Hondo's Bar

Toy Box Blargh!

I prolly posted these in my wishlist, but they're about to join my collection tomorrow. That or I'll wait until we move to the new house & build a nice display shelf just for 'em.

else_red_batman.jpgdcdew2_superman.jpg

And Nick? Wish upon a star man, it may happen.

Edited by Skeeter

...That or I'll wait until we move to the new house & build a nice display shelf just for 'em.

Is there an Ikea where you live?

They've got some really nice display cabinets that aren't too expensive.

I forget what they're called.

It's all the booze I drink. Or, used to, anyway.

I'm looking to invest in a few to properly display my collection, which I have made a priority in 2007. This year, I want to buy some really nice pieces. Not necessarily expensive, but really cool-looking toys. If I'm going to be writing about them on a regular basis, I should have some diversity and some nice shit...

...Or so I delude myself into thinking as I place those online orders...

Mate, the plan is to clean Ikea-the-fuck-out when we get into this new house. I plan on having shelving with a funny name in the fucking shower is how dedicated to the idea of Ikea I am.

A shelving unit in the shower?

That's some muthafuckin' dedication.

It's inspiring, really.

Like you're the song "Eye of the Tiger" and I'm a 15 year-old kid with Down's Syndrome THAT WILL NOT GIVE UP.

Rock.

PS- Hellboy Comic Series 2 from Mezco should be on its way later this week. OH, SNAP!

Newtype, is that a Yamato model?

On the scale modeling sites I check out, some guys have done some crazy-detailed work on those kits, spending hundreds of hours.

I think they're mentally unstable.

Bored Midwestern familyman-types, you know.

It's not a model. It's diecast. It's big bucks but I'm a sucker when it comes to that show. I missed out on the first one a few years back so I'm going to pick this one up no matter what.

It's raining toys!

Recently acquired for the (ever-growing) collection:

12" Marvel Icons Thor (Hasbro)-

781162654677_main400.jpg

http://hasbro.com/common/images/products/7...677_main400.jpg

Hellboy Series 2 Hellboy, Roger, Johann (Mezco)-

mez_hbc2_large.jpg

http://www.rkosales.com/images/mez_hbc2_large.jpg

AND, FROM THA OLD SKOOL...

The Remco Mini Monsters! (loose, not packaged)-

monster_front.jpg

http://www.toymania.com/334archives/monste...nster_front.jpg

back.jpg

http://www.toymania.com/334archives/monsters/back.jpg

Stealin' bandwidth like I don't give a fuck!!!111!!!

Edited by White Line Nightmare

Hasbro took over the Marvel license from Toy Biz, effective January 1st, 2007.

The main issue with collectors is that there isn't enough paint on the figures, resulting in a "plastic-y" look to them. Towards the end, Toy Biz was really going crazy and putting out some really cool shit. Then the license changed hands, and now the line is being produced by the most corporate of the corporate... it's all about the bottom line. The only upside is that there might be better quality control.

Anyway, Hasbro's Marvel Legends Series 2:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/w..._1931_505411221

The build-a-figure is The Blob:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/w...e_1930_25823516

I'm gonna give Hasbro the benefit of the doubt here and say that the line has some growing pains that need to be addressed. Marvel Legends went through the same thing over at Toy Biz, and if you compare ML Series 1 with the later stuff (like ML13 or the ML Face Off two-packs, etc.) you'll see it's lacking. Hopefully Hasbro will be willing to invest money in the line to keep the collectors coming back...

i dont have a lotta faith in Toy Biz or Hasbro but i hope youre right.

Some cool ones there (the non-X3 ones at least), but the Blob? I guess theyre running out of assembly packs, the Sentinel looked cool.

I ever tell you i went out & bought all of McFarlane's Metal Gear Solid 2 figures a few years back? Was so excited bout putting to gether the RAY and then...the fucking pieces didnt actually fit. What a crock of shit! its bad enough these figures often cant hold their own fucking accessories, but i had to have a friend break out the exacto knife and superglue to make it work. Man, was i pissed.

