Hondo's Bar

Sade

The NZA

B00005AWMF.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Here's a thread to one of the women with the sexiest voice ive heard, since, i dunno, Nina Simone (who also needs a thread here, LL).

Most people know "Smooth Operator" (not to be mistaken for Jax's newest alias). The above image is from her greatest hits album, full of great ones like that, Sweetest Taboo, Jezebel, No Ordinary Love, You Love is King and such.

She's one of those ones i dont hear talked about much, but i see this, or at least one of her albums, in most peopel's collections, regardless of gender - wanted to see who else here was a fan.

Says Amazon:

With her exotic beauty and steamy voice, Sade couldn't help but be a star. Taking the more sensuous elements of island beats, smooth jazz, and R&B, Sade scored major hits with the continental feel of "Smooth Operator" and the sultry stylization of "Your Love Is King." Her voice was often criticized for being thin, yet she made it work to her advantage with songs like the haunting "Jezebel," on which her delivery added the vulnerability necessary to the song. Sade sounded best when she stuck to the lower register, and there is nothing thin about her dynamic handling of her torch song "Is It a Crime." "The Sweetest Taboo" was one of her last great moments before years of mediocrity, chronicled here by the lifeless "Stronger Than Pride" and the limp "Nothing Can Come Between Us." "No Ordinary Love" was a return to form with the smoky richness back in her vocals and the urban/island feel of her first release. Best of Sade goes right up to her hit "Pearls," which, remixed, became a dance floor hit. The nicest surprise here is "Please Send Me Someone to Love," with Sade proving that although her range may be limited vocally, she doesn't suffer the same fate artistically.

Personally, i think ive heard others who've tried for something similar - this one chick, Tasmin Archer, had a nice song with "Sleeping Satelite", and others like Bic Runga, Chantal Kreviazuk, and others, but Sade's been the only one ive known of with consistency.

• 8 years later...
  • 8 years later...

The singer and her band got in the booth at France’s Miraval Studios, according to operators Brad Pitt and Damien Quintard