Hondo's Bar

Flight 93

So, Flight 93 comes out next weekend...and, from what I've heard, no one has a problem with this movie so far (context wise). It's passed tests from both sides of the aisle, and doesn't have any political overtones. So I think it would be a good idea to get as many hondonians together, cast aside political differences (which means me ignoring mine, really) and uniting, remember how things were after that tragic day, and honor those heroes on that doomed flight.

What say you all?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was lookin at the movie poster with this one, and Stone's one on the towers....i know its been 5 years, i dont think its gonna be expoloitive, i guess cause i watched the Noudet brothers' amazing documentary again a while back, im still a wee bit hesitant, but if a good group comes out, ill be down.

I don't know. As a liberal, I hate freedom, and will not like seeing a movie depicting a group of terrorists, whom I'm "with" as a liberal, being beaten my honest God-fearing Americans, citizens of a nation that I rountinely and automatically blame first. Gawd, do I ever hate freedom.

So, Flight 93 comes out next weekend...and, from what I've heard, no one has a problem with this movie so far (context wise).

Seriously? CNN did an informal poll and got a whopping 83% saying they wouldn't see this movie. Personally, I'm not sure about it. I have more faith in Greengrass pulling it off than I do in Stone (when has Oliver Stone ever handled history with care and respect?)

I bet youd go see it if there were fucking snakes on that plane, commie.

Yeah! What's the deal with the snakelessness of this movie? Fucking cop out if you ask me. Now, Snakes on a Planes has he snakesonaplaneness I look for in a movie. If the movie doesn't have either snakes ona plane or a lion sex scene with an Elton John song playing over it, I'm not interested, thankyouverymuch.

This isn't the Stone movie.

World Trade Center is the Stone movie, coming out in August I think (and I am dreading that one).

So far, I was reading stuff from the extreeme bloggers (on the left and the right) and they all gave this movie positive reviews. They say it's pretty emotional.

But in this case, I really do want to move away from the ideology here. This is about remembering the heroes of that flight, not about current politics.

Who wants to go? Jax? I know George would probably go. Nick, I'll bribe you with booze. who else?

The trailer has been pulled out of theaters all over NYC. When it came on people were shouting "Too Soon".

I have faith in Paul Greengrass (he directed "Bloody Sunday" and that was phenomonal) and if anyone could pull it off it's him. He has the backing of the families of the 9-11 victims also. The Oliver Stone one...as much as I love Stone I don't know what he's playing at here....

P.S. Town Square..really?

worldtradecenter0ya.jpg

This is the promo for Oliver Stone's WTC movie.

Personally, I don't think we need a movie about this horrific tradgedy. We all lived through it.

I think, Stone is an unoriginal director, who adapts real stories and put a spin on them like a Capote wanna-be in terms of producing a non-fiction novel for the screen.

His films are too long, boring, and often dry.

This material is too sensative... and too close from beginning the closure process, for an epic movie like this.

Like Stone's an authority on this subject?

Hardly...

He will be on the talk shows etc, etc and heralded as an expert on the WTC Attacks.

B-O-L-O-N-E-Y.

Again though, we are the only nation that revels in tragic events, so the bloodmoney this hack earns should go to the WTC foundation and charities 100 %.

Come on Ollie, send Captain McLoughlin's FDNY, kids to college... you can afford it.

In my opinion anyway... ^_^

Sorry to hijack your thread man.

The too soon thing happened in LA.

In NYC, people were walking out of the theatres in tears (for the screening). It didn't have as much problem in NYC as it did in LA.

But the family members of the heroes on Flight 93 all say it's a good movie and good portrayal, and they back it 100%.

But no one has answered the question. Who's up for going to watch it?

I'm not sure where you live, 2Track...are you in Miami?

Wait a second. Is this or isn't this the movie where the lower class but charming young artist sketches pencil drawings of the alienated young darling of the aristocristy topless in the increasing humid airplane lavatory, right before defeating the terrorisst with a synchronized kung fu chop attack?

So I looked into it, and this movie is getting the good reviews Joel said it was. Originally, I had to assume tha when he said

I was reading stuff from the extreeme bloggers (on the left and the right) and they all gave this movie positive reviews

he meant: 'On the Bill O'Reilly message boars on the left and the Ann Coulter message boards on the right.'

89% on rottentomatoes.com is a really good score, considering I can't be the only one that gets a bad taste in his mouth think about a movie based on 9/11. Lotsa critics had to go in skeptical.

Joel, what day and time were you thinking of doing this thang?What's that? Saturday at 9pm at the South Beach Regal 18? OK, I'm down then.

OK, so it's Jax, Bunny, Myself, and Nick (this, if nothing else, promises to be an interesting event). Gunsmith may show, and I'll call Drifter and SomethingManly. Anyone else?

yeah I'll fly down and take the flick in, fly back and then go to work. Sounds like major fun. :muggin:

Archived