Kept Snake, Solidus & Ocelot (cant find him tho), sold the rest, with the RAY.

Some cool ones there (the non-X3 ones at least), but the Blob? I guess theyre running out of assembly packs, the Sentinel looked cool.

The Sentinel is fucking awesome. Easily the best build-a-figure Toy Biz ever put out... he's definitely impressive in a display, and I'm glad I had the chance to build mine before Marvel Legends Series 10 completely disappeared (it took about a week for the line to fly off shelves, then months to get a re-stock).

While the choice of The Blob for a b-a-f seems weird, ML collectors have been asking for him for a while now, and Hasbro's been pretty good about putting out characters fans've been clamoring for (like Hercules in series 1). Also, since the price of oil has been pretty high, it's made the cost of plastic increase as well (petroleum is a main component of plastic), making it hard for toy companies to produce a 20" action figure that is, essentially, an accessory, and keep the cost of toys down. So, build-a-figures have been getting smaller as a result. Until the price of oil drops again (it's about $50 a barrel, down from last year), the b-a-fs will remain on the small side.

As far as McFarlane's build-a-figures, I've heard they're a nightmare. When the Interlink Spawn line came out, with a bunch of robots you put together to make a giant one, the word "debacle" doesn't even come close to what happened. The instructions were hard to follow, and it wasn't unheard of for an Interlink robot to take HOURS to assemble...

Fuck, at least he worked. Im talking parts werent designed to fit into the itnterlocking pegs until shaved down & glued. That's justs shitty. Its bad enough Solidus clearly doesnt wanna hold the p-90 he came with without being glued to it, and then Olga's hat broke off and there was no paint under it, and...fuck. I mean, you wanna look past shit cause theyre so well detailed, but cmon.

didnt even think of oil as a factor, that's interesitng. I'm still holding out for a beter deal on some of the more expesnive (for me) ones i want, like Berserk and others. Incidentally, if you ever see that old marvel/capcom one with Strider & Spidey, lemme know. I might look for it at megacon this year (hey, you going bob?)

ps

They kept making X-books after Morrison left?* :blink:

hah, i know. it wasnt my decision either.

Next time I'm at A&M Comics, I'll check and see if they have that Spidey-Strider set... they've got a ton of toys hanging from the ceiling, going back at least 10-15 years. It wouldn't surprise me if they had it.

Right now, I'm not planning on going to MegaCon. I'm not especially fond of conventions, and it seems that every year, MegaCon gets a little bit smaller and not really worth it. The only reason I'd go is to network and promote something, but I'm not working for LO-FI and I don't really need to hype anything right now... I would like to go back to Wizard World Chicago, though. The hot indie rock chicks were out-of-hand delicious.

PS- Nick, are you looking for a Guts from Berserk?

I ever tell you i went out & bought all of McFarlane's Metal Gear Solid 2 figures a few years back?

There are simple rules in life.

#1: Never buy comic books made by Kevin Smith

#2: Never buy movies directed by Kevin Costner

#3: Never buy toys made by Tod McFarlene

They're not renaissance men, don't convince them that they should be.

Edited by Iambaytor

#1: Never buy comic books made by Kevin Smith

The "Clerks" Mahfood ones were pretty funny and yeah, it's since been eclipsed by Bendis but when was the last good Daredevil run prior to "Guardian Devil"? The first Green Arrow trade was pretty good too but I didn't get the next one.

#2: Never buy movies directed by Kevin Costner

"Dances with Wolves" and "Open Range" are both brilliant films and that's 50% of his body of work.

Plus, I don't know if you missed the memo but he's HOT FUCKING COSTNER.

#3: Never buy toys made by Tod McFarlene

Larry Bird is on top of my 'fridge making a jumpshot and Richard Jefferson is dodging all homo-rumors from my guitar amp. McFarlane toys are pretty cool. Pre-McFarlane toys were shitty. Would you prefer we go back to the time of the savage action twistverine?

