Hondo's Bar

Death in comics

The NZA

Dd181.jpg

right, so - how do you feel about death in superhero comics these days?

its no secret that major franchise characters cant die and stay dead, cause money is lost on them - with the exception of the event of their death & return, a la Superman. But with everyone from

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
coming back, are there no boundaries anymore?

You can scarecely name a major Marvel or DC character that hanst been dead at one point. Some are huge events like Superman, some are so weak and quiet you prolly didnt know they happend, like Wolverine or Psylocke. But anytime a charcter dies now, typically:

a) its a matter of time before someone brings them back, either a good writer like Whedon or Brubaker or someone lesser when the well runs dry, and

b) its a hugely-hyped event between the internets and wizard and such.

I knew somoene was gonna die on Millar's run of Wolverine, and though the run was getting stale, part of the hype was "a major x-character" (i had money on Gambit or Iceman). It was fucking Northstar, and he stayed dead for like a minute. Even Identity Crisis promised more significance....Panch pointed out to me how exciting shit was when supporting cast or bigger players dropped without any warning, and though still perhaps a gimmick, it was a lot cooler.

Is it over-used, or does someone have to die to make a landmark in a big event? Is there no actual chance at fear if the possibility isnt there? After Smith killed Mysterio in Daredevil, Erik Larsen (i think it was him?) bitched in an issue of Wizard that it was selfish to "take toys other writers couldve used out of the sandbox", perhaps he shouldve come up with his own vilian to kill and such. Smith cited that nobody cared as much about Mysterio and god knows he can always be brough back whenver, which is true, cause death is so cheap in sone books its made a joke of in others like She-Hulk.

Yet when Whedon brought back a classic X-character last year in Astonishing X-Men, it was still awesome, prolly cause i didnt see it coming.

what do you think?

Oh man... Deadpool #0. Still the star of my collection. That book is the fucking mutt's nut's. Yeah, I agree with Nick though. The two spoiler-characters there(I couldn't be arsed tagging) were like, aside from Gwen Stacy, the last two people that we could rely on to stay dead. Mostly 'cause they were so fucking lame in their day. Now I can't speak for Judd Winnick & his efforts, but _____ was brought back in a plausable & pretty cool way. Doesn't change the fact that Brubaker broke Holy Ground to do it though. I guess there's no real impact in death anymore, but writers can still make it something(ie- Colossus) & even if it is temporary, still make it beautiful, tragic, symbolic or BAM shocking.

I think comic book deaths can be very very cool, especially if it's a major death that has a lasting effect on another character. Deaths like Gwen Stacy, Elektra, Karen Page and Jason Todd have helped shaped their respective superhero's personality for the future. Of course, bringing the characters back sullies the effect, but at least it made an impression. Unfortunately, these days the deaths are too common. Secondary characters die left and right, especially in big cross-over events and usually in completely throwaway ways (Avengers Disassembled). And it doesn't matter because we all know that the character will be brought back within months. If only writers were brave enough to stick with their story ideas.

Didn't 13 resolve it? I know I'm missing issue 12 but... Stupid math! Seriously though, I thought issue 14 was the 'brilliant'* new arc where Brubaker combines Sharon Carter with Cassandra Nova & they bring cap's mother back from the dead so Mr Hyde can anally rape her?

*Nick gives it two thumbs & an erection!!

Nope, just more of the magic of Brubaker. He wanders from book to book getting fanboy's hopes up with spectacular story-telling & high-yeild plotlines and then dashes their hopes against the rocks of bitter disappointment. He only wishes he was Claremont.

i am appalled, i said appalled that not only does skeet read spoiler tags meant to hide shit for him (youre not readin Daredevil? seriously?) but also puts Bru on par with Cleremont. Winter Solderi's end:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

people like you support Bruce Jones!

Eh, i too was hyped about his run on Hulk at first, i wont lie - i got the 1st HC. but a few years into it, i realized it wasnt really going anywhere; banner wandered from abaondoned gas station to another in the midwest, found a hot chick to bang, moved on. By the time Abomination showed up and Mr Blue was revealed, i dindt really care anymore, and was actually happy to see Peter David come back.

Plus, i sunk money into The Call: The Precinct and Wolverine: X-isle which were both so bad i literally wanted to write marvel for my $ back. Have you read either? neither the Call nor :eh: minis are usually esiner-winners, but seriously, these are just shit. Theres more books im forgetting, no doubt. Didnt he do wolvy/hulk too?

Might've infact. But yeah. I read Xisle. Took me like an hour after reading it to finally figure out just what the fuck was up with that title, but echh. Yeah, that shit was pretty fuckin' stoopid. Thankfully I loaned it from the library so I didn't waste money, just time.

After Smith killed Mysterio in Daredevil, Erik Larsen (i think it was him?) bitched in an issue of Wizard that it was selfish to "take toys other writers couldve used out of the sandbox", perhaps he shouldve come up with his own vilian to kill and such.

Wasn't it Byrne, baby, Byrne?

Remember Aunt May died. What the fuck was that?

I seem to remember a point where MJ was dead, too. It was so long ago, I'll never remember the writer or artist but I remember picking up a stand-alone issue of Spider-man that was actually pretty good. The whole issue was just Peter sitting down in front of Uncle Ben's grave and talking about how he's lost his sense of humor because of all the bad shit that happened to him, and all the people who have died. Was a good issue. At least I thought so at the time, might be crap if I read it again now.

panch can correct me if im wrong, that happened towards the middle of the clone saga, and it was actually pretty touching shit as i recall, quickly undone for the status quo.

Panch can correct me too if I'm wrong, but alot of old Spidey books have amalgamated into one kinda-okay story, but didn't Aunt May also admit to always knowing that PP was SM?

2T: thats exactly what i remember happening, at the empire state building or some shit. and then peter woudlnt even let the clone be with her while she died.

Skeet - that was....eh. that story had as much effect on me as Millar's epic "Trouble".

Archived