Hondo's Bar

Solo

The NZA

SoloCv7.jpg

Solo is DC's spotlight/anthology for its creators, and i think its a pretty cool idea: each isssue lets one writer/artist tell & illustrate a series of short stories, seeimingly in whatever genre they please.

Playing it conservatively for the first issue, Tim Sale does a few lighthearted stories about Catwoman, A "Superman for all seaosons" lost chapter one, and such, before closing out with a noir piece and something for his parents.

# 2 (book is up to about 9 or so, ive got 1-6 in front of me) highlights Richard Corben, formerly Marvel's workhorse and one of those artists whose style isnt my favorite, but i like what he does and his ideas, and he just has fun with monster stories here. 3 was pretty popular, with fan-favorite Paul Pope at the helm, and im not reading it yet, on Jont's advice that i check out his earlier works.

# 4, Howard Chakyin (or, to some critics, "Coward Fakin") really impressed me on, with a war story, a b-rated horror/comedy tale, a western and such, kinda all over the place but enjoyable efforts all around. I havent goten to #'s 5 & 6 yet (Darwyn Cooke and Jordi Bernet, respectively, who can draw awesome women), but im lookin forward to it. That cover up top is obviously Allred on # 7, and im not sure yet what's beyond that.

Its just a really cool book, around 30+ pages an issue, showing off some fan-favorites or introducing you to a creator, and again, you never know what youre gonna get - it can jump from mainstream DC to genre work to just pinups, but this is one of those ideas id like to see Marvel, Image, Dark Horse etc bite off of.

3 was pretty popular, with fan-favorite Paul Pope at the helm, and im not reading it yet, on Jont's advice that i check out his earlier works.

I didn't say you shouldn't read it, I just said that 100% is superior to Heavy Liquid.

I got the Paul Pope and the Richard Corben Solos, I didn't get the Allred one, but you can read two of the strips here. Mental. Wasn't there something about the cover to Allred's issue either there was a version that looked more like Adam West or that the one you posted wasn't published because it resembled him too much.

Archived