparsely. It works because what he does write is excellent. But whatever, I don't think we were really meant to empathize with Leonidas, oh yes it showed his family but it never showed him lingering on them, he was thinking about the battle at hand, it was his family that was thinking about him. Anyway, people are just splitting hairs, the movie is meant to be entertaining, it's not realistic, it's not historically accurate, and the Spartans are made out to be incredibly powerful when in reality the main reason they were so formidible on the battlefield was their heavy armor.

i'm not splitting hairs. i thought the movie was boring overall for all the reasons i listed, the main one being the moviemakers being more concerned about making the movie look cool than actually putting effort into the battle scenes. i swear to you i yawned 6 or 7 times during the movie. and the spartans were formidable due to more than just their armor.

i'm not splitting hairs. i thought the movie was boring overall for all the reasons i listed, the main one being the moviemakers being more concerned about making the movie look cool than actually putting effort into the battle scenes. i swear to you i yawned 6 or 7 times during the movie. and the spartans were formidable due to more than just their armor.

Eh I've had the same problem with all the ones that actually were "realistic" Gladiator, Troy, Alexander, Braveheat, Kingdom of Heaven, Messenger all were overrated insomnia cures to me.

I said it was the main reason, true enough they were brilliant strategists and very well trained soldiers, but people no matter how badass they are still bleed and ultimately it was not becoming a human pincushion filled with arrows that helped turn the tide of battle seeing as they were the most heavily armored soldiers at the time.

Eh I've had the same problem with all the ones that actually were "realistic" Gladiator, Troy, Alexander, Braveheat, Kingdom of Heaven, Messenger all were overrated insomnia cures to me.

yeah, aside from braveheart, i didn't like alexander (i couldn't even get through it without falling asleep) or gladiator. when gladiator got nominated for everything i kept wondering if i had seen a different movie than the voters. i haven't seen the others but i don't really plan to. i was really looking forward to 300 and i really wanted to like it but either it just doesn't translate well as a movie or the moviemakers messed it up. maybe a little bit of both. at least grindhouse is coming out next week. yay!

yeah, aside from braveheart, i didn't like alexander (i couldn't even get through it without falling asleep) or gladiator. when gladiator got nominated for everything i kept wondering if i had seen a different movie than the voters. i haven't seen the others but i don't really plan to.

Kingdom of Heaven the 4 hour (or so) version was good. The theatrical cut was crap.

438978488_38797e43b6_o.gif

LOLOLOL!!!1!1z

Am I the only one who got teary-eyed at the very end of the film?

I don't know about everyone else, but after hearing Dilios tell his men of the legend of Leonidas, along with that fantastic musical score that played with it, capping it off with their charge to eliminate the Persians from Greece forever... it got me so pumped, that my eyes got wet.

This film is definitely best suited to those who envision themselves as leaders, so it struck me dead-on. At first I was skeptical from the trailers, due to the over-use of slowmotioness, but it didn't bother me at all once I saw the film. It was actually pretty awesome.

Seeing them slice and dice through the Persians, one after another in such a perfected manner, could only be shown in slowmotion to give the viewer the best experience of how truly awesome a Spartan soldier was.

The next Batman movie is titled "The Dark Knight." Will it be based off of Frank Miller's work?

PS:

DSC00527.jpg

Right. So I guess it's okay when Iranian "artists" portray Jews as blood-thirsty rats and Americans as Jew-loving savages, huh?

DSC00527.jpg

Right. So I guess it's okay when Iranian "artists" portray Jews as blood-thirsty rats and Americans as Jew-loving savages, huh?

No, its wrong when anybody does it. Just because many Iranians, and the Iranian government themselves demonise the Jewish people, doesn't mean Persia is fair game for defamation. But in referance to the banner, I think they got it wrong, the imortals looked far more badass in the movie and in the graphic novel than in real life. The big retarded giant-troll-persian hybrid and the blacker than black dude who you can only see if his eyes are open, those are cause for concern maybe.

Archived