Hondo's Bar

Toy Box Blargh!

man, i kinda recognize that thing. that, and the swamp hovercraft thing those crazy looking twins had...but nothing beat my friend Adel's desert command base, it was 3 stories of GI Joe awesomeness: an armory, tactical war room/intel, deployment out the bottom tray (or so wed pretend) , and all kindsa room for cobra raids.

i had another friend who had that transformers talking city thing, which was massive & impressive but still not as much fun as the deser base.

• 3 weeks later...
The Toy Box

Blatently stolen from an idea on a TV show on VH-1 "I Love Toys", the idea of this thread is for members to post your thoughts, funny stories, comments, pics, etc on voting for the top toys of all time! From Lego to Mr. Potato Head to Barbie and Candy Land.

I'll start off with 3 that I loved as a kid, and still have kickin around the basment, dormant in a box somewhere.

1.) Atari 2600-

atari_2600.jpg

Video games were once again selling phenomenally in 1987. Atari released several new titles, including Jr. Pac-Man, and also licensed a number of games from other companies such as Donkey Kong and Q*Bert. These new titles sold for $10-$15. Interestingly, a number of titles began appearing again from third party companies such as Epyx, Froggo, and Exus. It seemed that the 2600 was not dead yet! In 1988, Atari rehired Nolan Bushnell and announced a number of new titles, including Secret Quest, a game written by Steve DeFrisco but sold under Nolan's name in the hope of increasing sales. Atari continued to manufacture these games until 1989. However, it was apparent that the 2600, a decade after its introduction, was finally at the end of its run. Although it was still produced and marketed outside of the US, the Atari 2600 finished its run in America. No other console has had such a long history or sold as many systems in the U.S.

I had about 85 games on this beast. I loved Vanguard, The Sword Quest series and my favorite, Pitfall for so many reasons.

pitfall_screenshot.gif

2.) Star Wars Action Figures

sw_all.jpg

About 400 of these figs made it into the Casa de maniac in his childhhod and continues today... From wookies to Wicket, hell I even have the Original Empire Darth Vader, rated mind you in the Original 1980 packaging unopended by Kenner. I found him at a flea market if you can believe that. He's worth about 200 bucks to a collector and I paid 10 bucks for him to a guy cleaning out his kids junk that pushed off to college. Lucky me cause, he's worth every penny.

mocESB21backSF.JPG

3.) Old skool -Transformers -

toysTFG1top.jpg

The last I checked Optimus Prime had some Dinobots and they totally took him down but didn't finish him off like Megatron told them too. Since then, I really haven't kept up with the Transformer universe, but believe it or not someone has put together a 68 page history on their website. Jeez, there really is more than than meets the eye...

My fave was of course, Optimus Prime, he was the Original Gangsta "O.G." and the :pimp: of the bunch IMO. He's long gone now, but not forgotten... dammit I Loved that toy. :)

primes.jpg

Chris... soon to be the 40 year old virgin

Amen to that man. When're you kids moving 'cause I'm thinnking it's high-time I actually sent something overseas(it'll be a big step for me) and I'm just wondering if that return addy onna AD Season 3 disc Linds sent was right & for how long?

• 2 weeks later...

Shit, I could sell this stuff on eBay. That's a great idea actually. Pay that mortgage down a little.

I remember the Superman Atari cartridge I dumped at a Funcoland (2-3years ago) to a guy that worked there for 80 bucks. Not bad.

The vader figure, I might keep forever though.

• 2 weeks later...

Careful man, that thing looks real enough, a cop might shoot you.

I once kept a Nintendo Zapper on my hip after 8PM, thankfully metro dade cops in cutler ridge are bad shots and it was only a flesh wound, but boy did i learn my lesson.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
... You're a fuck Newtype. Y'know that? The games I swallowed(oh that bitter pill). Then there were the HCs & Absolute editions, and a nervous tic came over my left eye. But this is it. The final fucking straw. I swear if my visit to the States coincides with a masked vigilante changing the locks on your apartment & claiming it's contents for his or her own, I will not be held responsible!!.

Dear Newtype.

You can't watch you back 24/7. See, I'm Australian which means my accent has a generally disarming effect on people, especially weak-minded Yanks(it's the motherfucking Jedi mind trick. 2T knows what I'm sayin'), so one've your friends will inwittingly offer a small & seemingly inoccuous piece of information about you, which will be all I need to stalk you like the too-much-cool-shit-to-keep-to-one-person-buyin'-animal you are. Hell, you think I'm joking, so you'll probably offer me your daily schedule AND your address to goad me with your confidence that you're untouchable. I like you Newtype, you've a wonderfully fanboy-ish sensibility(btw, what size shirt are you? I swear every pic I've seen of you features a DC icon), but I simply want everything you have, and without the finance nor the inclination to earn such a boon honestly, I will be forced to shoulder away my own morals in order to take your shit.

To everyone else, if things go horribly wrong, don't wonder why at some random point why Newtype doesn't know his real name, starts speaking with an accent, or is unexplainably whiter than how you previously knew him. It's fanboy metamorphosis.

It's the Hawkeye staue that will be your death-knoll.

When you say Hawkeye staue do you mean this Hawkeye staue. :2T:

PICT0643.jpg

PICT0644.jpg

PICT0645.jpg

Q: Who makes that fig?

TOYBIZ

• 3 months later...

right, so for those of us on a budget: action figures.

i never pulled off my Ultimates lineup, prolly have to wait on that. There's others in queve, too...

was looking for the elusive Marvel vs Capcom figures (cant believe theyre so hard to find now, guess ill check megacon), for the Strider/Spider-Man paick, mebbe the Megaman one too - im a sucker for well-done video game figures of cool characters. I always wanted to see a MGS3 version of Snake/Big Boss with the eyepatch.

spidermanvsstrider.jpg

Also, capcom did a lotta great Street Fighter figures. I got Ryu & Ken, but always meant to get some others:

dragonballzcentral_1923_232812205.gif

dragonballzcentral_1923_41162128.gif

Vega, Balrog, etc. mebbe Zangief.

Oh, and Gatsu is long overdue, too.

yhst-75846123481647_1926_15019620.gif

Black armor only, heh. Id go for Skull Knight too, but no Griffin. :pinch:

• 1 month later...

Oh, snap.

I didn't know y'all liked toys.

First and foremost: If you like Japanese toys/mecha/designer toys/urban vinyl, check out my new favorite site:

http://toybotstudios.blogspot.com/

Secondly, just got a set of these in on Friday:

http://static.flickr.com/36/121467406_8a3544556b.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/40/121467553_9598a20dfc.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/34/121467721_be0973fde8.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/45/121467855_d536601c51.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/42/121467925_32c2a46a35.jpg

They're super-posable mini-figures from Front Mission. For being about 3 inches tall, they're amazingly detailed with really nice paint jobs. Nobody makes better toys than the Japanese.

*Pics aren't mine, and sorry for the links. I didn't want to steal this dude's bandwidth.

man, youre a saint amongst us bandwith theives. shame my stoopid IT dept is cockblocking those pics...anyway, gonna check out your link soon.

i loves me my action figures. you just cant make porcelin statues fight the same way, and legos break apart during mech-battles.