Wolverine3rdYellow-Front.jpg

The "Clerks" Mahfood ones were pretty funny and yeah, it's since been eclipsed by Bendis but when was the last good Daredevil run prior to "Guardian Devil"? The first Green Arrow trade was pretty good too but I didn't get the next one.
Eh, I just wasn't crazy about his shit and comics based on his movies don't count, we've already established that he can do View Askew stuff.

"Dances with Wolves" and "Open Range" are both brilliant films and that's 50% of his body of work.

Dances with Wolves and Open Range suffer from the same thing all Costner's movies do. They've got really cool exciting and interesting parts and then they've got an hour of really boring shit that I don't care about just for the sake of Oscar winning performance.

Larry Bird is on top of my 'fridge making a jumpshot and Richard Jefferson is dodging all homo-rumors from my guitar amp. McFarlane toys are pretty cool. Pre-McFarlane toys were shitty. Would you prefer we go back to the time of the savage action twistverine?

Wolverine3rdYellow-Front.jpg

MacFarlane isn't the only one who should do that shit and he's enterprised a bit too much for my tastes, he's a bit of a ho of all trades and I think the man just needs to stick to comics, if even that.

Todd McFarlane helped revolutionize the toy industry.

No matter what your opinion of him, his companies, or his products is, you have to give him that.

Far as sculpting goes, McFarlane Toys is still the best of the best.

Check this shit out:

military5_afpara_photo_01_dp.jpg

http://www.spawn.com/toys/military/militar...photo_01_dp.jpg

It's so awesome that it's fucking retarded-- completely fucking recockulous.

McFarlane's sculptors can't be touched, as far as I'm concerned.

I just don't understand their direction right now. When the company first started, it was innovative. Articulation, paint applications, even subject matter-- McFarlane stepped everything up. His company is the reason why toys look as good as they do now... the Japanese even love his stuff and are influenced by it-- and the Japanese are the one culture that makes the coolest fucking toys in the world!

But now after nearly 15 years, McFarlane is trying to reach out to the mainstream, and it's not really working. The only thing that's really hit is the Sports Picks stuff. The Napoleon Dynamite stuff didn't sell, to the point where the second series was canceled. The Simpsons hasn't done very well, but then, the show isn't quite the powerhouse it used to be. While I love the Hanna-Barbera line, it's warming pegs... what's McFarlane doing? What's with these crazy choices, as far as licenses go?

At least with LOST and 24, he's striking while the iron's hot and the shows are doing well.

I'm not one of the old school McFarlane Toys collectors that thinks Todd should go back to doing everything horror, but there's gotta be a balance. All these other companies like NECA, Toy Biz/Marvel Toys and Mezco are snapping up licenses that McFarlane SHOULD HAVE gotten, and, in some cases, have produced lackluster product. Now they're the ones doing the innovating.

It's gonna be interesting to see what McFarlane does over the next couple years, because he has some important decisions to make, where the future of his company is at stake... because the toy industry isn't what it used to be. The bottom has fallen out, and it's getting harder for companies that aren't Hasbro or Mattel to stay in business.

WLN - yeah, Guts, the Black Knight one, not the younger version one. He's awesome.

and that paratropper guy looks great, too.

i cant deny the incredible detail of Mcfarlane's work - in the older lines, id pick up ones like The Redeemer just cause of how they looked - but ive never liked how the accessories fit, for the most part.

i dont know what he's doing with the crazy licenses either (i kinda dug the music ones tho), but its cool to hear he's doing a Bauer figure. I can definitely say there's others i wish he'd get a shot at - fuck, i had over 10 :party: figures in the day, and not once did they get his face right. im curious to see what youd like to see Mcfarlane get in a perfect world.

and yeah, id prefer he stay on figures than comics, personally, since i think he's done with them and am not dying to have him back there.

and yeah, id prefer he stay on figures than comics, personally, since i think he's done with them and am not dying to have him back there.

Indeed. We don't need TMcF on comics. We have Angel Medina and all the Todd-lite-ists who pretty much do it better anyways ("Kiss: Psycho Circus" Rocked ass so hard Mel Gibson forgot it was those evil money-grabbing jews behind the make-up).